» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: David Cameron's newborn baby 'sleeps in cardboard box'

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/10 at 2:01 pm

David Cameron's new baby sleeps not in a cot, but in a cardboard box, the prime minister has said.

Mr Cameron said when Florence was born last month, she did not have a cot so his six-year-old daughter Nancy decorated the box for her to sleep in.

The prime minister's wife Samantha had given birth to the baby girl while the family were on holiday in Cornwall.

Mr Cameron told the Daily Telegraph the baby stayed sleeping in the box, even after they returned to Downing Street.

The Prime Minister said baby Florence is "wonderful and quite well behaved. She eats and sleeps mostly at the relevant time and she's been a delight.

"The other children adore her and pander to her like mad."

He told the newspaper: "Nancy made her a cardboard box when we were in Cornwall as we didn't have a cot and decorated it and she's still in the cardboard box.

"She'll be able to say I was brought up in Downing Street in a cardboard box."

The birth of Florence coincided with the death of Mr Cameron's father Ian, who suffered a stroke while on holiday in France last month.

The prime minister said he was able to show the 77-year-old around Chequers shortly before he died.

Mr Cameron told the newspaper how he pushed his father around the grounds in a wheelchair and said: "I was determined to get him up the stairs... there's a beautiful room where there's Cromwell's sword and all that.

"He wanted to as well, there's a rope that goes up the stairs, it was bit like going up the North face of the Eiger, he pulled and we pushed and finally we got there, so my last memories of him are very happy."

Subject: Re: David Cameron's newborn baby 'sleeps in cardboard box'

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/10 at 2:01 pm

Cheapskate!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 2:11 pm

I agree.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/25/10 at 4:35 pm

Hey... my cats like to sleep in boxes too.  I never knew I had so much in common with the PM!

Perhaps the office doesn't pay as much as everyone thinks.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/10 at 4:38 pm

Trying not to sound cynical but I wonder what message David Cameron is trying to give with that declaration? Especially in a time where the UK is up to it's armpits in recession and debt, lol.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/10 at 6:25 pm

Actually, considering the crib recalls that go round, she might be safer in the cardboard box.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/26/10 at 2:41 am

From Monty Python's "Four Yorkshire Men"

"SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/10 at 1:46 pm

From Monty Python's "Four Yorkshire Men"

"SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
    We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
    Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt."

And you try and tell the yoong people that today and they woont believe ya.
They woont, noo!
8)

Written By: philbo on 09/29/10 at 12:03 pm

Perhaps the office doesn't pay as much as everyone thinks.  ;D

Cameron was independently wealthy before going into politics.. there's probably a cot heirloom hanging around from the 19th century

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 12:07 pm

Cameron was independently wealthy before going into politics.. there's probably a cot heirloom hanging around from the 19th century

Maybe he wants his kid to grow up knowing what the real Britain is like!
:-\\

Written By: philbo on 09/29/10 at 2:36 pm

..or possibly just wanting to think outside the.. er..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 9:37 pm

..or possibly just wanting to think outside the.. er..

From Mrs. Cameron's box to the cardboard box!
:-X

Check for new replies or respond here...