» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Tea Party fracturing... due to racisim. Not they are or anything, but um, yeah

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/18/10 at 9:47 pm

some of their leaders kind of are...

http://www.metafilter.com/93878/Tea-Party-Express-Sent-to-a-Detour

This metafilter post has the links to a ton of recent articles about it.

The final straw was apparently an imaginary letter from "We Coloreds" to "Mr. Lincoln" on the blog of the Tea Party Express leader.

Coloreds?  That's not even a term that was in use during Lincoln's time... it's enough to make you wonder if you should laugh or cry.

Subject: Re: Tea Party fracturing... due to racisim. Not they are or anything, but um, yeah

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 1:04 am

The Old Whigs would cry for the ignorance of their descendants.
::)

Subject: Re: Tea Party fracturing... due to racisim. Not they are or anything, but um, yeah

Written By: danootaandme on 07/19/10 at 8:41 am

For those who haven't read it.

Dear Mr. Lincoln

We Coloreds have taken a vote and decided that we don’t cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!

In fact we held a big meeting and took a vote in Kansas City this week. We voted to condemn a political revival of that old abolitionist spirit called the ‘tea party movement’.

The tea party position to “end the bailouts” for example is just silly. Bailouts are just big money welfare and isn’t that what we want all Coloreds to strive for? What kind of racist would want to end big money welfare? What they need to do is start handing the bail outs directly to us coloreds! Of course, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is the only responsible party that should be granted the right to disperse the funds.

And the ridiculous idea of “reduce the size and intrusiveness of government.” What kind of massa would ever not want to control my life? As Coloreds we must have somebody care for us otherwise we would be on our own, have to think for ourselves and make decisions!

The racist tea parties also demand that the government “stop the out of control spending.” Again, they directly target coloreds. That means we Coloreds would have to compete for jobs like everybody else and that is just not right.

Perhaps the most racist point of all in the tea parties is their demand that government “stop raising our taxes.” That is outrageous! How will we coloreds ever get a wide screen TV in every room if non-coloreds get to keep what they earn? Totally racist! The tea party expects coloreds to be productive members of society?

Mr. Lincoln, you were the greatest racist ever. We had a great gig. Three squares, room and board, all our decisions made by the massa in the house. Please repeal the 13th and 14th Amendments and let us get back to where we belong.

Sincerely

Precious Ben Jealous, Tom’s Nephew NAACP Head Colored Person

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/19/10 at 9:14 am

um yeah... totally not racist  ::)

I guess creative history thanks to the right-wing noise machine helps them to forget who bailed out the big banks.  The very white George W. Bush. Apparently though he did it to help out the non-white community or something.  I have no idea anymore what these people are on about, they same to just have their own set of "facts" and trying to make sense of it requires loss of upper-level brain functions.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/19/10 at 11:06 am

All brain function except the reptilian

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 5:54 pm

I think that troglodyte radio host Mark Williams, whose other recent cause was a campaign against the Cordoba House project, is trying to parody the NAACP's continued use of the outdated term "colored."  The organization keeps it because NAACP carries a lot of cache, where as NAAAAP would not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

The economy sucks.  People are nervous and angry.  Let's direct public discourse to bigotry.  That helps the bosses maintain the status quo.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/idea1.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/10 at 6:43 pm

I think that troglodyte radio host Mark Williams, whose other recent cause was a campaign against the Cordoba House project, is trying to parody the NAACP's continued use of the outdated term "colored."  The organization keeps it because NAACP carries a lot of cache, where as NAAAAP would not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored

The economy sucks.  People are nervous and angry.  Let's direct public discourse to bigotry.  That helps the bosses maintain the status quo.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/idea1.gif

The odd thing is, when I was a little boy, my parents taught us Lyric Boys to refer to any black acquaintances as "colored" as a term of respect.  This was back in the 1960's when people referred to the "N-word" in longhand and used it in everyday conversation.  If LyricDad or LyricMom woulda caught us using the N-word there woulda been hell to pay.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 8:16 pm

The odd thing is, when I was a little boy, my parents taught us Lyric Boys to refer to any black acquaintances as "colored" as a term of respect.  This was back in the 1960's when people referred to the "N-word" in longhand and used it in everyday conversation.  If LyricDad or LyricMom woulda caught us using the N-word there woulda been hell to pay.   :o

I didn't know until my teens that "Negro" was considered polite up until the earl 1970s.  I grew up with the "Black" being the polite term before "African American" came into general parlance in the late 1980s.  I didn't know the word "colored" was the Jim Crow term until I started learning about racial segregation in junior high.  I heard some angry old crone say "colored" in the supermarket once and asked my mother what it meant.  She just said it was a rude way to refer to a Black person.  Of course, we lived in NH then where there were precious few people of color!  You had to go to Boston to see more than five Black people in one place!  I didn't understand "Black" when I was little...but they're not black, they're brown!
::)

Written By: tv on 07/20/10 at 6:48 pm

I think its funny the left is focusing on the Tea Party but don;t they look at their own like that guy Shabazz who says "I Hate White People" and the rest of "The Black Panthers"? :(      I think its sad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/20/10 at 10:24 pm

I think its funny the left is focusing on the Tea Party but don;t they look at their own like that guy Shabazz who says "I Hate White People" and the rest of "The Black Panthers"? :(      I think its sad.

The Black Panther Party dissolved in the mid-seventies.  There is the New Black Panther Party founded in 1989 and chaired by Malik Zulu Shabazz, Esq., who, unfortunately, has earned a rep for his antisemitism.  Anybody claiming to be IN the Black Panther Party is either referring to Shabazz's organization or full of bull.  

Now, you will notice Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and other right-wing blowhards on TV keep showing the SAME footage of the SAME three dudes at the SAME polling station in 2004, one of them is armed with a nightstick.  

None of the leftist bigots gain much political cache compared to the so-called Tea Party movement on the right.

Written By: John Jenkins on 07/21/10 at 9:29 am

Thomas Sowell puts some perspective on allegations of Tea Party racism.  He concludes that it is painful to see the NAACP play the race card against the Tea Party movement.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell072010.php3

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/21/10 at 10:06 am

I think its funny the left is focusing on the Tea Party but don;t they look at their own like that guy Shabazz who says "I Hate White People" and the rest of "The Black Panthers"? :(      I think its sad.

As far as I'm concerned, when the "left" crazies gain as much traction as the tea party, I'll be on their case as well.

Written By: tv on 07/22/10 at 7:41 am

The Black Panther Party dissolved in the mid-seventies.  There is the New Black Panther Party founded in 1989 and chaired by Malik Zulu Shabazz, Esq., who, unfortunately, has earned a rep for his antisemitism.  Anybody claiming to be IN the Black Panther Party is either referring to Shabazz's organization or full of bull.  

Now, you will notice Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and other right-wing blowhards on TV keep showing the SAME footage of the SAME three dudes at the SAME polling station in 2004, one of them is armed with a nightstick.  

None of the leftist bigots gain much political cache compared to the so-called Tea Party movement on the right.

Actually that was 2008 not 2004!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 9:04 pm

Actually that was 2008 not 2004!

Mistakes were made.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/23/10 at 8:26 pm

Mistakes were made.

We were invited!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 8:35 pm

Even if it was 2004, FOX would still be showing it over and over again.  It reminds me of the Bela Lugosi footage in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 07/24/10 at 5:50 am

Even if it was 2004, FOX would still be showing it over and over again.  It reminds me of the Bela Lugosi footage in "Plan 9 From Outer Space"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

That was on here last weekend.  It was GREAT!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...