» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Party of No Strikes Again-This Time: DADT

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/10 at 3:25 pm

They did it again. Final vote: 56-43. You would think with these numbers it would have passed but nope! It appears that the minority rules which really p!sses me off!

Gays have served in the military since the beginning of time. To block this bill just shows they are homophobic-plain and simple. I have served in the military with a supervisor who was gay. We all knew it but none of us cared. This was BEFORE DADT and we could have told the powers that be and she would have been out! She was REALLY good at her job. I really hope this bites them in the butt in November!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100921/ap_on_go_co/us_gays_military

Cat

Subject: Re: Party of No Strikes Again-This Time: DADT

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/21/10 at 3:35 pm

The Party of No is really starting to annoy me.

::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/21/10 at 3:39 pm

The Party of No is really starting to annoy me.

Just starting? Where have you been?

They remind of me of a quote by Frank Burns in M*A*S*H

Never has so many suffered so much so so few could be so happy

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/21/10 at 5:03 pm

Just starting? Where have you been?

They remind of me of a quote by Frank Burns in M*A*S*H

Never has so many suffered so much so so few could be so happy

Cat

Trying to tune the Party of No out, as much as possible.

Written By: tv on 09/21/10 at 7:10 pm

Reid should have played the GOP's game and let them have their amendments that the Republicans wanted to bring up. Instead he didn;t thats why Reid got played by the Repubs. I thought Harry Reid was alot slicker than that. Harry is just either losing his touch or just playing politics with "Don;t Ask Don't Tell". I mean Harry was such a "hustler" during the "Healthcare Debates" which I disliked but you progressives probably are like where did that Harry Reid go?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/10 at 9:58 pm

In the old days, you'd have homosexuals on your submarine.  A lot of stuff went on people don't want to talk about!

Written By: Macphisto on 09/21/10 at 10:09 pm

The DREAM act killed it.

And quite frankly, I would've voted against the bill myself.

I believe DADT is a ridiculous policy, but giving in-state tuition to illegals is even more ridiculous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/21/10 at 11:40 pm

The DREAM act killed it.

And quite frankly, I would've voted against the bill myself.

I believe DADT is a ridiculous policy, but giving in-state tuition to illegals is even more ridiculous.

Only if the migrant demonstrates academic aptitude and is able to study in the U.S. for four academic years!

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/22/10 at 9:26 am

Reid should have played the GOP's game and let them have their amendments that the Republicans wanted to bring up. Instead he didn;t thats why Reid got played by the Repubs. I thought Harry Reid was alot slicker than that. Harry is just either losing his touch or just playing politics with "Don;t Ask Don't Tell". I mean Harry was such a "hustler" during the "Healthcare Debates" which I disliked but you progressives probably are like where did that Harry Reid go?

sorry, but they gave them plenty of riders with the Health Care bill and they still voted against it.  So what's the point of giving them anything at all?

if this had been the Dems in 2006, we'd have heard the gnashing of teeth as the news media screamed that the Dems were voting against the military.  now they're totally silent about it.  "liberal media" indeed.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/22/10 at 7:25 pm

Only if the migrant demonstrates academic aptitude and is able to study in the U.S. for four academic years!

Well, gee, why don't we just get rid of out of state tuition?  Seriously, I don't know how you can defend the idea of giving someone illegally in a country in-state tuition but still charging a legal citizen from another state more....

That's just appalling to me.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/10 at 7:49 pm

Well, gee, why don't we just get rid of out of state tuition?  Seriously, I don't know how you can defend the idea of giving someone illegally in a country in-state tuition but still charging a legal citizen from another state more....

You are taking a very narrow view.  First, many "illegals", in order to stay below the radar, pay more taxes than they really need to (Google James Cockroft's book on undocumented workers - if I remember correctly it was Monthly Review Press, and about 1986), and get less for those taxes than anyone else.  But more to the point, if we educate them, and give the citizenship we might just begin to close the intellectual gap between the US and, can you say China, India, and Japan?

But truth to tell, I believe there should be no, zilch, zero, tuition at any state college or university in this country, and I believe that we should make every effort to pay faculty at those institutions enough to atrack world class scholars to those institutions.  Public universities should push Harvard, Yale, Princeton,  etc into the second tier of prestigious universities, and if you can get in by virtue of your academics, it should be free as long as you maintain a B average.  With an education system like that, we would counter the Chinese threat, and be in a position to rule the world

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/22/10 at 8:06 pm

You are taking a very narrow view.  First, many "illegals", in order to stay below the radar, pay more taxes than they really need to (Google James Cockroft's book on undocumented workers - if I remember correctly it was Monthly Review Press, and about 1986), and get less for those taxes than anyone else.  But more to the point, if we educate them, and give the citizenship we might just begin to close the intellectual gap between the US and, can you say China, India, and Japan?

But truth to tell, I believe there should be no, zilch, zero, tuition at any state college or university in this country, and I believe that we should make every effort to pay faculty at those institutions enough to atrack world class scholars to those institutions.  Public universities should push Harvard, Yale, Princeton,  etc into the second tier of prestigious universities, and if you can get in by virtue of your academics, it should be free as long as you maintain a B average.  With an education system like that, we would counter the Chinese threat, and be in a position to rule the world

Written By: Macphisto on 09/22/10 at 10:29 pm

Um... What?  First, if someone's here illegally, I don't care if they pay too much in taxes.  They're lucky we don't deport him/her.  Hell, they're lucky we don't deal with them the way that Mexico deals with illegal Guatemalans for that matter.

Second, we already surpass China and India in education.  Japan is only better because a) they're culturally homogeneous and b) their culture puts a ton of pressure on children to conform and excel.  It's why they have such a high suicide rate.

Chinese threat?  What are you talking about?  China might be a problem in terms of pollution and human rights abuses, but they don't pose a threat to us beyond the influence they buy by absorbing our debts.  That's better fought by controlling government spending and paying down the national debt.  I can agree with socializing college, but that's going to first require cutting military spending and reforming SS.  Our funds are rather limited at the moment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/23/10 at 3:23 am

It's simple:  We have to keep people divided and bickering as much as possible.

If DADT dies, the Right Wing will have one less arrow in their quiver.  They'll still use it in the next several cycles, but after we see that NOTHING happened since we killed DADT!

The Republicans are still in charge, even when they're in the minority.  The Dems have to stop being wimps.  They don't have to win, but they have to put up a good fight.  If you put up a good fight and lose, I'll remain loyal.  If you're a wimp...GFY.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/23/10 at 6:51 pm

Chinese threat?  What are you talking about?  China might be a problem in terms of pollution and human rights abuses, but they don't pose a threat to us beyond the influence they buy by absorbing our debts.  That's better fought by controlling government spending and paying down the national debt.  I can agree with socializing college, but that's going to first require cutting military spending and reforming SS.  Our funds are rather limited at the moment.

Where in hades have you been?  The Chinese, and the Germans, are ahead of us in several of the technologies of the future, and their ed system is making major headway.  We, on the other hand are falling behind in just about every area you can mention.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/23/10 at 7:41 pm

Where in hades have you been?  The Chinese, and the Germans, are ahead of us in several of the technologies of the future, and their ed system is making major headway.  We, on the other hand are falling behind in just about every area you can mention.

The Chinese are making headway relative to where they used to be.  They still are nowhere near as advanced as us.

The Germans certainly have their advantages, but right now, they're being handicapped by the less fiscally responsible members of the EU.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/23/10 at 7:56 pm

In the old days, you'd have homosexuals on your submarine.  A lot of stuff went on people don't want to talk about!

An acquaintance of mine, who I play trivia against in a bar league, was on a submarine and is totally out (now at least - don't know about then - I didn't ask and he ain't tellin')

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/24/10 at 6:49 pm

The Chinese are making headway relative to where they used to be.  They still are nowhere near as advanced as us.

The Germans certainly have their advantages, but right now, they're being handicapped by the less fiscally responsible members of the EU.

Both they and the Japanese, and Indians too are graduating more college educated per capita than we are, and more Ph.D's.  We are clearly falling behind in the brain gap, which forebodes evil for the future, and moving to Canada, as you have often suggested, will only put you out of the direct target, but not in any better position strategically.  Learn Mandarin, but kiss your portfolio goodby

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/10 at 2:49 pm

Did I just read that the O'bama Administration is filing papers to OPPOSE the decision of a Federal Judge to essentially overturn DADT ? ???

DADT... DEFENDED by the O'bama Justice Department and SIGNED INTO LAW by Bill Clinton.  ;D

Damn, even the Log Cabin Republicans are less conservative on this issue.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/25/10 at 7:25 pm

Did I just read that the O'bama Administration is filing papers to OPPOSE the decision of a Federal Judge to essentially overturn DADT ? ???

DADT... DEFENDED by the O'bama Justice Department and SIGNED INTO LAW by Bill Clinton.  ;D

Damn, even the Log Cabin Republicans are less conservative on this issue.

It is my understanding that the justice department has the responsibility to defend the laws as they are written.  I'm sure that if they didn't conservatives would be howling about Obama supporting "judicial activism".  Your comment seems to me right out of the repug's "damned if they do, damned if they don't" playbook.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 7:44 pm

Or so one homophobe asked me:

"They shouldn't let gays in the military!  How would you like it if you had to shower with a bunch of naked women?"

I don't know...but I'm willing to find out!
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/25/10 at 7:53 pm

It is my understanding that the justice department has the responsibility to defend the laws as they are written.  I'm sure that if they didn't conservatives would be howling about Obama supporting "judicial activism".  Your comment seems to me right out of the repug's "damned if they do, damned if they don't" playbook.

The Justice Department defends the laws it feels like defending.

Last time I read up on things, I have not seen them pursuing the States who are legalizing marijuana in contravention of Federal drug laws.  Where is the outrage?

(Mind you, as long as reefer does not cross state lines, I do not believe that it is the Federal government's business but that is a discussion for another day).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 8:04 pm

Last time I read up on things, I have not seen them pursuing the States who are legalizing marijuana in contravention of Federal drug laws.  Where is the outrage?

Marijuana laws are a political third rail.

What about the children?

That's all you have to say and you can duck out of rationality on any controversy. 

Porgy: We're the leaders of tomorrow!
Mudhead: But it's today!

-FST
:D

When I was sixteen it was easier to get a dime bag than a six-pack.  The McDonald's parking lot pot dealer didn't ask for ID!
It's probably still the same today.

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/26/10 at 7:12 pm

The Justice Department defends the laws it feels like defending.

(Mind you, as long as reefer does not cross state lines, I do not believe that it is the Federal government's business but that is a discussion for another day).

I haven't heard of any state, county, locality, or individual challenging federal pot laws in court, so its a matter of selective enforcement, not a defense of the law itself

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/26/10 at 7:34 pm

I haven't heard of any state, county, locality, or individual challenging federal pot laws in court, so its a matter of selective enforcement, not a defense of the law itself

Arizona did not file a challenge to Federal immigration laws yet Justice filed a case against the Arizona immigration-related legislation.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/26/10 at 10:33 pm

Both they and the Japanese, and Indians too are graduating more college educated per capita than we are, and more Ph.D's.  We are clearly falling behind in the brain gap, which forebodes evil for the future, and moving to Canada, as you have often suggested, will only put you out of the direct target, but not in any better position strategically.  Learn Mandarin, but kiss your portfolio goodby

Well, for starters...  there's this...  http://www.chinaeconomicreview.com/partnercontent/info/Chinas_college_graduate_glut.html

Then, there's this: http://measuringup2008.highereducation.org/print/NCPPHEMUNationalRpt.pdf  (see page 8 )

While it is true that younger generations in the U.S. have a lower graduate rate than previous ones, we're still doing better than China.  China apparently graduates about 5 million students from college per year, but that's a pretty small number compared to their entire population.  China's graduate rate is about twice that of India's, so I have no idea where you're gathering that India even factors into this beyond the fact that we attract a lot of their highly educated workers because of how much better life is here and how much more they get paid here.

The Japanese are better than us educationally, but that's really no surprise given their culture.  I really doubt a country as diverse as ours and with as much wealth disparity could compete with them on that, because it's so much easier to organize and motivate people when you're all part of the same culture.   America has to use a different approach in order to play to the strengths of diversity.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 12:09 am

Asian countries invest in their futures; America divests. 

Say you had all this really great mountain-climbing gear.  You decide you want to climb Mt. Denali.  The night before the climb, you sell your mountain-climbing gear for money to go to town and get loaded. 

That's essentially what America has done over the past thirty years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/10 at 8:06 am

...the strengths of diversity.

I have not drank from that pitcher of Kool Aid.

Somewhere along the line, professed American values went from "equal opportunity for all" (mind you often this has not been achieved) to some sort of politically-correct "we must have diversity!!!" mantra.  We are teaching our future generations to intentionally discriminate because they have to meet some sort of magic formula in the makeup on their businesses and daily affairs on something other than meritorious equal opportunity.

I grew up in a town with all sorts of ethnicities: Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Black, Ukrainian, Serbian, Italian, Greek, Croatian, Slovak.  Pretty much everything except people of Asian, Pacific, and Hispanic descent.  As a kid I learned that all of these groups had their fair share of A-holes and, pretty much, all of them appeared to me to be equally prejudiced and also equally prone to have some nice, hard working people too.

As a result of this I have always been one to give anybody a fair shot regardless of their ethnicity, but I have had absolutely no desire whatsoever to create some sort of intentional "diversity stew".  Give me your best and brightest, and I do not care if the group is "diverse" or not.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 6:57 pm

"Diversity" has been the buzzword on university campuses for the past 20 years.  It's a child of "identity politics."  Keep people fighting over who's more oppressed than whom without addressing economic issues. 

In other words, when I arrived at the bursar's office there were posters with pink triangles and pan-African flags.  Welcome one and all.  Now pay these outrageous fees on the spot or get your sorry ass off campus!

Written By: Don Carlos on 09/27/10 at 7:12 pm

Arizona did not file a challenge to Federal immigration laws yet Justice filed a case against the Arizona immigration-related legislation.

Their "immigration related legislation" is, prima fascia, a challenge to Fed immigration law

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/27/10 at 7:26 pm

Their "immigration related legislation" is, prima fascia, a challenge to Fed immigration law

Not at all.  The law was crafted to be completely consistent with Federal law and does not try to change the Federal statutes that define illegal resident status.  The only difference is that Arizona expects the Federal laws to be enforced, (if not by the Fed then by themselves) something the Justice Department is completely unwilling to do, because it is pandering to either (a) businesses who want cheap labor (republican administrations) or (b) hispanic voters (democratic administrations).  In neither case have either party gotten serious about enforcing the laws, and only offered symbolic fig leaves.

However, California's legalization of marijuana is an absolutely DIRECT challenge to Federal law, attempting to make legal an act which Federal law clearly states is illegal.  Again, adminsitrations of both parties have chosen to not enforce the laws.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 9:24 pm

District Attorney Delirium Tremens

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/10 at 9:34 pm

I have not drank from that pitcher of Kool Aid.

Somewhere along the line, professed American values went from "equal opportunity for all" (mind you often this has not been achieved) to some sort of politically-correct "we must have diversity!!!" mantra.  We are teaching our future generations to intentionally discriminate because they have to meet some sort of magic formula in the makeup on their businesses and daily affairs on something other than meritorious equal opportunity.

I grew up in a town with all sorts of ethnicities: Irish, Scottish, German, Polish, Black, Ukrainian, Serbian, Italian, Greek, Croatian, Slovak.  Pretty much everything except people of Asian, Pacific, and Hispanic descent.  As a kid I learned that all of these groups had their fair share of A-holes and, pretty much, all of them appeared to me to be equally prejudiced and also equally prone to have some nice, hard working people too.

As a result of this I have always been one to give anybody a fair shot regardless of their ethnicity, but I have had absolutely no desire whatsoever to create some sort of intentional "diversity stew".  Give me your best and brightest, and I do not care if the group is "diverse" or not.

Well, I was referring more to how you have to try a different strategy of organization and motivation to account for variances in culture.  It's not that I'm advocating a specific blend of cultures -- I'm just saying that you can't expect what works in Japan to work as well here.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/27/10 at 9:35 pm

A challenge to federal laws that aren't being enforced....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 10:06 pm

Dalliance After Dominican Transsexual.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/10 at 7:59 am

I'm just saying that you can't expect what works in Japan to work as well here.

Yeah, I can see your point.

Although interestingly, even in Japan where they have a single ethnic monolith... the system is well-designed to "keep down" the lower classes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 1:46 pm

Although interestingly, even in Japan where they have a single ethnic monolith... the system is well-designed to "keep down" the lower classes.

My friend was alarmed to see how many homeless people there were in Tokyo when she went to Japan last year!

Written By: Macphisto on 09/28/10 at 10:36 pm

Well, they essentially have castes like India.

This is part of why I don't want us to emulate Japan.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/10 at 11:58 am

Well, they essentially have castes like India.

This is part of why I don't want us to emulate Japan.

You don't think we have castes here?

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 12:14 pm

Cat

"America is a classless society!"

-- Bob Dole

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/10 at 12:50 pm

"America is a classless society!"

-- Bob Dole

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

Yup-No class here.

Cat

Written By: Macphisto on 09/29/10 at 6:42 pm

Cat

Not nearly as blatant or socially ingrained as those in Japan or India.

Every society has social stratification, but America is actually much more open and tolerant than a lot of the world.

For example, most of Europe is considerably more racist than America.  Look at France and how they deal with North African immigrants.

India has a ton of ethnic tension between Hindus, Muslims, and Christians -- it makes the Ground Zero Islamic Center controversy look like a "minor misunderstanding."

So yeah, we've got some castes, so to speak, but they pale in comparison to most of the world.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/10 at 12:55 am

Yup-No class here.

http://i.imgur.com/4DFlD.jpg

I resemble that remark.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/30/10 at 9:58 am

http://i.imgur.com/4DFlD.jpg

I resemble that remark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZmvkOR0oTQ

;D  :D

Written By: tv on 09/30/10 at 1:00 pm

It's simple:  We have to keep people divided and bickering as much as possible.

If DADT dies, the Right Wing will have one less arrow in their quiver.  They'll still use it in the next several cycles, but after we see that NOTHING happened since we killed DADT!

The Republicans are still in charge, even when they're in the minority.  The Dems have to stop being wimps.  They don't have to win, but they have to put up a good fight.  If you put up a good fight and lose, I'll remain loyal.  If you're a wimp...GFY.[
Yeah but when the Repubs were in charge of the US Senate(in the majority) from mid 2003-2006 didn't they cave into the Dems like the Dems are doing now with the Repubs being in the minority? I mean didn't Tom Daschale fillibuster one of Bush's supreme court nominees?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/10 at 9:53 pm

;D  :D

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

http://22.media.tumblr.com/3F7gN4uIxoiuxi7j18bA9slNo1_500.jpg

First thing I watched off the Futurama DVD movies wasn't actually the movie, it was the episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/10 at 10:33 pm

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

http://22.media.tumblr.com/3F7gN4uIxoiuxi7j18bA9slNo1_500.jpg

First thing I watched off the Futurama DVD movies wasn't actually the movie, it was the episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad!

Whoa, dude, far out graphic...for 1989!
:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/01/10 at 11:32 am

Whoa, dude, far out graphic...for 1989!
:)

My sister once had a poster that looked very similar to that-without the toad of course back in the 70s. Looked really groovy under a black light and especially after some herbal enhancement.   ;)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 9:00 pm

My sister once had a poster that looked very similar to that-without the toad of course back in the 70s. Looked really groovy under a black light and especially after some herbal enhancement.   ;)

Cat

Then all you need is Pink Floyd "Ummagumma" on the stereo! (Record 2, of course)

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy2.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy7.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/happy6.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...