» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Obama's BP speech

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/10 at 9:12 pm

It was pretty candyass if you ask me.  He's admitting our government is in bed with the corporations...but he's not really saying it. 

Soooo...you're going to get tough with the oil companies, eh? 

How does it feel to be Jimmy Carter?
>:(

Subject: Re: Obama's BP speech

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/15/10 at 10:25 pm

Probably like he might not last four years!
By now, the odds are this showboat is more frightened of impeachment than Clinton ever was! Not that sheer incompetence is a crime in itself, but in the case of the Commander-In-Chief, maybe it should be.
And people thought 1-20-09 would be 'The End Of An Error?" To any who voted for him, NOW how blissful is your ignorance?

Your Pal,
Doc

P.S.: Karma to you, Max!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/10 at 10:45 pm

Probably like he might not last four years!
By now, the odds are this showboat is more frightened of impeachment than Clinton ever was! Not that sheer incompetence is a crime in itself, but in the case of the Commander-In-Chief, maybe it should be.
And people thought 1-20-09 would be 'The End Of An Error?" To any who voted for him, NOW how blissful is your ignorance?

Your Pal,
Doc

P.S.: Karma to you, Max!

Thanks...I was just trying to say sometimes people want to see a more forceful personality.  The substance of his message is perfectly reasonable, it just sounds dry and prepackaged.  He needed to say, "That little pissant running BP is gonna have to come up with a lotta dough real fast!"
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/16/10 at 8:38 am

Does anybody know what aspect of law enables the executive branch government to demand that an escrow fund be established? ???

I'm not all that much against the idea, but am wondering how this is legal without initiating a civil (or criminal) lawsuit that must be heard before a judge.

I agree with Max, the speech was a little milquetoast if you ask me.

My thoughts on the Administration's "spin" on the oil spill...  By stating any number of times that "The Government is in charge" and "BP is doing what we tell them to do", it is laying itself bare to then absorb responsibility for failures etc.  O'bama needs a new spinmeister because the existing one is leaving booby traps all over the place and the Administration is gonna step on them.

Mind you the whole oil spill is BP's failure and fault (as well as the platform operator's); the government's role in "fixing" it is limited by government's lack of technology etc.  O'bama's rhetoric implies more though, and implying that is a big mistake.

My thought is the gov't should, however, kick arse and take names regarding the claims processing issue, because (a) it is the right thing to do and (b) it is a great way for O'bama to score some decent PR with the victims in the Gulf area.

Written By: Macphisto on 06/16/10 at 11:45 pm

Not much will be done, and more disasters will happen in the future.

It's simply the way of the world.  The rich get richer, the poor and working class get screwed.

I can't say that Obama has disappointed me, because I never had high expectations of him anyway.  I voted for him solely because Sarah Palin scared the hell out of me.

We live in a plutocracy...  plain and simple.  Most of the world in general is one.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/17/10 at 11:36 pm

Does anybody know what aspect of law enables the executive branch government to demand that an escrow fund be established? ???

What do laws have to do with it?  We're not a nation of laws, we're a nation of men.  (Exactly how many administrations ago it happened is still up for debate, but I don't think anyone's seriously arguing the point :)

BP was voluntold to put up $20B, and realizing that it was cheaper than the alternative, did so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/10 at 12:20 am

What do laws have to do with it?  We're not a nation of laws, we're a nation of men.  (Exactly how many administrations ago it happened is still up for debate, but I don't think anyone's seriously arguing the point :)

BP was voluntold to put up $20B, and realizing that it was cheaper than the alternative, did so.

$20 billion is pennies on the dollar.  They don't even know how to clean up those marshes...they haven't even figured out how to shut off the plumes!

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/20/10 at 6:19 pm

That's how I feel with Obama...he's my generation's Carter. As Bush II was my generation's Nixon and Clintion was my generation's JFK.

My...how history repeats itself!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/10 at 9:05 pm

That's how I feel with Obama...he's my generation's Carter. As Bush II was my generation's Nixon and Clintion was my generation's JFK.

My...how history repeats itself!

RON PAUL / ZOMBIE REAGAN 2012! 

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/20/10 at 11:45 pm

I've noticed that each of the seven presidents from my lifetime have been guilty of a different one of the Biblical "Seven Deadly Sins", for one reason or another. I'm not counting Ford because his ascension was by pure accident, but take note of my list of our leaders's, shall we say, "Capital Vices"?

Nixon - AVARICE (so hungry for power that he resorted to petty crime to get re-elected)
Carter - SLOTH (Once the Camp David Accords were signed, he acted like nothing else(like inflation!) needed his attention)
Reagan - PRIDE (OK, but it was National Pride, which brought us back from the 70's malaise and helped us win the Cold War!)
Bush, Sr. - ENVY (I do admit, he seemed to spend all his four years trying to get out from Reagan's shadow)
Clinton - LUST (Obviously, and the morality of the entire nation has never been the same!)
Bush, Jr. - WRATH (Kind of understandable since it was brought on by 9/11, and who cares if it was felt by terrorists?)

Which leaves Obama, who by now we all wish would leave, and his sin is clearly GLUTTONY. He craves and indulges in all the perks and trappings of the Presidency, but he doesn't bother to listen to the American people, and in a year and a half he hasn't done any work!

Food For Thought.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/10 at 1:38 am

RON PAUL / ZOMBIE REAGAN 2012! 

That would be Hunter S. Thompson's ticket, I think! 

I'd like to see Alvin Greene as press secretary!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 06/27/10 at 5:55 pm

I've noticed that each of the seven presidents from my lifetime have been guilty of a different one of the Biblical "Seven Deadly Sins", for one reason or another. I'm not counting Ford because his ascension was by pure accident, but take note of my list of our leaders's, shall we say, "Capital Vices"?

Nixon - AVARICE (so hungry for power that he resorted to petty crime to get re-elected)
Carter - SLOTH (Once the Camp David Accords were signed, he acted like nothing else(like inflation!) needed his attention)
Reagan - PRIDE (OK, but it was National Pride, which brought us back from the 70's malaise and helped us win the Cold War!)
Bush, Sr. - ENVY (I do admit, he seemed to spend all his four years trying to get out from Reagan's shadow)
Clinton - LUST (Obviously, and the morality of the entire nation has never been the same!)
Bush, Jr. - WRATH (Kind of understandable since it was brought on by 9/11, and who cares if it was felt by terrorists?)

Which leaves Obama, who by now we all wish would leave, and his sin is clearly GLUTTONY. He craves and indulges in all the perks and trappings of the Presidency, but he doesn't bother to listen to the American people, and in a year and a half he hasn't done any work!

Food For Thought.

Your Pal,
Doc

I'd say Bush's vice was Cheney -- possibly the worst vice of all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/10 at 6:01 pm

I'd say Bush's vice was Cheney -- possibly the worst vice of all.

Touché!

BTW, I'm really glad you pulled through again, Mr. Veep!  My world would not be the same without your grace and majesty!
:-*

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/10 at 6:11 pm

Touché!

BTW, I'm really glad you pulled through again, Mr. Veep!  My world would not be the same without your grace and majesty!
:-*

I still want to see him in an orange jumpsuit and behind bars. I know, I know. But a girl can dream, can't she?

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/10 at 6:21 pm

I still want to see him in an orange jumpsuit and behind bars. I know, I know. But a girl can dream, can't she?

As long as he was in an orange jumpsuit behind bars AND incommunicado.  I don't want the bastid stirring up no trouble!  Otherwise, I'd give him whatever he wants, and continue attending to his medical needs.  So he'll have his heart machine and the latest issue of Foreign Affairs or Hustler, or whatever Cheney reads -- in an orange jumpsuit and behind bars.
:)

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/03/10 at 2:28 pm

As long as he was in an orange jumpsuit behind bars AND incommunicado.  I don't want the bastid stirring up no trouble!  Otherwise, I'd give him whatever he wants, and continue attending to his medical needs.  So he'll have his heart machine and the latest issue of Foreign Affairs or Hustler, or whatever Cheney reads -- in an orange jumpsuit and behind bars.
:)

I don't think Cheney can after getting out of the Hospital.

I think Cheney may be in a prison and it's name won't be Guantanamo...it will be Nursing Home! ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...