» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: This Thurs. Arizona Law takes effect..(unless blocked)..

Written By: saver on 07/26/10 at 1:09 am

Probably news will get hot on this this week...

My early postings (from the various talking heads I listened to), said they are trying to say the law is unconstitutional but no one has pulled it/stopped it on that basis yet.
A/some lawsuits state that but what's next?

A block or a green light?

I reprint a list which Mr. Pibbs,(not me), posted on an internet comment column,to pass to those who may like to compare...unless our neighboring countries had a change of heart.

My comment: I find it food for thought. Regarding the lawof the land(Arizona), I was not a voting resident.

If you cross the North Korean border illegally you get 12 years hard
labor.
If you cross the Iranian border illegally you are detained indefinitely.
If you cross the Afghan border illegally, you get shot.
If you cross the Saudi Arabian border illegally you will be jailed.
If you cross the Chinese border illegally you may never be heard from
again.
If you cross the Venezuelan border illegally you will be branded a spy
and your fate will be sealed.
If you cross the Mexican borders illegally you will jailed for two years.
If you cross the Cuban border illegally you will be thrown into political
prison to rot.
If you cross the United States border illegally you get:
1 - A job
2 - A driver's license
3 - A Social Security card
4 - Welfare
5 - Food stamps
6 - Credit cards
7 - Subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house
8 - Free education
9 - Free health care
10 - A lobbyist in Washington
11 - Billions of dollars in public documents printed in your language
12 - Millions of servicemen and women who are willing to - and do - die
for your right to the ways and means of our constitution
13 - And the right to carry the flag of your country - the one you walked
out on - while you call America racist and protest that you don't get
enough respect.
IF YOU AGREE, COPY AND RE-POST THIS Reply   

Subject: Re: This Thurs. Arizona Law takes effect..(unless blocked)..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 1:43 am

I think you will find that most illegal aliens do NOT benefit from welfare/social security programs.  Furthermore, most illegal aliens add far more value to the economy than they draw.  They work for sharecropper wages out there in the lettuce fields so you can buy the $2 head of red leaf!  If you tried to what they do every day for one day, you would be seriously stiff and sore a week.

We do have a Constitutional obligation to grant full citizenship upon any person born on U.S. soil.  I would be VERY wary about changing that law just because our economy is shrinking.  This provision strikes deep emotional chords in many millions who are first and second generation Americans.  The anti-anchor baby strategy is just not good political rhetoric. 

The illegal aliens faring a little better in the job market are forcing many of those Reagan democrats out of jobs because the corporations have no patriotic loyalty.  They'll hire whoever is cheapest.  That was the real lesson of NAFTA?  So a lot working class white guys might discover they're pretty liberal when the U/I benefits run-out and they're on foodstamps!  What made the Reagan Democrats possible was their memory of more prosperous times, which were made possible by organized labor, import tariffs, and high taxes on millionaires.  Jimmy Carter's "malaise" was a perfect scapegoat.  A lot of them didn't even like Reagan, they just felt their sum bit, Cawtah, wasn't getting the job done as the economy slumped, inflation and interest rates skyrocketed.  Reagan seemed to reassure us that if we listened to him, we could have our Ward and June Cleaver lives back.  But that wicked old man was selling a bunch of Jim Jones Kool-Aid the likes of which I heard Steve Forbes holding court about on C-SPAN.  Oh god, I hope HE doesn't get in the cabinet!
::)

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/10 at 4:36 am

The way other countries treat their aliens doesn't matter.  This is America, and I am getting so tired of reminding people of that fact.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/26/10 at 10:08 am

"Send us your tired, you poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath  free..." (as long as they are white Europeans)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/26/10 at 10:59 am

Actually, it should be  "Send us your tired, you poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath  free, unless you are illegal, then I am afraid you have to go back home."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/10 at 11:27 am

This boils down to the same thing with the mosque at Ground Zero & the Shirley Sherrod story: RACISM!!!! Once again the right is spewing its hate & fear of people who are not white, European decent.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/10 at 2:40 pm

"Send us your tired, you poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath  free..." (as long as they are white Europeans)

or canadian..... Northern Border crossers are okay southern ones....not so much...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/26/10 at 4:02 pm

or canadian..... Northern Border crossers are okay southern ones....not so much...

and Russian spies...how many do you think will be caught in the Arizona web?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/26/10 at 5:07 pm

This boils down to the same thing with the mosque at Ground Zero & the Shirley Sherrod story: RACISM!!!! Once again the right is spewing its hate & fear of people who are not white, European decent.

Cat

not exclusively a right/left issue.

All the polls show a significant majority of Americans support the AZ law, far more than the number of right wingers.  Illegal is illegal. Don't like it? Then change the law. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/10 at 5:30 pm

and Russian spies...how many do you think will be caught in the Arizona web?

meh... I think the networks conjured up the Russian Spies to generate interest in all the new spy series coming out...  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/26/10 at 8:39 pm

http://www.quitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/watermelon-south-park.jpg

Watermelon-wearing snowbacks!  Dey tuk er jerbs, eh!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 10:17 pm

All the polls show a significant majority of Americans support the AZ law, far more than the number of right wingers.  Illegal is illegal. Don't like it? Then change the law. 

NAFTA was a disaster for Mexicans.  NAFTA jobs in the north went to China.  In the Southwest, Latin American ethnicity and culture is woven into the cultural fabric.  California was part of Mexico for 200 years or so.  AS far as the Chicanos are concerned, it's still Mexico.
:)

Written By: tv on 07/27/10 at 7:48 am

Cat
Again Tom Vilsack fired Sherrod even before Fox News aired the tape! Besides, Bill O' Rielly aplogized for not doing his job correctly and not looking at the whole entire tape the first time!

Thats so funny the right is hateful towards people for people who are non-white but the Tea Party endorsed Tim Scott(R-SC) who is black for House District 1 of South Carolina.

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/27/10 at 10:03 am

Tell that to the pilgrims

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/27/10 at 1:21 pm

http://www.quitor.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/watermelon-south-park.jpg

Watermelon-wearing snowbacks!  Dey tuk er jerbs, eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzivCJ9pzU

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/27/10 at 4:10 pm

NAFTA was a disaster for Mexicans.  NAFTA jobs in the north went to China.  In the Southwest, Latin American ethnicity and culture is woven into the cultural fabric.  California was part of Mexico for 200 years or so.  AS far as the Chicanos are concerned, it's still Mexico.
:)

YES! Someone who agrees with my father and NAFTA!

And as for Mexico...Some want the land of Mexico back from America...remember why we (America) went into WWI? It was because of Germany Blackmailing Mexico that if they would team-up with Germany, they could reclaim what they lost in the Mexican-American War!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/10 at 4:26 pm

YES! Someone who agrees with my father and NAFTA!

And as for Mexico...Some want the land of Mexico back from America...remember why we (America) went into WWI? It was because of Germany Blackmailing Mexico that if they would team-up with Germany, they could reclaim what they lost in the Mexican-American War!

We should give them back Texas.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/10 at 9:43 pm

Again Tom Vilsack fired Sherrod even before Fox News aired the tape! Besides, Bill O' Rielly aplogized for not doing his job correctly and not looking at the whole entire tape the first time!

It was most certainly going to be.  Nonetheless, FOX managed to turn the PR tide towards themselves yet again.  FOX fans get a vicarious thrill out of thinking the powers that be are afraid of their favorite "news" network!

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/10 at 11:52 am

We should give them back Texas.

Cat

not until I go there and get my Tomahawk Steak from the Lonesome Dove 2406 N. Main Street,
Fort Worth, TX

From the Menu:
Wagyu tomahawk, Maine lobster, wild mush mac n cheese (serves 2) 130.

Obviously I don't want the mac and cheese side dish...and I doubt it serves two  ;) ;) ;)  cuz I can eat!!!!

I am dying to try one!

http://67.238.111.16/mr-content/uploads/Terzetto_Tomahawk__Ribeye_1blog.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/10 at 12:38 pm

not until I go there and get my Tomahawk Steak from the Lonesome Dove 2406 N. Main Street,
Fort Worth, TX

From the Menu:
Wagyu tomahawk, Maine lobster, wild mush mac n cheese (serves 2) 130.

Obviously I don't want the mac and cheese side dish...and I doubt it serves two  ;) ;) ;)  cuz I can eat!!!!

I am dying to try one!

http://67.238.111.16/mr-content/uploads/Terzetto_Tomahawk__Ribeye_1blog.jpg

130 what? Dollars?  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/28/10 at 12:47 pm

It's offical, the bill will be passed, wheter we want it or not!

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/10 at 2:03 pm

130 what? Dollars?  :o :o :o

Cat

well yeah...but it comes with lobster! it's supposed to be one of the best cuts of meat you've ever tasted!

there's a restaurant in Vegas where I could get it but it's 155 there....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/10 at 2:25 pm

well yeah...but it comes with lobster! it's supposed to be one of the best cuts of meat you've ever tasted!

there's a restaurant in Vegas where I could get it but it's 155 there....

For that price you can get an entire cow.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/10 at 3:09 pm

For that price you can get an entire cow.

Cat

where?!?!

BTW here's a portion of a 4 page article in the Washington Post....... click the title to read the whole thing...

Judge blocks key parts of Arizona immigration law

washingtonpost.com
By Stephanie McCrummen and William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 28, 2010; 3:35 PM

A federal judge in Phoenix on Wednesday blocked key provisions of Arizona's controversial immigration law from taking effect as scheduled Thursday, granting in part an injunction requested by the Obama administration.

In a lawsuit filed against Arizona, the Obama administration said the law was unconstitutional and warned that the provision would result in racial profiling and harassment of U.S. citizens, legal immigrants and foreign visitors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 6:18 pm

where?!?!

BTW here's a portion of a 4 page article in the Washington Post....... click the title to read the whole thing...

Judge blocks key parts of Arizona immigration law

washingtonpost.com
By Stephanie McCrummen and William Branigin
Washington Post Staff Writers
Wednesday, July 28, 2010; 3:35 PM

A federal judge in Phoenix on Wednesday blocked key provisions of Arizona's controversial immigration law from taking effect as scheduled Thursday, granting in part an injunction requested by the Obama administration.

In a lawsuit filed against Arizona, the Obama administration said the law was unconstitutional and warned that the provision would result in racial profiling and harassment of U.S. citizens, legal immigrants and foreign visitors.

Judicial activism!  States' rights!  Et cetera!

Written By: Macphisto on 07/28/10 at 8:04 pm

Well, it's official....

Checking to see if you're illegally here is illegal....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 8:07 pm

Well, it's official....

It was always legal to check to see if you're here legally, just not so legally as to be arbitrary.

Written By: Macphisto on 07/28/10 at 8:13 pm

It was always legal to check to see if you're here legally, just not so legally as to be arbitrary.

Well, the actual law involved here wasn't being arbitrary.  It just included a check for citizenship while checking for other violations.  That seems perfectly legal to me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/10 at 8:20 pm

Well, the actual law involved here wasn't being arbitrary.  It just included a check for citizenship while checking for other violations.  That seems perfectly legal to me.

They are going to pick on Latin Americans.  That is what they mean when they say illegal immigrants in Arizona, and most of the time it's true.  The cops have to show they are enforcing the law.  Who are they going to pull over, a white boy like me or a more Latin-looking dude? 

In Arizona, all I'd have to do is show them my Massachusetts driver's license -- and then they'd shoot me.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/29/10 at 4:22 am

What a relief!  I was worried that I would end up in Arizona one day(hardly likely but you never know) without my manumission papers, then I'd be in big trouble.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/29/10 at 4:38 am

Well, it's official....

No, a cop deciding that a person doesn't fit what he believes is the ethnic definition of an American is, and requiring manumission papers be kept on their persons, is illegal.  I would bet that many Americans citizens would be asked for their papers because their ethnicity was Latino, but Russian spies named Foley, Murphy, or Chapman,( who were here illegally )would be given a "how do ma'am(or sir), no go on ahead, no problem".  Since when are Americans required to carry proof of citizenship papers?  The day it happens to you let us know.

OH! OH! OH! and to think it can't happen to anyone it sort of happened to me.(Can't imagine I forgot this)  When I signed up for a class at the community college a few years ago I, with my very Boston accent, was sent a tuition bill as a foreign student.  Why?  Well the interviewer, or whatever they call the person who signed me up thought "because of the way she speaks" that I wasn't an "American Black".  Well well....I am thought to be not a citizen because I am a black person who speaks like I am from Boston.  Better keep those papers in order or I may find myself doing the INS Limbo Rock.

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/10 at 9:45 am

No, a cop deciding that a person doesn't fit what he believes is the ethnic definition of an American is, and requiring manumission papers be kept on their persons, is illegal.  I would bet that many Americans citizens would be asked for their papers because their ethnicity was Latino, but Russian spies named Foley, Murphy, or Chapman,( who were here illegally )would be given a "how do ma'am(or sir), no go on ahead, no problem".  Since when are Americans required to carry proof of citizenship papers?  The day it happens to you let us know.

Nah instead of having us carry papers they'll give us something more identifiable to wear so it's easily seen.... like....this......

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KeRCkrmvfeuuMM:http://jewishmemory.info/images/5000-5999/5605/1.jpg&t=1

OH! OH! OH! and to think it can't happen to anyone it sort of happened to me.(Can't imagine I forgot this)  When I signed up for a class at the community college a few years ago I, with my very Boston accent, was sent a tuition bill as a foreign student.  Why?  Well the interviewer, or whatever they call the person who signed me up thought "because of the way she speaks" that I wasn't an "American Black".  Well well....I am thought to be not a citizen because I am a black person who speaks like I am from Boston.  Better keep those papers in order or I may find myself doing the INS Limbo Rock.

that's ridiculous.

Then again I was told by a co-worker a couple days ago that I'm "not really black because I don't speak like that and move my head when I talk"  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/10 at 10:39 am

They are going to pick on Latin Americans.  That is what they mean when they say illegal immigrants in Arizona, and most of the time it's true.  The cops have to show they are enforcing the law.  Who are they going to pull over, a white boy like me or a more Latin-looking dude? 

In Arizona, all I'd have to do is show them my Massachusetts driver's license -- and then they'd shoot me.

I'm sure Carlos will probably be stopped when we go through Arizona (which we will probably be in Sept.), especially in the summer because he gets darker & darker. Luckily he doesn't have a Puerto Rican accent. I'm wondering if there is a way to get to San Bernadino, CA without going through Arizona.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/10 at 10:52 am

I'm sure Carlos will probably be stopped when we go through Arizona (which we will probably be in Sept.), especially in the summer because he gets darker & darker. Luckily he doesn't have a Puerto Rican accent. I'm wondering if there is a way to get to San Bernadino, CA without going through Arizona.  :-\\

Cat

but....puerto rico....still US territory no? so that would be legal right? 

honestly- I would welcome getting stopped because then I would be on every tv show talking about the injustice.....AZ would owe me some money!!!! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/10 at 11:04 am

honestly- I would welcome getting stopped because then I would be on every tv show talking about the injustice.....AZ would owe me some money!!!! 

Of course PR is part of the US. My point being is that if Carlos is stopped, it would be purely RACIST.

Though, you do have a point, too. SUE THEIR ASSES!!!!! (And I'm not talking about their donkey's either.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/10 at 11:18 am

Of course PR is part of the US. My point being is that if Carlos is stopped, it would be purely RACIST.

Though, you do have a point, too. SUE THEIR ASSES!!!!! (And I'm not talking about their donkey's either.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

I think Carlos would be in a great position to garner attention if he were stopped....sort of like Skip Gates getting detained for breaking into his own home.... ya know....  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/10 at 11:25 am

I think Carlos would be in a great position to garner attention if he were stopped....sort of like Skip Gates getting detained for breaking into his own home.... ya know....   ;)

He is much better at dealing with confrontation than I am.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/10 at 12:07 pm

No, a cop deciding that a person doesn't fit what he believes is the ethnic definition of an American is, and requiring manumission papers be kept on their persons, is illegal.  I would bet that many Americans citizens would be asked for their papers because their ethnicity was Latino, but Russian spies named Foley, Murphy, or Chapman,( who were here illegally )would be given a "how do ma'am(or sir), no go on ahead, no problem".  Since when are Americans required to carry proof of citizenship papers?  The day it happens to you let us know.

OH! OH! OH! and to think it can't happen to anyone it sort of happened to me.(Can't imagine I forgot this)  When I signed up for a class at the community college a few years ago I, with my very Boston accent, was sent a tuition bill as a foreign student.  Why?  Well the interviewer, or whatever they call the person who signed me up thought "because of the way she speaks" that I wasn't an "American Black".  Well well....I am thought to be not a citizen because I am a black person who speaks like I am from Boston.  Better keep those papers in order or I may find myself doing the INS Limbo Rock.

Manumission.  Now there's a word you don't hear very much!  

One time the girl answering the phones at the college told me they had to determine whether I was "illegible" for financial aid.  Some of them aren't too bright!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Then again I was told by a co-worker a couple days ago that I'm "not really black because I don't speak like that and move my head when I talk"  ::)

Somebody watched too much Rikki Lake!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vogel.gif

I think Carlos would be in a great position to garner attention if he were stopped....sort of like Skip Gates getting detained for breaking into his own home.... ya know....  ;)

Not to worry.  Mexican authorities wouldn't let him in because he's not a Mexican citizen!

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/10 at 10:04 am

You would be surprised how many people don't know that.  I would say most.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/10 at 10:11 am

Manumission.  Now there's a word you don't hear very much!  

I pretty much amounts to the same thing, though.  Let's face it, they won't ask Russian spies for their papers, or those with a charming brogue, legal or not.  They will ask people a bit on the dark side with a Latino accent to prove that they are "legal".  They will be required to carry their "pass" that allows them to be out and about.  If they don't have them they can be detained until someone can vouch for them, preferably their "American" boss. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/30/10 at 10:30 am

I think Carlos would be in a great position to garner attention if he were stopped....sort of like Skip Gates getting detained for breaking into his own home.... ya know....   ;)

The only thing I learned in high school Spanish was the accent jou know?  And I could always throw in a few words in Spanish for good measure, jes, que pasa senior?  That would be a kick, all I'd produce would be my drivers licence

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/30/10 at 11:07 am

The only thing I learned in high school Spanish was the accent jou know?  And I could always throw in a few words in Spanish for good measure, jes, que pasa senior?  That would be a kick, all I'd produce would be my drivers licence

Then they will say, "Vermont? What's state is that in?"

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/10 at 3:56 pm

You would be surprised how many people don't know that.  I would say most.

Oh that's just scary! 

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/10 at 4:04 pm

oh I think that'd be awesome! Actually- as a test I start the contact in spanish  and never speak a word of english unless they asked if you could in fact speak english...

que pasa senor? Por que mi alto (forgive my I haven't progressed past my HS spanish from 27 yrs ago and it was bad then...

Do you know I pulled you over

si por que su creier que estoy de mexico

huh what'd you call me boy?

solomente veyo que su es policia senor? (god this is bad I'm stopping now...)  lol

but imagine the look on their faces if you kept speaking spanish and like 10 minutes into it someone finally asked if you spoke english and then you just started speaking very clearly instead of the broken english they were expecting you to speak  ;D

It would just be important to not say anything derogatory or false while speaking in spanish because the conversation is likely being recorded and that could come back on you later... 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/10 at 8:12 pm

You would be surprised how many people don't know that.  I would say most.

Up where I live almost all the Latinos are from PR.  They don't need a greencard and they're entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the rest of the U.S. citizens.  There is a streak of ugly bigotry against Puerto Ricans a mile wide in MA.  I remember when we first moved to Massachusetts and hearing my suburban town blame all its social ills on "Lawrence," the nearby city with a high PR population.  I also heard a lot of warnings about how Puerto Ricans are a-holes and they'll knife you in the gut and not think twice about it.  

Later, when I made friends with Puerto Ricans in college, I found them to be some of the kindest, warmest, and funnest people I'd ever met.  Folks is folks.  If you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you.  

The truth is most people on social welfare programs are white.  Most of the people who are on said programs when they could get a job are also white (Euro-Americans).  Entitled or not, Puerto Ricans will work their asses off at three crappy jobs and they won't complain about it.  At least that's been my experience.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/31/10 at 5:01 am

Up where I live almost all the Latinos are from PR.  They don't need a greencard and they're entitled to the same social welfare benefits as the rest of the U.S. citizens.  There is a streak of ugly bigotry against Puerto Ricans a mile wide in MA.  I remember when we first moved to Massachusetts and hearing my suburban town blame all its social ills on "Lawrence," the nearby city with a high PR population.  I also heard a lot of warnings about how Puerto Ricans are a-holes and they'll knife you in the gut and not think twice about it.  

Later, when I made friends with Puerto Ricans in college, I found them to be some of the kindest, warmest, and funnest people I'd ever met.  Folks is folks.  If you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you.  

The truth is most people on social welfare programs are white.  Most of the people who are on said programs when they could get a job are also white (Euro-Americans).  Entitled or not, Puerto Ricans will work their asses off at three crappy jobs and they won't complain about it.  At least that's been my experience.

Yup!

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/10 at 11:27 am

When I would volunteer at Redeemer, half the people there were Puerto Rican. Most of Cleveland's Latino Population is PR, there's more PR's in Lorain from what I heard.

Carlos, many Latinos in the US (who are legal and/or citizens) actually speak perfect English.

My mom would say everytime when we're at my church would say that down there Yellow Peppers are "Jello Peppers" (Okay, that sound deep). :-
Nah instead of having us carry papers they'll give us something more identifiable to wear so it's easily seen.... like....this......

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KeRCkrmvfeuuMM:http://jewishmemory.info/images/5000-5999/5605/1.jpg&t=1

that's ridiculous.

I hope not...otherwise, I'd have to wear a triangle with a puzzle piece for my autism! >:(

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/31/10 at 12:52 pm

Yup, some of my closest relatives are Puerto Rican ;) ;)

oh I think that'd be awesome! Actually- as a test I start the contact in spanish  and never speak a word of english unless they asked if you could in fact speak english...

que pasa senor? Por que mi alto (forgive my I haven't progressed past my HS spanish from 27 yrs ago and it was bad then...

Do you know I pulled you over

si por que su creier que estoy de mexico

huh what'd you call me boy?

solomente veyo que su es policia senor? (god this is bad I'm stopping now...)  lol

but imagine the look on their faces if you kept speaking spanish and like 10 minutes into it someone finally asked if you spoke english and then you just started speaking very clearly instead of the broken english they were expecting you to speak  ;D

It would just be important to not say anything derogatory or false while speaking in spanish because the conversation is likely being recorded and that could come back on you later... 

That would be to cool.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/10 at 2:18 pm

When I lived in Mass, I heard that there was a sign at the airport in San Juan that said, "If you want welfare, go to Holyoke, Mass. Of course I have been to the airport in San Juan many times and I have never seen that sign.

When I was in h.s. in Beacon, NY, the population was roughly about 1/3-one 1/3 white, 1/3 black, and 1/3 Hispanic (Puerto Rican). The Puerto Ricans I knew were very nice people. But, if anyone at that time told me that I would fall madly & passionately in love with a Puerto Rican, I would thought they were nuts because none of the guys I knew did anything for me (in terms of attraction). But, here I am.

The first time Carlos took me to PR, one of his cousins had a big party. I have to say that I have never been kissed by so many strangers in my life. They all figured that I was part of the family and that is what you do. I was fine with it. I just pretended that I knew them.  :D ;D ;D 

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/10 at 5:35 pm

Carlos, many Latinos in the US (who are legal and/or citizens) actually speak perfect English.

Yeah.... I'm pretty sure he knows that  ::)

My mom would say everytime when we're at my church would say that down there Yellow Peppers are "Jello Peppers" (Okay, that sound deep).

and I frequently say "Godzirra" it's not politically correct but I think it's funny so I'ma continue to do so.

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/10 at 5:37 pm

I hope not...otherwise, I'd have to wear a triangle with a puzzle piece for my autism! >:(

we're talking about second class  treatment of people based on identifying a group of people by religion or nationality not a developmental disability- or whatever the appropriate classification for autism is...

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/10 at 5:43 pm

we're talking about second class  treatment of people based on identifying a group of people by religion or nationality not a developmental disability- or whatever the appropriate classification for autism is...

I'll just... :-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/10 at 12:44 am

When I lived in Mass, I heard that there was a sign at the airport in San Juan that said, "If you want welfare, go to Holyoke, Mass. Of course I have been to the airport in San Juan many times and I have never seen that sign.

Of course that's nonsense.  How immigration works is by word of mouth and family ties.  Holyoke does have the highest per capita population of Puerto Ricans in the country.  Of course, Miami, New York, or Chicago will have higher numbers of Puerto Ricans, but Holyoke still has the most per capita

The "If You Want Welfare, Go to Holyoke, Mass." yarn probably originates from some hyperbolic bigotry Howie Carr was ranting.  One of his idiot-- well, they're all idiots.  One of his listeners probably heard How Carr say something like, "(I bet there's) a sign at the San Juan airport saying, 'If want welfare, got to Holyoke, Mass!'"  That's my guess.  It might be just an urban legend with other origins. 

Anyway, since I heard that rumor a few years ago, I routinely asked people who have been to and from PR if they have seen anything resembling such a sign.  Most of the looked at me like I was nuts.  I soon grew tired of making the inquiry since. My friend Carlos (different Carlos) was from PR and had no qualms about talking of its problems.  I'm sure he would have told me if a sign regarding any U.S. destination for the sake of welfare benefits existed in the San Juan airport vicinity.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/04/10 at 7:33 pm

Of course they're going to -- that's because, statistically, they're more likely to catch one that way.  Profiling works, but people don't like to admit it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/10 at 7:36 pm

Of course they're going to -- that's because, statistically, they're more likely to catch one that way.  Profiling works, but people don't like to admit it.

Profiling Chicanos in Tucson is not going to work.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/04/10 at 7:37 pm

A driver's license suffices for proof of citizenship.  It specifically lists that.

And as for requiring proof of citizenship on your person, plenty of other First World nations already do that.  It's not a big deal...  except to people who aren't here legally and people who mistakenly side with them.

That might've been annoying, but it's as simple to resolve as showing your proof of citizenship to them.

Written By: Macphisto on 08/04/10 at 7:40 pm

Profiling Chicanos in Tucson is not going to work.

Well it won't currently because of the way that the 14th Amendment is being interpreted.  Personally, I think we should be more lenient towards the practice of profiling.  It does work in a place like Tucson, but it just pisses people off as well.

However, it's like profiling Muslims at an airport.  There's good reason for people to be more suspicious of certain groups because of statistical truths.

It's the same reason people distrust people that dress like thugs.

I'm not saying it's fair that these patterns result in profiling, but that's life.  If it was mostly Canadians sneaking into America, then people with a Canadian accent would be profiled by laws like this.  Because it's Latinos, they get the scrutiny.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/05/10 at 5:02 pm

However, it's like profiling Muslims at an airport.  There's good reason for people to be more suspicious of certain groups because of statistical truths.

How often do you see a priest pulled over when walking past young children? 

Written By: Macphisto on 08/05/10 at 6:11 pm

Good point...  If it's any consolation, I think the Catholic Church should be federally investigated throughout every suspected archdiocese.  Richard Dawkins made a good point when he suggested that the Pope should be arrested for helping pedophilic clergy escape justice.

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/10 at 8:38 pm

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/10 at 10:03 pm

ditto

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/10 at 11:43 am

ditto

Times 3.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 08/06/10 at 9:54 pm

So I take it that we agree that we're handling priests with the "kid gloves", so to speak...  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 10:23 pm

So I take it that we agree that we're handling priests with the "kid gloves", so to speak...  ;)

Hey! Pedophilia is nothing to kid about!
:-\\

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/10 at 10:24 pm

Hey! Pedophilia is nothing to kid about!
:-\\

stop acting like a baby and put on your big boy pants. We're all adults here... we can handle it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/08/10 at 2:45 am

Richard Dawkins made a good point when he suggested that the Pope should be arrested for helping pedophilic clergy escape justice.

Warning: There's a link in here that's Not Safe For Work unless you're wearing headphones.  And be careful towards the end if you're watching it in high-definition.

Warning^2: If you're Catholic, you'll really be offended.

Warning^3:  I should probably point out that there might just be the occasional F-bomb dropped in that song.  As in, the largest ClusterFBomb in terms of "F-bombs per second", at 84 in 2:18 minutes. (.6/second versus ICP's F*bleep*k the world coming in at .43/second)  (( and no, that wasn't the link, that was just a warning : ))

Warning^4:  If you like Eric Idle, South Park, Weird Al's Hardware Store, or just make it past the first 30 seconds, you'll laugh your ass off at sheer lyrical genius.  

Warning^5 for Douglas Adams fans:  Yes, Earth is finally in contention for a "Rory" award (for the Most Gratuitous Use Of The Word F*bleep*k In A Serious Screenplay.)

Warning ^6: It's an earworm.  I heard this months ago, and had to put it on loop for an hour or so until I could actually sing it all the way through, and even after that, it comes back to my brain - completely unsolicited - every few weeks.  Not that I'm complaining.  I just love the way the words roll off the tongue now, but it took work.  

If you're still reading, here's Tim Minchin (Cartoon awesomeness, NSFW language), although he doesn't exactly hold it back in the way that Dawkins does.  Click if you dare, sing along if you can.  (And mods, delete if you must :)

Written By: Macphisto on 08/08/10 at 3:09 pm

If you're still reading, here's Tim Minchin (Cartoon awesomeness, NSFW language), although he doesn't exactly hold it back in the way that Dawkins does.  Click if you dare, sing along if you can.  (And mods, delete if you must :)

LMAO...  Brilliant...  and yes, it is very catchy.

Now, if only he would make a song like this about Mohammed and broadcast it on TV in the Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/03/10 at 10:23 am

At least 20 states are considering the papers please or go home and stay home bill, passed by Arizona.

http://www.care2.com/news/member/556653422/2272854

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." (Unless your an illegal immigrant and Mexican, than get off my lawn!)

Check for new replies or respond here...