» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: More Tax Cuts...for the rich?!

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/05/10 at 2:22 pm

The Bush tax cuts turned record surpluses into record deficits, and set the stage for the excesses that spurred the worst recession since the Great Depression. And yet, incredibly, Republicans in Congress want to do it all over again. They want to give the wealthiest 2% a tax cut. Worse yet? Some Democrats are starting to weaken, and might actually cave and go along with it.

Send Congress a message today. Tell them that the last thing we need now is a repeat of the irresponsible Bush tax cuts. After what Bush style economics did the last 8 years, why in the world would we want to repeat that mistake?

These tax cuts were originally passed in 2001. Thankfully, they were set to expire this year, finally giving America the chance to restore fiscal sanity.

And yet, bafflingly, Republicans in Congress want to do it all over again. They want to repeat the exact same tax cuts, and make them permanent.

Don't let them do this. Don't let them tank our economy again. And don't let them mortgage our children's future so the super wealthy can have an extra yacht or two today.

Send a message to Congress today. Tell the Republicans to back off from this insanity, and tell the Democrats to stand strong, and not cave on this issue.

I dunno about this, Bush made a tax cut, there was a small recovery in the economy, we had a War that wasn't worth it so that cost a lot, and in 2007...the housing economy crashed and we're awaiting a recovery....So I won't side on anyone this time!

Subject: Re: More Tax Cuts...for the rich?!

Written By: Macphisto on 08/05/10 at 6:14 pm

What we really need are spending cuts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/10 at 11:04 pm

And what do we pass apart from tax cuts for the rich?

MORE tax cuts for the rich!

;)

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/06/10 at 11:08 am

What we really need are spending cuts.

In the defense budget, and nowhere else

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 1:25 pm

Why do we even need a defense budget when we're gonna let the Chinese take us over without firing a shot!
:D

Written By: tv on 08/06/10 at 4:23 pm

Its funny the Dems were whiining about the Bush Tax Cuts for so long now they want to keep them? Say What?

Written By: Macphisto on 08/06/10 at 9:47 pm

In the defense budget, and SS needs to go eventually.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/10 at 9:53 pm

Its funny the Dems were whiining about the Bush Tax Cuts for so long now they want to keep them? Say What?

Who are the Dems that want to keep the Bush tax cuts?  I mean, I don't doubt it some of them do.
???

Written By: tv on 08/07/10 at 4:47 pm

Who are the Dems that want to keep the Bush tax cuts?  I mean, I don't doubt it some of them do.
???
Mostly ones from right of center states: Senator Evan Bayh(D-Indiana), Rep. Gerald Conolly(D-VA), Senator Kent Conrad(D-ND),, Senator Ben Nelson(D-NE.) Also, Rep Gerold Nadler(D-NY) wants to keep the Bush Tax of some form or another.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/10 at 11:30 pm

Mostly ones from right of center states: Senator Evan Bayh(D-Indiana), Rep. Gerald Conolly(D-VA), Senator Kent Conrad(D-ND),, Senator Ben Nelson(D-NE.) Also, Rep Gerold Nadler(D-NY) wants to keep the Bush Tax of some form or another.

Yep, those are the guys I would have guessed. 
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/08/10 at 1:54 am

Say "It's an election year".

I don't think they'll keep 'em, but it'll make for amusing political theater.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/08/10 at 6:20 pm

I may not doubt Obama wants to keep it...since it benefits him more than us!

There should be a Tax Raise for the Rich and a Tax Cut for the Poor...hell, there SHOULDN'T be taxes except for an act of War, which sadly...we're in right now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 1:57 am

Say "It's an election year".

I don't think they'll keep 'em, but it'll make for amusing political theater.

Even the Ayn Rand disciple former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan thinks the Bush tax cuts are foolish.  He says he likes a tax cut but not with borrowed money.  That's kind of amusing because that was the name of the game after Reagan came in.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/09/10 at 9:39 am

I may not doubt Obama wants to keep it...since it benefits him more than us!

There should be a Tax Raise for the Rich and a Tax Cut for the Poor...hell, there SHOULDN'T be taxes except for an act of War, which sadly...we're in right now.

Obama wants just that, end the Bush cuts for the rich and lower taxes for the middle class.  And like or not taxes are necessary to pay for much more besides war.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/10 at 11:14 am

Obama wants just that, end the Bush cuts for the rich and lower taxes for the middle class.  And like or not taxes are necessary to pay for much more besides war.

I hear analysts talk and talk about why we're over in Afghanistan, but nothing they say makes our presence there even sound justified.  It's not in our national interest to be there.  It only makes the Taliban hate us more.  Whoever killed those relief workers in the north of the country last week deserves to burn in hell.  However, if we weren't maintaining a military presence in Afghanistan, those relief workers would be alive today.

Your tax dollars at work.

Working class young men are going to die for greedy old rich men.  Such as war has been through the ages. 

The war in Iraq wasn't supposed to cost us anything.  The Iraqis would pay us back in oil revenues.  Rumsfeld sad we'd only be there for six weeks at most!

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/09/10 at 5:11 pm

Karma for that....

Like I mentioned before...Bush isn't a True Conservative (both W and his dad), he's a Neo-Conservative!

Written By: tv on 08/09/10 at 8:21 pm

Karma for that....

Like I mentioned before...Bush isn't a True Conservative (both W and his dad), he's a Neo-Conservative!
I don;t know according to "Moral Politics.com" Bush(W.) is/was more conservative than Reagan.

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/10/10 at 10:08 am

I hear analysts talk and talk about why we're over in Afghanistan, but nothing they say makes our presence there even sound justified.  It's not in our national interest to be there.  It only makes the Taliban hate us more.  Whoever killed those relief workers in the north of the country last week deserves to burn in hell.  However, if we weren't maintaining a military presence in Afghanistan, those relief workers would be alive today.

Your tax dollars at work.

Working class young men are going to die for greedy old rich men.  Such as war has been through the ages. 

The war in Iraq wasn't supposed to cost us anything.  The Iraqis would pay us back in oil revenues.  Rumsfeld sad we'd only be there for six weeks at most!

I agree about the wars, but the Taliban will hate us no matter what, and I doubt that letting them alone will get them to leave us alone.
But I was referring to all the other stuff taxes pay for, like education, infrastructure, safety, social services, all the stuff the middle class needs.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/10/10 at 10:20 am

I don;t know according to "Moral Politics.com" Bush(W.) is/was more conservative than Reagan.

He was more conservative in terms of social issues but NOT in terms of spending. Not only did Dubya lower taxes on the mega-rich, he also increased spending BIG TIME-specifically on two wars. And he never did bother to pay for them. The spending on the wars were not in any budget so Dubya went to the Hill I don't know how many times for "Emergency Funding." Of course Congress granted him that "Emergency Funding" over and over again. That along with those tax cuts has bankrupted this country. And that is why schools are firing teachers or shortening school weeks (or both), cities are turning off street lights & roads are being UNpaved.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/10/10 at 1:20 pm

He was more conservative in terms of social issues but NOT in terms of spending. Not only did Dubya lower taxes on the mega-rich, he also increased spending BIG TIME-specifically on two wars. And he never did bother to pay for them. The spending on the wars were not in any budget so Dubya went to the Hill I don't know how many times for "Emergency Funding." Of course Congress granted him that "Emergency Funding" over and over again. That along with those tax cuts has bankrupted this country. And that is why schools are firing teachers or shortening school weeks (or both), cities are turning off street lights & roads are being UNpaved.

Cat

Another generation of this kind of nonsense and America will look like Afghanistan!

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/10/10 at 4:07 pm

Cat

Karma for the mentioning of why Dubya's a Neo-Conservative.

PS-Cat...is this why Cleveland's fudgeed? (Sorry...I'm a little tipsy). :D

Written By: tv on 08/10/10 at 6:38 pm

Cat
CAT, no states pay the teachers not the federal government in Washington DC.  The reason teachers are getting laid off is because state government revenues declined because of the recession. I don't see any street lights off where I live and I live in NJ and we have a budget defeciet here.

Yes I know Bush(W.) didn't pay for the wars.

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/10/10 at 7:15 pm

CAT, no states pay the teachers not the federal government in Washington DC.  The reason teachers are getting laid off is because state government revenues declined because of the recession. I don't see any street lights off where I live and I live in NJ and we have a budget defeciet here.

Yeah, I'll agree with tv on that...Ohio lost 400K jobs and even TPIR Host, Drew Carey made six vids, this is one of six....

096pjEOrdK4

Written By: Don Carlos on 08/11/10 at 10:43 am

Yes I know Bush(W.) didn't pay for the wars.

Of course the fed doesn't pay teachers directly, but fed aid helps localities do so.  The jobs bill that Obama signed yesterday will mean something like 37 mil for Vermont schools and another several for medicaid. The Rupubs called it a gift to the teachers union. On the cities turning off the lights, see the link I posted to the Paul Krugman article. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/10 at 1:32 pm

And how dare those teachers bargain collectively.  It's...it's...it's...un-American!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry5.gif

Written By: tv on 08/11/10 at 1:55 pm

And how dare those teachers bargain collectively.  It's...it's...it's...un-American!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry5.gif
I am not a big union person Max but I think if you are in a union you have the right to collective bargaining!

Written By: tv on 08/11/10 at 2:01 pm

Of course the fed doesn't pay teachers directly, but fed aid helps localities do so.  The jobs bill that Obama signed yesterday will mean something like 37 mil for Vermont schools and another several for medicaid. The Rupubs called it a gift to the teachers union. On the cities turning off the lights, see the link I posted to the Paul Krugman article. 
Carlos, I wouldn't mind if the state governments took money from the federal government if it was paid back with some sort of interest on it but that isn;t the case. This is our money(we the people's money) not just the teacher's in this recent 26 billion dollar bill that the House passed.

Written By: tv on 08/11/10 at 2:06 pm

Yeah, I'll agree with tv on that...Ohio lost 400K jobs and even TPIR Host, Drew Carey made six vids, this is one of six....

096pjEOrdK4
You think Ohio is gonna be better with former rep. John Kasich(R) as governor? Ohio is slowly turning into New Jersey(the John Corzine era) on a state government level from what I hear or it sounds like.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/10 at 2:15 pm

Carlos, I wouldn't mind if the state governments took money from the federal government if it was paid back with some sort of interest on it but that isn;t the case. This is our money(we the people's money) not just the teacher's in this recent 26 billion dollar bill that the House passed.

Yes, it is true that is OUR money and that money goes for OUR schools which teaches OUR children. So, if you fired all the teachers, then what? After you fire the teachers, you might as well close all the schools so you have a nation of ignorant people.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/10 at 2:16 pm

Teachers teach us valuable things, such as the difference between a comma and a semicolon and the appropriate places to use each one!

Written By: tv on 08/11/10 at 6:50 pm

Yes, it is true that is OUR money and that money goes for OUR schools which teaches OUR children. So, if you fired all the teachers, then what? After you fire the teachers, you might as well close all the schools so you have a nation of ignorant people.

Cat
They can't fire all the teachers, the teachers will just have to pay more of their benefits or take a pay cut!

See they bailed out all the banks(the federal government) so why is the 26 billion dollar bill(well the teacher bailout part of it)any different than TARP? I mean most of the TARP money is payed back. Why can't we do the same thing with the teacher bail-out or better yet if any of the 50 states asked for money from the federal government  because they are in trouble $$$ wise they will have to pay it back.

I don't use the schools, I don't have any kids.

Written By: tv on 08/11/10 at 6:52 pm

Teachers teach us valuable things, such as the difference between a comma and a semicolon and the appropriate places to use each one!
Ha, Ha your funny Max but I still like talking with you. Sometimes we agree on things from time to time.

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 10:29 am

The Dems cut food stamps to cover the cost of the teacher bailout. Yes Food Stamps! I thought the Dems cared about the poor!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/12/10 at 11:52 am

They can't fire all the teachers, the teachers will just have to pay more of their benefits or take a pay cut!

See they bailed out all the banks(the federal government) so why is the 26 billion dollar bill(well the teacher bailout part of it)any different than TARP? I mean most of the TARP money is payed back. Why can't we do the same thing with the teacher bail-out or better yet if any of the 50 states asked for money from the federal government  because they are in trouble $$$ wise they will have to pay it back.

I don't use the schools, I don't have any kids.

I don't have any kids either but my next door neighbor does. And the woman across the street IS a teacher (she was one of the teachers I worked under when I was getting my degree in Education). I also have 1 granddaughter who is in school right now. So, because YOU don't have any kids in school, you feel that paying teachers isn't your worry. That is part of the reason why schools are in such trouble today because people have that mindset-it doesn't effect me, so why should I have to pay. Did you GO to school at some point in your life? If you did, maybe you should think that it is time that you should pay a little of that back. You don't seem to understand that schools effect EVERYONE!!!! Having an educated public benefits society as a whole. Kids who aren't in school usually causes A LOT of trouble-vandalism or WORSE. I certainly would want the cashier at my local grocery store to have gone to school. I want to get the right amount of change back. I would also want whoever I am dealing with for whatever reason to know how to read-it just makes transactions so much easier. Also, would you want to go to see a doctor who never went to school? 

The funding for this bill IS being paid for by closing a tax loophole that allows U.S. companies to operate tax-free overseas but, also cutting food stamps.

So, if you are still against helping teachers out, what about police & firefighters? They also got paid by this bill. Do you think that YOUR tax dollars should pay for them?

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/12/10 at 1:12 pm

You think Ohio is gonna be better with former rep. John Kasich(R) as governor? Ohio is slowly turning into New Jersey(the John Corzine era) on a state government level from what I hear or it sounds like.

So basically...Ohio's fudgeed in the ass, huh? (Guess I better leave the Butthead State as soon as I can).

I don't have any kids either but my next door neighbor does. And the woman across the street IS a teacher (she was one of the teachers I worked under when I was getting my degree in Education). I also have 1 granddaughter who is in school right now. So, because YOU don't have any kids in school, you feel that paying teachers isn't your worry. That is part of the reason why schools are in such trouble today because people have that mindset-it doesn't effect me, so why should I have to pay. Did you GO to school at some point in your life? If you did, maybe you should think that it is time that you should pay a little of that back. You don't seem to understand that schools effect EVERYONE!!!! Having an educated public benefits society as a whole. Kids who aren't in school usually causes A LOT of trouble-vandalism or WORSE. I certainly would want the cashier at my local grocery store to have gone to school. I want to get the right amount of change back. I would also want whoever I am dealing with for whatever reason to know how to read-it just makes transactions so much easier. Also, would you want to go to see a doctor who never went to school? 

The funding for this bill IS being paid for by closing a tax loophole that allows U.S. companies to operate tax-free overseas but, also cutting food stamps.

So, if you are still against helping teachers out, what about police & firefighters? They also got paid by this bill. Do you think that YOUR tax dollars should pay for them?

Cat

Cat...

I live in a city that has probably the worst schools in the nation.

And that reminds me of this....

Mvzh82EpWBU

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 2:48 pm

Cat
I wasn't home schooled and yes I did go to school in the public schools. Why should I pay if I am not using the schools? Why should you pay if you don't have any kids of your own in the schools?

Pay back? My parents payed for me to go to school. They are still paying for it even though I haven;t used the local public school system in 12 years.

I understand we want everybody to have a quality education wether its getting the right change back at the grocery store or a doctor.

CAT, I am not against the federal government giving the states money if they need it as long as the states pay it back which is not gonna be the case here.

As for the police and firefighters if you need the federal government to bail them out than let the town or state give the money back that they borrowed from the federal government.

Yes I do believe my local tax dollars should pay for police & fire but if I don;t have a kid of my own in the schools I don't see why my money should be going there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 2:55 pm

I wasn't home schooled and yes I did go to school in the public schools. Why should I pay if I am not using the schools? Why should you pay if you don't have any kids of your own in the schools?

It's called civic duty.  No man is an island unto himself.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 4:43 pm

I saw in an online article the Dems middle class tax cut(people making 250,000$ a year) it would add 202 billion dollars to the defecit. If the Bush Cats are renewed in their entirety the defecit would swell by 236 billion dollars.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 9:11 pm

I saw in an online article the Dems middle class tax cut(people making 250,000$ a year) it would add 202 billion dollars to the defecit. If the Bush Cats are renewed in their entirety the defecit would swell by 236 billion dollars.

And if it's online, it MUST be true!
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...