» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Internet kill switch?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/26/10 at 4:11 pm

If Joseph Lieberman, has his way, then yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtOZQcBSYLE

Subject: Re: Internet kill switch?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/10 at 4:28 pm

Be afraid! Be very afraid!!!

That is just total bullsh!t!!!! Faux news is once again trying to scare people into thinking that Obama is going to take away their rights. If they really looked into it, it was Dubya who was trying to take away people's rights and was trying to be Big Brother.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/26/10 at 5:16 pm

It wouldn't be all too surprised, since Faux News is really great at doing that.

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/26/10 at 6:50 pm

Could they really turn off the whole Internet?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/10 at 11:03 pm

Could they really turn off the whole Internet?

Yes, but it'd be a cure worse than most of the diseases that could cause it.  It'd take a few days for people to use wireless access points and HAM radios to rebuild a mesh network that could access the rest of the world's "Internet".  It'd be flaky, but it'd sorta-work.  Funny thing is, the resulting darknet would make the surveillance job even harder for the government.  Better to let a thousand flowers bloom, and snip off the ones that draw too much attention to themselves.

The confusing bit is why the government wants the power in the first place.  Then again, "just in case", and "because it's a power, and therefore we want it" are reasons enough.  I'm seriously hard-pressed to think of situations where it'd actually be useful.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/10 at 10:37 am

Yes, but it'd be a cure worse than most of the diseases that could cause it.  It'd take a few days for people to use wireless access points and HAM radios to rebuild a mesh network that could access the rest of the world's "Internet".  It'd be flaky, but it'd sorta-work.  Funny thing is, the resulting darknet would make the surveillance job even harder for the government.  Better to let a thousand flowers bloom, and snip off the ones that draw too much attention to themselves.

The confusing bit is why the government wants the power in the first place.  Then again, "just in case", and "because it's a power, and therefore we want it" are reasons enough.  I'm seriously hard-pressed to think of situations where it'd actually be useful.

How much commerce in the U.S. now relies on the Internet?  What would "shutting down" the Internet do to economic indices, even if it was just a few days? 

I'm not a big shopper so it's easy for me to forget there are millions of people buying and selling millions of products and services on the Internet every hour of every day. 

As for those of us who see the Internet's greatest value as a conduit for free speech (rather than commerce), maybe it would be a good idea to start cobbling together an "extra-net" with those HAM radios and wifi kits NOW before the government goes all China on our azz!
:o

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/30/10 at 10:12 am

Seems to me that this is a tempest in a tea pot.  There is nothing new here, just an attempt at clarification from what I have read.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/05/10 at 12:59 am

He already has the power...this bill is just creating another bureaucratic office for us to pay way too much money for (which will do basically nada)...not to mention the bill, IF it passes, doesn't even go into effect until (I think) 2012. People are making it seem like ONLY Obama will have this "power"...I really wish people would get their facts straight ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/10 at 1:23 am

Kill the Internet = Civil war and chaos.

We'll be surprised how we're able to live with ourselves doing what we had to do to protect ourselves!
:o

Written By: Dagwood on 07/05/10 at 8:31 am

How much commerce in the U.S. now relies on the Internet?  What would "shutting down" the Internet do to economic indices, even if it was just a few days? 

It's more than just commerce.  The company I work for gets the majority of its work via email and FTP programs.  Saves on shipping tons of paper and kills less trees.  If the internet were shut down it would kill the company. 

Check for new replies or respond here...