» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hour of Power founder hangs up his robe.

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/12/10 at 11:50 am

Dr. Robert Schuller has announced today that he's retiring and (I think) his son's going to take over the Crystal Cathedral.

Now Schuller should find a retired Rabbi and Priest to play golf with.

Subject: Re: Hour of Power founder hangs up his robe.

Written By: Frank on 07/12/10 at 10:05 pm

Dr. Robert Schuller has announced today that he's retiring and (I think) his son's going to take over the Crystal Cathedral.

Now Schuller should find a retired Rabbi and Priest to play golf with.

Nice of him spending all that money on a crystal cathedral while others are starving around the world.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/10 at 11:14 pm

He'd get much more popular with a crystal meth palace!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue1.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 07/13/10 at 6:28 am

Wonder what his retirement package looks like.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/images/news/photos/badguysphotos/070322money.jpg

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/13/10 at 9:52 am

Nice of him spending all that money on a crystal cathedral while others are starving around the world.

It's not like Jesus ever mentioned feeding the poor.  He repeatedly stated that exorbitant shrines should be built to God, spare no expense. 

After all, his father was a carpenter and could use the work.

Written By: Frank on 07/13/10 at 10:02 am

It's not like Jesus ever mentioned feeding the poor.  He repeatedly stated that exorbitant shrines should be built to God, spare no expense. 

After all, his father was a carpenter and could use the work.

Precisely ... ;)
;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/13/10 at 8:01 pm

The poor will always be with us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/10 at 9:46 pm

I suggest extermination camps.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blossom.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/14/10 at 1:15 pm

I suggest extermination camps.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/blossom.gif

Send 'em to Cleveland...we could use some people after LeButthead left us!

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/14/10 at 8:49 pm

Don't laugh.

Electronic Dream Factory, So, What of Tomorrow.

(starting at 2:40ish) "Some people, you know, have made some kind of vow of poverty.  Some people say 'Well, maybe if I prosper too much, I won't love the Lord'.  I don't know about you, but I can love the Lord a lot better when I have money to pay my bills and meet my needs."

(Sample source quiz: who the hell was that?!  The band was Canadian, for what it's worth, if the sampled preacher happened to have been local to southern Ontario.)

The song dates back to 1990, so the sampled preacher must date back further than that.  Way before the "prosperity Gospel" BS took over mainstream Christianity.  I'm all for greed, but I'm for the Gord Gekko style of greed:  be greedy, but be honest about being greedy.  The difference between the televangelists and me is that they'll be surprised when they burn.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 12:30 am

Hey poor!
Hey poor!
You don't have to be poor anymore!
Jesus is here!
Jesus is here!

--Front 242
sampled televangelist

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/10 at 12:58 am

Hey poor!
Hey poor!
You don't have to be poor anymore!
Jesus is here!
Jesus is here!

--Front 242
sampled televangelist

Son of a bitch.  You made me google it, because the preacher in the EDF track really does sound like Ernest Angley (as sampled, at least according to this guy, in Front 242's Welcome to Paradise), doesn't it?  (How the hell is it that I never put those two together in 20+ years of nerding out to this stuff?  Wish this stuff had been archived by the fundies - because for all we know, it could have been sampled from the same damn (heh!) sermon.)

Given the late-80s/early-90s (read: pre-Internet) timing of the two tracks, I'm willing to call that a positive identification.  If I hadn't already karma'd you, karma for nailing something I've wondered on-and-off for 20 years, because that might also be the link between Angeley and Swaggart, and link Swaggart (and/or Angley, possibly both) as candidate(s) for the preacher(s) in Tackhead's 1986 epic Mind at the End of the Tether).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 1:15 am

Son of a bitch.  You made me google it, because the preacher in the EDF track really does sound like Ernest Angley (as sampled, at least according to this guy, in Front 242's Welcome to Paradise), doesn't it?  (How the hell is it that I never put those two together in 20+ years of nerding out to this stuff?  Wish this stuff had been archived by the fundies - because for all we know, it could have been sampled from the same damn (heh!) sermon.)

Given the late-80s/early-90s (read: pre-Internet) timing of the two tracks, I'm willing to call that a positive identification.  If I hadn't already karma'd you, karma for nailing something I've wondered on-and-off for 20 years, because that might also be the link between Angeley and Swaggart, and link Swaggart (and/or Angley, possibly both) as candidate(s) for the preacher(s) in Tackhead's 1986 epic Mind at the End of the Tether).

Tackhead was awesome as was the Shamen's "Jesus Loves Amerika"! 

The dangerous thing about sampling Southern preachers is Southern preachers are fun to listen to, so the impressionable youth starts to seek out Southern preachermen.  I used to tune in to AM 1100 out of Wheeling, and those guys were wailing! "Oh mah gawd, lawdy, lawdy, lawdy, get Holy!  Get spir-i-tyewl  Get Hollllahhh!!!"

They had one preacher on there who liked to scream about how the Catholic church is the "whore of Babylon." 

Do you find it hard to talk through the bed sheet, Rev. Whatshisfug? 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh3.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/20/10 at 2:29 pm

Son of a bitch.  You made me google it, because the preacher in the EDF track really does sound like Ernest Angley...

I can do one hell of a Rev. Angely impression. And his legacy will live on my Reverend character for my show "Bertstown" (From the healing to the wig...and he'll have some usage of Oral Roderts and Robert Schuller).

Check for new replies or respond here...