» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Oh no, they didnh't!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/21/10 at 10:40 am

Once again, Fox News and their "fair and balanced reporting", found another victim.

This time, it is Shirley Sherrod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOYl0_sz6o

::)

How can Rupert Murdoch, sleep at night?

Subject: Re: Oh no, they didnh't!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/10 at 12:45 pm

That was what 24 years ago! 

The politicos need to practice CYA, so Sherrod's actions were condemned by all. 

Apparently, Sherrod's father was murdered by a Klansman.  Later, she was in a position of power over a white man and was tempted by racism herself.  I mean, she didn't KILL the guy, she just dragged her heels a bit helping him out.  I agree with Ben Jealous from the NAACP.  What Sherrod did was still wrong prima facie.  However, in the end Sherrod DID help save the Spooner farm and befriended the farmer and his wife. 

As for the "his own kind" phrase, it's not politically correct, but it's a phrase African Americans in the South were intimately familiar with in Sherrod's formative years.

Secretary of USDA, Tom Vilsack, is reconsidering the firing, but I doubt she'll get rehired. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/21/10 at 12:52 pm

That was what 24 years ago! 

The politicos need to practice CYA, so Sherrod's actions were condemned by all. 

Apparently, Sherrod's father was murdered by a Klansman.  Later, she was in a position of power over a white man and was tempted by racism herself.  I mean, she didn't KILL the guy, she just dragged her heels a bit helping him out.  I agree with Ben Jealous from the NAACP.  What Sherrod did was still wrong prima facie.  However, in the end Sherrod DID help save the Spooner farm and befriended the farmer and his wife. 

As for the "his own kind" phrase, it's not politically correct, but it's a phrase African Americans in the South were intimately familiar with in Sherrod's formative years.

Secretary of USDA, Tom Vilsack, is reconsidering the firing, but I doubt she'll get rehired. 

Yeah, but not that's not the spin, Fox News is look for...  They like to edit like crazy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 12:09 am

They really botched it this time. 

Vilsack is inviting Sherrod to come back to the USDA.  She should tell him to go suck on a railroad spike.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thefinger.gif

Written By: tv on 07/22/10 at 7:40 am

No Tom Vilsack fired her before Fox even relaeased any video footage.  Besides Bill O' Rielly aplogized and said he didn;t do his job right because he didn't look at the whole video the night before. I think Fox News, The White House, and Tom Vilsack rushed to judgement!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 9:17 pm

My guess is government lawyers advised Vilsack to rehire Sherrod to protect him from lawsuits.  She might have a good case against Andy Breitbart.  Breitbart called Ted Kennedy a pile of s**t an hour after the senator died.  Somebody's gotta teach that boy some manners!
>:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/10 at 11:41 am

I really hope that Shirley sues the sh!t out of Breitbart. I am really surprised that lawyers aren't calling her saying that they would represent her. That case would be open & shut (unless the judge is part of the right-wing nutcases).

Rachel Maddow has been calling out Fox on all of this (two parts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgvBdlD7xUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6hCoj9Kg6E&feature=related

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 2:48 pm

Karma ^

Rachel is very trenchant here. 

White jealousy is the basso continuo of the American Right.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/24/10 at 11:14 am

Rachel Maddow, is one of my favorite reporters other than Brian Williams, Anderson Cooper, and Peter Jennings.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/10 at 11:39 am

Rachel Maddow, is one of my favorite reporters other than Brian Williams, Anderson Cooper, and Peter Jennings.

I agree. Rachel is an outstanding journalist.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/10 at 11:48 am

I agree. Rachel is an outstanding journalist.

Cat

She's whip-smart too!
8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/10 at 12:21 pm

She's whip-smart too!
8)

She is a doctor (PhD) BTW-but I'm sure you know that.

Cat

Written By: tv on 07/24/10 at 3:52 pm

You know I was just thiinking about this Tom Vlilsack didn't watch the whole tape but I think Vilsack has to be smarter than this. I mean Vilsack was the Governor Of Iowa from 2002-2006 I mean he dealt with things on the state level but this he totally flopped for some reason.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/10 at 11:37 pm

She is a doctor (PhD) BTW-but I'm sure you know that.

Cat

B.A. from Stanford

PhD from Oxford.  That's right, frikkin' Oxford!  She's literally a Rhodes Scholar.  They don't give those out to just anybody, you know!

Maddow is originally from San Fran, but she lived out here in the Northampton area for several years.  She got her start in radio here.  She could have done anything she set her mind to but I didn't know her star would rise so high!
:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/10 at 10:15 am

B.A. from Stanford

PhD from Oxford.  That's right, frikkin' Oxford!  She's literally a Rhodes Scholar.  They don't give those out to just anybody, you know!

Maddow is originally from San Fran, but she lived out here in the Northampton area for several years.  She got her start in radio here.  She could have done anything she set her mind to but I didn't know her star would rise so high!
:)

I know she is from your neck of the woods. Have you ever seen her around?

Cat

Written By: tv on 07/25/10 at 3:50 pm

You know I was just thiinking about this Tom Vlilsack didn't watch the whole tape but I think Vilsack has to be smarter than this. I mean Vilsack was the Governor Of Iowa from 2002-2006 I mean he dealt with things on the state level but this he totally flopped for some reason.
no correction that was 1999-2006.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 2:07 am

I know she is from your neck of the woods. Have you ever seen her around?

Cat

No.  I'm friends with friends of hers.  She just looks very familiar to me.  She looks like Northampton!
8)

Written By: Macphisto on 07/28/10 at 8:08 pm

The Shirley Sherrod thing is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

On the one hand, Sherrod has an understandable prejudice against white people.  On the other hand, her position makes something like this video very inflammatory.

If Obama hadn't fired her, he'd get crap for it.  Now that his administration has but discovered that the whole truth was a bit different than it seemed, he gets crap for falling for it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 8:15 pm

The Shirley Sherrod thing is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

On the one hand, Sherrod has an understandable prejudice against white people.  On the other hand, her position makes something like this video very inflammatory.

If Obama hadn't fired her, he'd get crap for it.  Now that his administration has but discovered that the whole truth was a bit different than it seemed, he gets crap for falling for it.

It wasn't inflammatory, it was defamatory.  Sherrod worked for the government, but she was not a public figure.  She needs to sue Andy Breitbart's butt off!

Written By: Macphisto on 07/28/10 at 8:15 pm

It wasn't inflammatory, it was defamatory.  Sherrod worked for the government, but she was not a public figure.  She needs to sue Andy Breitbart's butt off!

True, I can agree with that.

Check for new replies or respond here...