» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: National Lampoon's Pope's United Kingdom Vacation

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/17/10 at 12:51 pm

Recently, the Pope arrived in Scotland as part of his visit to the United Kingdom. It should be interesting to the reaction, he'll be getting when he arrives in Britain.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/after.warm.scottish.reception.london.welcomes.pope/26724.htm

Subject: Re: National Lampoon's Pope's United Kingdom Vacation

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/17/10 at 3:27 pm

Recently, the Pope arrived in Scotland as part of his visit to the United Kingdom. It should be interesting to the reaction, he'll be getting when he arrives in Britain.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/after.warm.scottish.reception.london.welcomes.pope/26724.htm
He is already in (Great) Britain if he is in Scotland, do you mean to say his arrival in England?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/17/10 at 5:37 pm

He is already in (Great) Britain if he is in Scotland, do you mean to say his arrival in England?

Thanks for correcting me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/10 at 12:08 am

Ooooh! Are the Protestants going to throw Rocky Horror parties or something?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/10 at 1:00 am

But why National Lampoon in the title of this topic (I do understand the connection to the film series), for this is a serious event?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/10 at 6:58 am

At the mass at Westminster Cathedral Pope Benedict XVI expressed his "deep sorrow" for the "unspeakable crimes" of child abuse within the Catholic Church.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/10 at 7:12 am

Anti-terrorism police are continuing to hold six men arrested in relation to a potential threat to Pope Benedict XVI's visit to Britain.

All six, who were street cleaners, were arrested in London and taken to a police station in the capital.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/18/10 at 11:56 am

But why National Lampoon in the title of this topic (I do understand the connection to the film series), for this is a serious event?

It just came to my mind, that's all.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/18/10 at 8:37 pm

Seems to me, as an X catholic, that the pope is a national lampoon, or rather, an international lampoon.  My apologies to the faithful, but I call em as I see em

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 4:11 am

The Pope is in Birmingham to beatify Cardinal Newman on the final day of his four-day state visit to Britain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 4:17 am

The Pope is in Birmingham to beatify Cardinal Newman on the final day of his four-day state visit to Britain.
CARDINAL JOHN HENRY NEWMAN, 1801-1890

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49079000/jpg/_49079874_3070234.jpg
Cardinal John Henry Newman, pic circa 1888

* Prolific with the pen, he was hailed by James Joyce as "the greatest of English prose writers"
    * Born in London
    * Graduated with 3rd class degree from Trinity College, Oxford after suffering a breakdown during his finals
    * Founded Oxford Movement in 1833, aiming to return Church of England to Catholic beliefs
    * 1845: Converted to Roman Catholicism, aged 44
    * 1890: Died in Birmingham; asked to be buried alongside lifelong friend Ambrose St John
    * 1991: Life recognised as 'heroically virtuous' by Pope John Paul II, who granted him the title Venerable

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 12:01 pm

The pontiff told more than 50,000 people at a Mass in Birmingham's Cofton Park that they were celebrating the cardinal's "outstanding holiness".

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 12:29 pm

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5003862212_0c29a882ba_m.jpg

I was wondering how the PopeMoblie was transported around.

Written By: philbo on 09/22/10 at 3:47 am

CARDINAL JOHN HENRY NEWMAN, 1801-1890

* Founded Oxford Movement in 1833, aiming to return Church of England to Catholic beliefs
    * 1845: Converted to Roman Catholicism, aged 44

No wonder the Catholic Church likes him, then.

I love the "somebody was healed after praying to him" test.. as complete, total and utter jokes go, it's up there with the best.  If they were at all rigorous, the test would be *everybody* (or at the very least a significantly higher number in a controlled trial) being "miraculously" healed rather than trawling for a couple of people who are prepared to say "I prayed to the guy (why?  never worked out why people are praying to some random dude) and got better".  As it is, is is about as miraculous as some random pattern that the imaginitive or terminally deluded think is the face of the Virgin Mary appearing on toasted cheese.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/10 at 7:53 pm

No wonder the Catholic Church likes him, then.

I love the "somebody was healed after praying to him" test.. as complete, total and utter jokes go, it's up there with the best.  If they were at all rigorous, the test would be *everybody* (or at the very least a significantly higher number in a controlled trial) being "miraculously" healed rather than trawling for a couple of people who are prepared to say "I prayed to the guy (why?  never worked out why people are praying to some random dude) and got better".  As it is, is is about as miraculous as some random pattern that the imaginitive or terminally deluded think is the face of the Virgin Mary appearing on toasted cheese.

Miraculous cures?

See Eddie Murphy in "Trading Places".  "I can see = I can walk - its a metrical"

Check for new replies or respond here...