» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: GOP Candidate thinks babies conceived via rape are just part of God's plan

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/30/10 at 3:21 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/06/29/angle-abortion-god/

MANDERS: Is there any reason at all for an abortion?

ANGLE: Not in my book.

MANDERS: So, in other words, rape and incest would not be something?

ANGLE: You know, I’m a Christian, and I believe that God has a plan and a purpose for each one of our lives and that he can intercede in all kinds of situations and we need to have a little faith in many things.

gee... I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.  excuse me please.

and in case you have to ask, she is a Tea Party favorite.  I'm sure based on the above quote though, you didn't need to ask.

Subject: Re: GOP Candidate thinks babies conceived via rape are just part of God's plan

Written By: EthanM on 06/30/10 at 6:45 pm

I think I'd have an easier time believing in an interceding God if she got hit with a stray tennis ball and had to have her jaw wired shut.

Subject: Re: GOP Candidate thinks babies conceived via rape are just part of God's plan

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/10 at 6:50 pm

I think I'd have an easier time believing in an interceding God if she got hit with a stray tennis ball and had to have her jaw wired shut.

;D ;D ;D ;D

And karma for making me laugh.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 06/30/10 at 9:04 pm

Only religion is capable of twisting people's logic this much.

The same part of the brain associated with piousness is also associated with schizophrenia...  this is a perfect example of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/10 at 12:06 am

Only religion is capable of twisting people's logic this much.

The same part of the brain associated with piousness is also associated with schizophrenia...   this is a perfect example of it.

Are you distinguishing "piousness" from "piety" here?
???

Written By: Macphisto on 07/01/10 at 7:37 pm

Are you distinguishing "piousness" from "piety" here?
???

What's the difference?  I thought they meant the same thing?...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/10 at 8:59 pm

Synonymous.

Whereas, faith and reason are not antonyms. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/02/10 at 5:34 am

So it isn't rape, it's intercession.  Well that's okay, then.  ::)

Written By: Macphisto on 07/03/10 at 1:28 pm

Synonymous.

Whereas, faith and reason are not antonyms. 

True, but faith without evidence is the opposite of reason.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/10 at 6:18 pm

True, but faith without evidence is the opposite of reason.

Faith is the determined belief in something absent demonstrable evidence.  The Objectivists and the atheists tend to get their jollies ridiculing that which cannot be scientifically proven.  Fine by me.  In America, that's their Constitutional right.
8)

However, faith must not preclude the faithful from employing reason in temporal matters. 

Written By: Red Ant on 07/03/10 at 6:32 pm

I think I'd have an easier time believing in an interceding God if she got hit with a stray tennis ball...

or a dump truck.

Ant

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/10 at 12:36 am

ANGLE: You know, I’m a Christian, and I believe that

No, Ms. Angle, you're not.  You're either a fracking Scilon, or you're an unknowing Scilon dupe.  Either way, you're not fit for office.  And that's without finishing your quote :)

(There.  I said it.  I feel better.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/04/10 at 1:49 am

They can say what they want, but they'll never overturn Roe v. Wade...and stifle one of their most lucrative issues?

Written By: philbo on 07/05/10 at 5:41 am

However, faith must not preclude the faithful from employing reason in temporal matters. 

Not sure about the "must".. it "should" not, but quite frequently it does.

The problem (which for some causes true, complete cognitive dissonance) is where reason leads you to a different conclusion than faith would: how does the mind resolve something that your bible/koran/Guru Granth Sahib/whatever says is/should be one way, but evidence/reason/simple humanity says is another..

Written By: Frank on 07/07/10 at 10:11 am

The problem (which for some causes true, complete cognitive dissonance) is where reason leads you to a different conclusion than faith would: how does the mind resolve something that your bible/koran/Guru Granth Sahib/whatever says is/should be one way, but evidence/reason/simple humanity says is another..

A lot of it is also what you are taught in your place of worship, and how you were taught to interpret your bible, Koran, etc...
And how you interpret it yourself after trying to study it.

What I believe (as a Christian) and how I react to things as a Christian can be quite different from how other Christians react. My views are quite different from ANGLE.

Written By: EthanM on 07/07/10 at 12:24 pm

No, Ms. Angle, you're not.  You're either a fracking Scilon, or you're an unknowing Scilon dupe.  Either way, you're not fit for office.  And that's without finishing your quote :)

(There.  I said it.  I feel better.)

No one loves people with cult followings more than the tea party

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/10 at 12:31 pm

I appreciate the above as one of the great theological questions.  However, we could go on about it for 10 pages and still be no closer to solving the conundrum!

The sad thing for the right wing is Christianity becomes a negative identity.  Identifying as Christian for people such as Angle means emphasizing you're not a Jew, you're not a Muslim, you're not a secular humanist, you're not an atheist, you're not a big city liberal, etc. etc.  In other words, it's a form of soft bigotry and that's a pitiful way to show your faith.
::)

Written By: tv on 07/07/10 at 6:19 pm

Sharon Angle should took a lesson from Rand Paul and be quiet. The more Angle talks the more Harry Reid can use all the crap that Angle says against her in this Senate race. I can't believe Angle even won the Republican Nomination to take on Reid.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/07/10 at 9:09 pm

Sharon Angle should took a lesson from Rand Paul and be quiet. The more Angle talks the more Harry Reid can use all the crap that Angle says against her in this Senate race. I can't believe Angle even won the Republican Nomination to take on Reid.

Rand Paul should talk -- by which I mean Rand talked too much himself!  I am skeptical of their brand of libertarianism resulting in greater liberty for most folks.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/08/10 at 10:42 am

A lot of it is also what you are taught in your place of worship, and how you were taught to interpret your bible, Koran, etc...
And how you interpret it yourself after trying to study it.

What I believe (as a Christian) and how I react to things as a Christian can be quite different from how other Christians react. My views are quite different from ANGLE.

That's because you are a reasonable and intelligent man (reasonable implying that you rely on reason), and are sane

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/10 at 8:32 pm

That's because you are a reasonable and intelligent man (reasonable implying that you rely on reason), and are sane

My larger point was the theory that religious faith are governed by the same part of the brain as schizophrenia is meaningless.

Schizophrenia is an organic brain disorder that interferes with cognition and a person's ability to interpret reality.  Of course it's going to be in the same part of the brain!

Were some of our religious/mystic visionaries undiagnosed schizophrenics?  I don't doubt it, but I think the number is far lower than the Objectivists would have you believe.  Far too often schizophrenics suffer from a poverty of speech and their thought processes are disjointed (hence the meaning of schizophrenia -- "shattered mind").  These are not good candidates for visionary/holy man school.
:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/10 at 12:23 am

Just when you thought it couldn't go further off the deep end...

"I think that two wrongs don't make a right. And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade."

- Nevada U.S. Senate candidate Sharron Angle (R), quoted by the Huffington Post, on advising a young girl raped by her father against seeking an abortion.

Ms. Angle, you're too crazy even for what little remains of the once-grand-old Republican party, so allow me to suggest a political party more appropriate for you.  It involves lemons.  It's like a party with lemons.  The sort of thing that might happen if a bunch of lemons got together to celebrate some sort of thing.  Yeah, that party.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/10 at 12:29 am

They can say anything they want, but they all know the don't really want Roe v. Wade overturned.  That's one of the national rallying cries of the Right.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/09/10 at 1:00 am

They can say anything they want, but they all know the don't really want Roe v. Wade overturned.  That's one of the national rallying cries of the Right.

For those who still think there are two parties, instead of just one cup, that cuts both ways... the day the fundie-Republicans overturn Roe v. Wade is the day the hippie-Democrats overturn the Second Amendment.  Neither wing of the Party wants to lose a recruitment tool. 

(Don't blame me, I have the same position on abortions and guns:  "Don't want one?  Don't get one.")

Written By: Frank on 07/09/10 at 9:05 am

Just when you thought it couldn't go further off the deep end...

Ms. Angle, you're too crazy even for what little remains of the once-grand-old Republican party, so allow me to suggest a political party more appropriate for you.  It involves lemons.  It's like a party with lemons.  The sort of thing that might happen if a bunch of lemons got together to celebrate some sort of thing.  Yeah, that party.

Angle really gave advice to a young girl raped by her father against seeking an abortion? Wow...
Again, please don't lump all of Christianity together thinking we all believe we'd do the same. I know lots of Christians, none of whom would agree with Angle.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/09/10 at 11:21 am

Angle really gave advice to a young girl raped by her father against seeking an abortion? Wow...
Again, please don't lump all of Christianity together thinking we all believe we'd do the same. I know lots of Christians, none of whom would agree with Angle.

Even abortion foes concede the point the interviewer was making.  The rape or incestuous impregnation of a young teen causes a risky period of gestation, problematic births, and health problems -- often severe -- for the mother and the child.  In the case of incest, the genetic defects can be passed down for generations.  In the old days the teenage mother and her child often died from the complications.  Under the best of circumstances, such a situation might be manageable with the best health care and counseling possible; however, a girl of 14 who is pregnant by her father is not going to get the best of circumstances.  All of that extra care costs far more money than all but the wealthiest families could afford.  If a private insurance company got wind of the situation, they would find as many ways as possible to deny benefits, if not cancel the policy altogether.  Thus, the young girl's incestuous pregnancy would have to be financed from the public coffers.  If there's one thing Sharron Angle and the wingnuts hate more than abortion* it is government using taxpayer dollars to help needy citizens.  It's great for the government to kill brown people half way around the world and subsidize petrochemical companies to the hilt, just don't help living breathing human beings with food, clothes, and shelter, and certainly not health care!

*which I'm not sure they sincerely hate at all, especially for poor women and women of color.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/10/10 at 11:26 am

Karma for that Max

Written By: Frank on 07/10/10 at 12:45 pm

Karma for that Max

Agreed, well written, Max. Well put.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/10 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Messrs. Frank and Carlos!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...