» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Rachel Maddow slips on booze

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/10 at 9:00 pm

On her MSNBC "Rachel Maddow Show," commentator Rachel Maddow stated the government made it illegal to drink alcohol.  Prohibition just said you couldn't buy, sell, or transport alcohol.  If you had a wine cellar or a bottle of hooch under the sink, the government wasn't going to seize it and order you not to put a substance into your body.  If you did so on your own property, you could distill whiskey under prohibition, but you couldn't sell or distribute.  The problem is, if you're selling, they're buying.  We can't legislate further into your life. 

The "War on Drugs" mentality:
If we catch you bootlegging we will bring int he FBI on it throw you in jail for 25 years!  The tax to do so is of course quite high, you can imagine!
:D

Subject: Re: Rachel Maddow slips on booze

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:08 am

It is kind of odd that Maddow went on about Prohibition in a segment attempting a parallel involving the NRA's agenda.

She pointed out that the people behind Prohibition were single-issue activists in the same way that the NRA's members are.  Yet, the difference is that prohibitionists were pushing to take away a right, whereas the NRA is protecting a right.

There's a big difference between the two.

Another irony to this is that it was primarily social progressives that pushed for Prohibition.  Maddow has repeatedly said she is a progressive.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/10 at 12:23 am

It is kind of odd that Maddow went on about Prohibition in a segment attempting a parallel involving the NRA's agenda.

She pointed out that the people behind Prohibition were single-issue activists in the same way that the NRA's members are.  Yet, the difference is that prohibitionists were pushing to take away a right, whereas the NRA is protecting a right.

There's a big difference between the two.

Another irony to this is that it was primarily social progressives that pushed for Prohibition.  Maddow has repeatedly said she is a progressive.

There is some very uncomfortable history regarding the outlooks of many well-intentioned social progressives a century ago.  Eugenics, doctrinal racism, scientific reductionism...yeah, a lot of stuff nobody but the total anti-social weirdos like nowadays.  I have spent my entire life hearing liberals yell about stuff.  Racism and eugenics being social goods?  That really went out of fashion around the time of Nazi Germany!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/teufel.gif

Look, here's where the hippies went wrong.  I know this sounds terribly snide.  I'm sorry.  The hippie mantra was "peace" and "love."  However, in their exuberance for individual freedom they lost the self-sacrifice required for peace and the self-discipline for love.  I don't mean sexual love.  I mean humanism of sorts.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/17/10 at 12:26 am

There is some very uncomfortable history regarding the outlooks of many well-intentioned social progressives a century ago.  Eugenics, doctrinal racism, scientific reductionism...yeah, a lot of stuff nobody but the total anti-social weirdos like nowadays.  I have spent my entire life hearing liberals yell about stuff.  Racism and eugenics being social goods?  That really went out of fashion around the time of Nazi Germany!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/teufel.gif

Look, here's where the hippies went wrong.  I know this sounds terribly snide.  I'm sorry.  The hippie mantra was "peace" and "love."  However, in their exuberance for individual freedom they lost the self-sacrifice required for peace and the self-discipline for love.  I don't mean sexual love.  I mean humanism of sorts.

Good points...  but I think we're headed for an era of Social Darwinism and plutocratic oppression.

I guess getting aboard the Objectivism boat might be practical soon...

Check for new replies or respond here...