» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Best presidents ever?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/11/10 at 3:07 pm

According to rankings, these are the best presidents of all time....

ABC poll

1. Abraham Lincoln (19%)
  2. John F. Kennedy (17%)
  3. Franklin Roosevelt (11%)
  4. No opinion (10%)
  5. Ronald Reagan (9%)
  6. George Washington (8%)
  7. Bill Clinton (7%)
  8. Theodore Roosevelt (4%)
  9. George H.W. Bush (4%)
  10. Thomas Jefferson (3%)
  11. Harry Truman (2%)
  12. Richard Nixon (2%)
  13. Jimmy Carter (1%)
  14. Dwight Eisenhower (1%)

Washington College poll

1. Abraham Lincoln (20%)
  2. Ronald Reagan (15%)
  3. Franklin D. Roosevelt (12%)
  4. John F. Kennedy (11%)
  5. Bill Clinton (10%)
  6. Other/Don't Know (9%)
  7. George W. Bush (8%)
  8. George Washington (6%)
  9. Theodore Roosevelt (3%)
  10. Dwight Eisenhower (3%)
  11. Jimmy Carter (2%)
  12. Thomas Jefferson (2%)
  13. Richard Nixon (1%)
  14. John Adams (<1%)
  15. Andrew Jackson (<1%)
  16. Lyndon Johnson (<1%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_Presidents_of_the_United_States

Subject: Re: Best presidents ever?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/11/10 at 3:08 pm

Gallup poll

1. Abraham Lincoln (18%)
  2. Ronald Reagan (16%)
  3. John F. Kennedy (14%)
  4. Bill Clinton (13%)
  5. Franklin Roosevelt (9%)
  6. Other/None/No opinion (8%)
  7. George Washington (7%)
  8. Harry Truman (3%)
  9. George W. Bush (2%)
  10. Theodore Roosevelt (2%)
  11. Dwight Eisenhower (2%)
  12. Thomas Jefferson (2%)
  13. Jimmy Carter (2%)
  14. Gerald Ford (1%)
  15. George H.W. Bush (1%)
  16. Richard Nixon (0%)

Written By: Paul on 08/11/10 at 3:36 pm

According to rankings, these are the best presidents of all time....

ABC poll

4. No opinion (10%)

Washington College poll

6. Other/Don't Know (9%)

Gallup poll

6. Other/None/No opinion (8%)

A fair showing from this 'other/don't know/no opinion' bloke...he'll win it one of these days!  ;)

Written By: Emman on 08/11/10 at 4:30 pm

Andrew Jackson, he was curazza :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/11/10 at 4:31 pm

A fair showing from this 'other/don't know/no opinion' bloke...he'll win it one of these days!  ;)

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/10 at 10:06 pm

What's all this wascally wanking of the pwesidents?
;D

I can't stand the idea that people are dumb enough to like Ronald Reagan better than Dwight Eisenhower.  General Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in WWII.  He as much as Churchill and Roosevelt saved the world from fascism.  Reagan was a b-movie actor who used to be the spokesman for the light bulb company...and, uh, president of SAG.  Oh, yeah, and he was govern of California.  But he was no Dwight David Eisnhower, I tell you what!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/12/10 at 1:20 pm

Bush is in the Top-10?! :o

I'm sorry, Bush is no Abe Lincoln...he's the perfect example of a Neo-Con President! (Tax cut for the rich, war for power, etc.)

And Bill Clinton? C'mon! He just wants to be your friend, but behind your back he's...not only fudgeing interns, but talking something bad about you. He's JFK but more shrewd (Clinton that is).

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 4:50 pm

What's all this wascally wanking of the pwesidents?
;D

I can't stand the idea that people are dumb enough to like Ronald Reagan better than Dwight Eisenhower.  General Eisenhower was Supreme Allied Commander in WWII.  He as much as Churchill and Roosevelt saved the world from fascism.  Reagan was a b-movie actor who used to be the spokesman for the light bulb company...and, uh, president of SAG.  Oh, yeah, and he was govern of California.  But he was no Dwight David Eisnhower, I tell you what!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/rudolf.gif
Max, I'm surprised you are praising Dwight Eisenhower since Eisenhower was a Republican and your a leftist!

Funny you should put Eisenhower and Reagan in the same sentence. I read somewhere when Reagan was a Democrat he wanted Eisehower to run as a Democrat for the US Presidency I think!

Well, Max most people don;t remember Eisenhower as much as Reagan I think so maybe thats part of the reason why that Reagan is ranked above Reagan!

Written By: tv on 08/12/10 at 4:53 pm

Bush is in the Top-10?! :o

I'm sorry, Bush is no Abe Lincoln...he's the perfect example of a Neo-Con President! (Tax cut for the rich, war for power, etc.)

And Bill Clinton? C'mon! He just wants to be your friend, but behind your back he's...not only fudgeing interns, but talking something bad about you. He's JFK but more shrewd (Clinton that is).
Yeah both JFK and Clinton liked to play around the free market!

About Bush(W.) his father(G.H.W. Bush) is known as a better president than him!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/10 at 9:09 pm

Max, I'm surprised you are praising Dwight Eisenhower since Eisenhower was a Republican and your a leftist!

Funny you should put Eisenhower and Reagan in the same sentence. I read somewhere when Reagan was a Democrat he wanted Eisehower to run as a Democrat for the US Presidency I think!

Well, Max most people don;t remember Eisenhower as much as Reagan I think so maybe thats part of the reason why that Reagan is ranked above Reagan!

Disarmament, with mutual honor and confidence, is a continuing imperative.

-- Dwight David Eisenhower

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

-- DDE

How far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without?

-- DDE

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity.

-- DDE

If the United Nations once admits that international disputes can be settled by using force, then we will have destroyed the foundation of the organization and our best hope of establishing a world order.

-- DDE

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.

-- DDE

If any candidate said any of these things in today's Republican party, he would be marginalized and shunned.  If a Dem said any of these things, the GOP and their thugs in the press would make such a stink that the Democratic party would be cowed into shunning that candidate.
::)

Mind you, most Americans lack the intellectual capacity to understand what Eisenhower is saying here.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/13/10 at 8:20 am

I think that Eisenhower, was overall a better president, than George W. Bush, any day of the week.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/10 at 10:52 am

I think that Eisenhower, was overall a better president, than George W. Bush, any day of the week.

Hell, Pee Wee Herman would have made a better president than G.W. Bush.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/14/10 at 11:31 am

Cat

Agree!

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/10 at 12:50 am

Cat

He had the same kind of interpersonal skills as Pee Wee!
(caution: strong language)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-qLZRyQdW8

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/15/10 at 5:59 am

Cat

Maybe Pee Wee Herman should've been veep. :D

I think ANYONE could have made better leaders than some of the leaders we have or had....

Written By: danootaandme on 08/15/10 at 6:05 am

Andrew Jackson, he was curazza :D

What's curazza? I'm thinking it's " a disgrace and should be hung up by the heels and beaten bloody"

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/10 at 4:07 pm

What's curazza? I'm thinking it's " a disgrace and should be hung up by the heels and beaten bloody"

I think they're saying "Crazy."

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/10 at 4:16 pm

I think they're saying "Crazy."

I like mine better

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/24/10 at 4:21 pm

I like mine better

It's certainly more accurate.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/25/10 at 12:50 am

Enough of the Jacksonian hate, and let's have some Andrew Jackson quotes.  

Seriously, what's the problem with "It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their selfish purposes" and "I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States. I have had men watching you for a long time, and am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the Bank, or even the shopworn "Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty".

What happened here?  Did the Pod People somehow come in here and replace everyone with hardcore Cheneyites?

Count me amongst the 1%.  Andrew Jackson was the Best. President. Evar.  If for no other reason than that everyone seems to hate the guy or is saying he's crazy?  Well, so what?

"In 1814 we took a little trip,
Along with Colonel Jackson down the Mighty Missisip..."

He won not in spite of being crazy, he won because he was crazy.  But he won, damnit.  Long live Jackson, America's best President ever.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/10 at 3:11 pm

Enough of the Jacksonian hate, and let's have some Andrew Jackson quotes.  

Seriously, what's the problem with "It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their selfish purposes" and "I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States. I have had men watching you for a long time, and am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the Bank, or even the shopworn "Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty".

What happened here?  Did the Pod People somehow come in here and replace everyone with hardcore Cheneyites?

Count me amongst the 1%.  Andrew Jackson was the Best. President. Evar.  If for no other reason than that everyone seems to hate the guy or is saying he's crazy?  Well, so what?

"In 1814 we took a little trip,
Along with Colonel Jackson down the Mighty Missisip..."

He won not in spite of being crazy, he won because he was crazy.  But he won, damnit.  Long live Jackson, America's best President ever.

You're not going to win many Native American friends that way...but it's a free country.  You are free to love Andrew Jackson if you wish.  Indeed, his remarks on commodity speculation are more relevant to our day than even to his, but that doesn't absolve Jackson from being a genocidal maniac.

On the other hand, it is always problematic to apply current social mores to people living two centuries ago.  In Jackson's time, there was no broad consensus on universal human rights.  "Rights" were something you had by dint of being a white land-owning male.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 08/25/10 at 8:25 pm

You're not going to win many Native American friends that way...but it's a free country.  You are free to love Andrew Jackson if you wish.  Indeed, his remarks on commodity speculation are more relevant to our day than even to his, but that doesn't absolve Jackson from being a genocidal maniac.

On the other hand, it is always problematic to apply current social mores to people living two centuries ago.  In Jackson's time, there was no broad consensus on universal human rights.  "Rights" were something you had by dint of being a white land-owning male.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/znaika.gif

Van Buren was more aggressive to the Natives I heard...and he was probably the first president who was in America's first Depression...or Recession.

Hell...some people STILL like, love, and/or miss GWB! (I don't miss Bush much...nor Clinton nor Bush Sr.)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/27/10 at 10:46 am

Van Buren was more aggressive to the Natives I heard...and he was probably the first president who was in America's first Depression...or Recession.

Hell...some people STILL like, love, and/or miss GWB! (I don't miss Bush much...nor Clinton nor Bush Sr.)

I miss Clinton.  I really do. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/10 at 7:33 pm

Van Buren was more aggressive to the Natives* I heard...and he was probably the first president who was in America's first Depression...or Recession.

Uh-huh, indeed, MVB was AJ's VP when the "Trail of Tears" pogroms started and then President during the most notorious pogrom, the expulsion of the Cherokee people starting in 1838.  It's hard to say Van Buren was more vicious to American Indians than Jackson.  Jackson had horse tack made out of Native American flesh!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nervous.gif

Van Buren also did preside over the Panic of 1837 and a good piece of the resulting five-year depression.  Leading up to the panic?  Rampant speculation in the markets, refusal of the federal government to get involved until it was too late, bank failures, more bank failures, then a one-term president.  Sound familiar?
:-\\

* It's not politically correct to refer to indigenous peoples as "the natives."
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...