» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Stay classy South Carolina - "The Southern Experience" ball

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/15/10 at 3:03 pm

South Carolina Senate President Dresses Up Like Confederate Soldier With Black Slaves At GOP Event

Seriously... someone thought this was a good idea?

What were the people who volunteered to dress like slaves thinking when they did this?

Subject: Re: Stay classy South Carolina - "The Southern Experience" ball

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/15/10 at 3:44 pm

Unfreaking believable.....

::)

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/1582/original/picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/10 at 4:12 pm

ooooohhhhhhh!!!!  I'd like to slap the black of off those two.(a saying sometimes used by African Americans....o.k.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/10 at 7:23 pm

OMG, that's so effed up it's hysterical!  Sometimes you just gotta laugh.

Jon Stewart called SC "America's whoopie cushion"!
;D

http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nfrw-main.jpg

There's other ways o' learnin' 'bout the behind feet of a mule than gettin' kicked by 'em, sure as I'm named Remus. And just 'cause these here tales is 'bout critters like Br'er Rabbit an' Br'er Fox, that don't mean they ain't the same like can happen to folks! So them who can't learn from a tale about critters, just ain't got the ears tuned for listenin'.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/read2.gif

Written By: Macphisto on 09/15/10 at 8:08 pm

Well, it is SC.  That might actually help him in the long run....  :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/15/10 at 8:50 pm

Well, it is SC.  That might actually help him in the long run....   :-didn't show up with two black dudes with ropes around their necks?

:P

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/16/10 at 8:08 am

Why, because the senator didn't show up with two black dudes with ropes around their necks?

if he got elected as a Republican in South Carolina, he most likely isn't from a district that is predominately black.  This probably wins him votes with the white population he represents.  I'm sure he's safely gerrymandered into a nice area.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/16/10 at 9:28 am

Why, because the senator didn't show up with two black dudes with ropes around their necks?

Hey..... Don't give him ideas for next time.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/16/10 at 9:57 am

*bangs head on desk*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/10 at 2:24 pm

If the media gives him a hard time about it, his office will send out a press release detailing all the nice things he done for them colored folks!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil5.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/16/10 at 7:42 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/read2.gif

Wait a sec.  His uniform is BLUE, WTF is that about?  A spy general?  If caught gets shot by, say, ten firing squads?  Or is he trying to be a union general with freed slaves? - obviously not, but then... We need Kathie's input on this

And where has she been lately?

Kathie?  Kathie?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/10 at 9:08 pm

Wait a sec.  His uniform is BLUE, WTF is that about?  A spy general?  If caught gets shot by, say, ten firing squads?  Or is he trying to be a union general with freed slaves? - obviously not, but then... We need Kathie's input on this

And where has she been lately?

Kathie?  Kathie?

That's right!  The Confederates wore gray.

Sorry, I'm not Kathie.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/16/10 at 11:20 pm

The two guys on either side of him are smiling because they know the guy in the middle has just committed political suicide. The guy in the middle is smiling because he's fantasizing about taking a wide stance on the issue.

I'm really not seeing the downside.  Everyone's happy, right? :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/10 at 11:26 pm

The two guys on either side of him are smiling because they know the guy in the middle has just committed political suicide. The guy in the middle is smiling because he's fantasizing about taking a wide stance on the issue.

I'm really not seeing the downside.  Everyone's happy, right? :)

Heh heh! If only they could get a gig with John Boehner!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 09/17/10 at 1:13 am

That's right!  The Confederates wore gray.

Sorry, I'm not Kathie.

I read the early Confederates, the ones who fired on the Fort, wore blue because they hadn't standardized their uniforms yet. There were still Blue uniformed Confederates later in the war due to low supplies, which caused some Union troops to shoot their fellow Union soldiers, mistaking them for Confederates.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/17/10 at 8:27 am

I read the early Confederates, the ones who fired on the Fort, wore blue because they hadn't standardized their uniforms yet. There were still Blue uniformed Confederates later in the war due to low supplies, which caused some Union troops to shoot their fellow Union soldiers, mistaking them for Confederates.

the blockades caused the South to run low on blue dye.  in the later stages of the war only the officers wore blue in the south.

The senate leader is a big civil war re-creationist nut, so I'm pretty sure he knows what a proper outfit looks like.

Still can't understand why they stage these re-creations down South.  You'd think the losing side in a war would try and forget about it. There's some damn strange fiction they've developed over the last 150 years about why it was fought.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/17/10 at 5:58 pm

Their story is clear, they fought to "free the slaves" from the interfering Yankees.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/17/10 at 8:12 pm

Heh heh! If only they could get a gig with John Boehner!

You know...  in hindsight...  Larry Craig was just trying to get a gig with a Boehner.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/17/10 at 11:57 pm

You know...  in hindsight...  Larry Craig was just trying to get a gig with a Boehner.

I'm such a hick I forgot who Larry Craig was.  Brainfart.  Is he the guy who helps you lose weight?  Yes, but not much, a few cc here and there.
8-P

Written By: danootaandme on 09/19/10 at 4:16 am

Still can't understand why they stage these re-creations down South.  You'd think the losing side in a war would try and forget about it. There's some damn strange fiction they've developed over the last 150 years about why it was fought.

God don't get me started.  States rights to enforce slavery, censorship, withholding the vote(Lincoln wasn't on the ballot in the south), free trade.  Please, just.....please.

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/19/10 at 7:46 am

That isn't class...

This is class....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_DUzv-nlclsQ/SqSOzmYEvNI/AAAAAAAACH0/HPC7zcqsF9Q/s320/gwtw+ball.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/10 at 12:39 am

God don't get me started.  States rights to enforce slavery, censorship, withholding the vote(Lincoln wasn't on the ballot in the south), free trade.  Please, just.....please.

And whether western territories would be free or slave.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/21/10 at 6:08 pm

And whether western territories would be free or slave.

Marx wrote some interesting pieces on this stuff in response to English criticism of the north.  He insisted that the war WAS about slavery, and that it was necessary because, as the first confed legislature said "the south must have its territories".  Interesting stuff, I wonder if Reynolds has read it.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/24/10 at 3:59 pm

Marx wrote some interesting pieces on this stuff in response to English criticism of the north.   He insisted that the war WAS about slavery, and that it was necessary because, as the first confed legislature said "the south must have its territories".  Interesting stuff, I wonder if Reynolds has read it.

She probably has.  I am pretty much into it.  The way I see it, to the small cadre of families who controlled the south it was about slavery, but they couldn't sell that to the fighting men, so they told them it was about this vague notion of "States Rights" and the unreconstructed are still falling for that line.  If they were to get an actual education, and read the documents, they would see that they were fighting a war that was only in the interests of the slave holding power structure.  It's the same old song.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/24/10 at 6:27 pm

She probably has.  I am pretty much into it.  The way I see it, to the small cadre of families who controlled the south it was about slavery, but they couldn't sell that to the fighting men, so they told them it was about this vague notion of "States Rights" and the unreconstructed are still falling for that line.  If they were to get an actual education, and read the documents, they would see that they were fighting a war that was only in the interests of the slave holding power structure.  It's the same old song.

Absolutely.  I have never read a piece by Marx that  wasn't cogent and didn't ring true.  To bad his works are "verboten" in this country, even among most "intellectuals"

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/10 at 5:55 am

Absolutely.  I have never read a piece by Marx that  wasn't cogent and didn't ring true.  To bad his works are "verboten" in this country, even among most "intellectuals"

Right!

Check for new replies or respond here...