» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Mitsui and Andarko Petroleum... Hiding in the Tall grass?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/20/10 at 9:14 am

Not sure if this has been addressed in the various oil spill threads or not.

That big gusher in the Gulf is owned 25% by Andarko Petroleum (a Texas company), and Mitsui Petroleum, a Japanese company and subsidiary of Mitsui Inc.

Seems to me that as substantial equity owners in the oil well, they should likewise be expected to pony up gigabucks towards the cleanup.  I do not know about Andarko, but Mitsui is dripping with cash and cash-generating resources.

Andarko has started rumbling (words to the effect) "Not me, master, it was those rat b*stards at BP that messed this whole thing up.".  Mitsui as been characteristically quiet.

I would have no problem at all if O'bama put the smack down on these guys to cough up some dough for the damages slush fund.  I'm talking billions here, prolly something like $5B or so.

What say you? ???

Subject: Re: Mitsui and Andarko Petroleum... Hiding in the Tall grass?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/10 at 8:14 pm

They gotta get the three CEOs together and work this thing out.  Obama needs to take a more John Gotti approach.  To paraphrase Robin Williams, they need to meet at a place called Vinnie's Clam Bar.  Lock all the doors, and say:
"Youse guys, sit-the-f**k-DOWN!  Nobody's goin' no place 'till we make a few decisions here!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Subject: Re: Mitsui and Andarko Petroleum... Hiding in the Tall grass?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/10 at 5:32 am

I would surmise(big word of the day  ;D ) that BP is the general contractor.  In order to not get into having to go after each individual sub contractor, what a nightmare that would be, the U.S. just goes after the general contractor and the general contractor chases the subs for their share of the liability, which is probably written into the contracts.

Check for new replies or respond here...