» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: General McChrystal in DEEP Doody

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/10 at 12:16 pm

Based on what has been running in the news today, I would be very surprised if he keeps his job.  My opinion, O'bama has to fire him.

Certainly will ruffle feathers with the Afghans and Pakistanis, but McChrystal's mouth has gotten himself in an untenable position.  WTH was he thinking about, making those comments to a Rolling Stone reporter? ???

That's gotta be a loooooooooong plane ride to Washington today.

Subject: Re: General McChrystal in DEEP Doody

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/22/10 at 6:57 pm

He fired his press agent already.  I guess I understand that, the press agent should have known what a gigantic jerk his boss was and protected him from anyone that could figure that out.

I'm sure he won't be fired right away, but I'm sure he'll be out of the job sometime in the next six months.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/10 at 7:12 pm

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the Oval Office tomorrow.  The President is justifiably gonna rip him a new one.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/10 at 9:19 pm

I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the Oval Office tomorrow.  The President is justifiably gonna rip him a new one.   :o

I'd rather see Truman firing MacArthur. 

MacArthur though Truman, a former captain, didn't know squat.  Same thing could be applied here.

I heard the word "insubordination" tossed around earlier today.  I think Obama's got to fire McChrystal.  He's gotta show the military who's boss around here.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/10 at 9:10 am

I think Obama's got to fire McChrystal.  He's gotta show the military who's boss around here.

I agree.  This is a case where O'bama has to demonstrate who is the Commander-in-Chief.  Off with McChrystal's head.

I will not criticize O'bama's timing on this, other than to say that I woulda whacked the general yesterday. And oddly enough, the most serious charge I would have against him is his mockery of the Vice President.  That is clearly completely out of line.  The rest of his behavior was not becoming a high officer either.

(Mind you, I mock Biden all the time.  But I am not supreme commander of US forces in an active war zone either).

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/23/10 at 1:46 pm

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704629804575324673218719434.html

he's done... Petraeus is back.  I honestly don't think what he said was even that bad, but I guess Obama can't look weak to the troops. Reading the history of this guy, it's weird he was ever put in charge in the first place.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/23/10 at 2:51 pm

No way Obama could have let him stay.  A military man in his position "talking out of the house" and to a journalist no less is a serious breach of protocol.  If he doesn't have the judgement to keep his mouth shut in that situation I would definitely wonder about him.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/10 at 7:54 pm

Poor McChrystal.  It's not like he made those remarks in Foreign Affairs.  He was talking to frikkin' Rolling Stone, which is now a notch above Mad.

http://www.iwise.com/authorIcons/9825/Alfred%20E%20Newman_128x128.png

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/24/10 at 9:43 am

McChrystal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDA4lcw8k1g&feature=related

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/10 at 9:37 pm

Well, now they've got General Petri Dish back on the scene!

Listen, baby, about Afghanistan, we gotta leave.  They don't want us around and in 30 years, they're still not going to want us around.  It's a damned expensive operation. 

Or do we still want to borrow more from China.

What would our Founding Fathers say if they knew we were borrowing billions from the Chinese to fund foreign entanglements?

Anyway, we can borrow more from China, just don't regret when they come for the debt!
8)

Written By: gmann on 06/24/10 at 11:06 pm

With all due respect to the president, who knows more about what's going on in the warzone on a daily basis than the military? I'm not suggesting the president doesn't have a right to hire and fire as he sees fit, but it seems far too easy for the top dog to get a big head. To me, this situation smacks of egomania on both sides.
The White House and the military certainly need to be on the same page during wartime. However, the latter shouldn't be micromanaged by the former. Similar actions have done little good for us in previous conflicts. Take Vietnam, for example.
That having been said, General McChrystal could have certainly been more diplomatic.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/25/10 at 9:27 am

With all due respect to the president, who knows more about what's going on in the warzone on a daily basis than the military? I'm not suggesting the president doesn't have a right to hire and fire as he sees fit, but it seems far too easy for the top dog to get a big head. To me, this situation smacks of egomania on both sides.
The White House and the military certainly need to be on the same page during wartime. However, the latter shouldn't be micromanaged by the former. Similar actions have done little good for us in previous conflicts. Take Vietnam, for example.
That having been said, General McChrystal could have certainly been more diplomatic.

O'bama did what needed to be done. As McCain stated, the military works for the civilian authority, and if an officer cannot respect that then he must resign. 

The USA has a long tradition (by law and politically) of requiring the military heirarchy to serve the civilian administration. McChrystal repeatedly scoffed at the President's team in front of his subordinates and that is absolutely wrong. O'bama really had no other choice given the general's egregious behavior.

Does not matter if I usually agree with O'bama or not. The General committed a mortal sin and got what he had coming. He'd tell you the very same thing. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/10 at 8:13 pm

O'bama did what needed to be done. As McCain stated, the military works for the civilian authority, and if an officer cannot respect that then he must resign. 

The USA has a long tradition (by law and politically) of requiring the military heirarchy to serve the civilian administration. McChrystal repeatedly scoffed at the President's team in front of his subordinates and that is absolutely wrong. O'bama really had no other choice given the general's egregious behavior.

Does not matter if I usually agree with O'bama or not. The General committed a mortal sin and got what he had coming. He'd tell you the very same thing. 

I agree.  What McChrystal did was not an immediate threat to national security, but we must stick to strict protocol when it comes to the chain of command.  If that gets loosey-goosey, all hell could break out if we were fighting a war was crucial to our survival.  We haven't confronted such a scenario in seventy years.  Perhaps we are forgetting what it was like.

Check for new replies or respond here...