» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Biden to Democratic Base - "Quit Whining"

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/10 at 7:57 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39395081/ns/politics-white_house

See link from mfnbc.com.

At a fundraiser in New Hampshire, the Vice president said that the party operatives need to tell their base to "stop whining". On a later mfnbc interview he said that his ase neds to "buck up".

Be happy Democratic voters, and grateful, for whatever crumbs that your party has been throwing you for the past two years.  The concerns that you have?  Screw you.  ::)

Got to give him credit, he did not launch on an attack of those rat bastards in the Tea Party.  This time he went after his own voter base.  Shrewd....

Subject: Re: Biden to Democratic Base - "Quit Whining"

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/28/10 at 8:37 am

O'bama has also come out in Rolling Stone magazine, putting the smack down on his voter base as well.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_INTERVIEW?SITE=INSBT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"The idea that we've got a lack of enthusiasm in the Democratic base, that people are sitting on their hands complaining, is just irresponsible" and "if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place," says the Prez.

It is clear that the Administration feels that they know what is best for their constituency than the constituency does.

Point of obviousness:  The Democratic Party is going to lose plenty of ground this year because they dismissed the power and judgement of the voters.  First the Tea Party movement was vilified, but it only got stronger.  Now the target is democratic voters who also are clearly dissatisfied.

We already see plenty of Democratic candidates openly running and distancing themselves from the democratic heirarchy, calling out their own opposition to the likes of Pelosi and O'bama.  Perhaps these are cynical, mercenary, calculated moves to ingratiate voters.  But at least they are based on a fundamental recognition that voters (of both parties)  want a real change from what's been going on the past couple of years in Washington.

The Dem elite, however, are clinging to their rejected agenda and instead now are attacking their own voter base.

2008-2010 will go down as the most flagrant and rapid squandering of a massive legislative and executive control situation in American history.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 1:38 pm

Tell Joe and O I'm not "whining" and I'm no longer a member of their "base." 

They passed a loser of a health care bill and the continue to fellate the class of international corporate elites -- the greatest threat to our long-term national security.  We're still in Iraq (only about 50,000 troops now, but we're still there).  We're still in Afghanistan and we can stand around in the rubble getting picked off while we drain our coffers for the next 100 years.

You know, if they stood on principle and failed, I would be happy to belong to the Democratic base -- but they didn't even try.  They collapsed like a house of cards in an earthquake. 

If I believed in the Republican agenda, I'd vote Republican.  I voted Democratic and they're turning around and selling me a watered down Republican agenda. 

The Dems had a 49-seat majority in the Senate and still acted like it was the winter of 1995 and Newt was running the place.  Nobody likes a wimp.

They can call me when they grow a pair!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry5.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/10 at 4:07 pm

I agree with Joe

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 7:38 pm

I always like to see Stonyfield Farm in the news.  I remember Samuel Kaymen from my childhood.  He was a local organic farming demagogue back in the seventies.  Now he must be LOADED!
8)

Written By: Macphisto on 09/28/10 at 10:27 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39395081/ns/politics-white_house

See link from mfnbc.com.

MFNBC...  The mother@#$*ing news b*tches channel.

Ok sorry...  I just liked your alternate spelling...  ;)

At a fundraiser in New Hampshire, the Vice president said that the party operatives need to tell their base to "stop whining". On a later mfnbc interview he said that his ase neds to "buck up".
Be happy Democratic voters, and grateful, for whatever crumbs that your party has been throwing you for the past two years.  The concerns that you have?  Screw you.   ::)
Got to give him credit, he did not launch on an attack of those rat bastards in the Tea Party.  This time he went after his own voter base.  Shrewd....

There is some truth to what he's saying, but sadly, progress isn't what people focus on.  Marketing matters more than solutions when it comes to winning elections.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/28/10 at 10:34 pm

O'bama has also come out in Rolling Stone magazine, putting the smack down on his voter base as well.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBAMA_INTERVIEW?SITE=INSBT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

"The idea that we've got a lack of enthusiasm in the Democratic base, that people are sitting on their hands complaining, is just irresponsible" and "if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place," says the Prez.
It is clear that the Administration feels that they know what is best for their constituency than the constituency does.
Point of obviousness:  The Democratic Party is going to lose plenty of ground this year because they dismissed the power and judgement of the voters.  First the Tea Party movement was vilified, but it only got stronger.  Now the target is democratic voters who also are clearly dissatisfied.
We already see plenty of Democratic candidates openly running and distancing themselves from the democratic heirarchy, calling out their own opposition to the likes of Pelosi and O'bama.  Perhaps these are cynical, mercenary, calculated moves to ingratiate voters.  But at least they are based on a fundamental recognition that voters (of both parties)  want a real change from what's been going on the past couple of years in Washington.
The Dem elite, however, are clinging to their rejected agenda and instead now are attacking their own voter base.
2008-2010 will go down as the most flagrant and rapid squandering of a massive legislative and executive control situation in American history.

I think you're reading far too much into this.  The people really never had a clue to begin with.  First of all, only around half of the electorate actually votes.  Second, most people don't follow politics closely enough to keep track of actual progress made or of any major corruption involved -- unless it gets plastered all over the news.  Basically, the majority of what people vote according to is spin, not facts.  They vote with their emotions, and they're far more inclined to complain about the status quo than to defend it.

It's not really the power of voters that politicians have to worry about -- it's the power of advertising, media, and corporations in general.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 12:07 am

Don't tell me to "buck up."  You're not the headmaster. 
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/10 at 12:00 pm

We're Doug & Debbie Whiner.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 12:12 pm

We're Doug & Debbie Whiner.

Cat

We have a reservationnnnnnn....

;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/29/10 at 4:15 pm

This is not going help them come November, it will just give the Republicans more ammo to sweep the elections.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/10 at 4:58 pm

This is not going help them come November, it will just give the Republicans more ammo to sweep the elections.

Yep.  In my opinion this was a supremely stupid thing for Biden and O'bama to do.  Maybe if the rhetoric was part of a memorable, awe-inspiring oratory, I would think differently.

But this was definitely not a Kennedy "Think not what your country can do for you" speech.  It was... dare I say... whining.  The POTUS and VPOTUS should "buck up" and address the real problem that is causing their base to dissipate.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/29/10 at 5:37 pm

Yep.  In my opinion this was a supremely stupid thing for Biden and O'bama to do.  Maybe if the rhetoric was part of a memorable, awe-inspiring oratory, I would think differently.

But this was definitely not a Kennedy "Think not what your country can do for you" speech.  It was... dare I say... whining.  The POTUS and VPOTUS should "buck up" and address the real problem that is causing their base to dissipate.

Personally, I think it might be too late. Palin (or McCain), might as well just move in, and Obama be forced to leave office early.

Written By: Macphisto on 09/29/10 at 6:33 pm

Well, it's not really a problem.  It's a cycle.

America is a center-right country.  This is part of why conservative swings often last longer than liberal ones.  It's not that Obama & co. did anything worse than what Bush did -- it's just that we're experiencing tough economic times.  If the economy is ailing, your chances of holding power are lower -- especially if you have a lot of power in government and it's hard to blame the opposition as a result.

It's rare for Americans to vote for someone -- more often than not, they're just voting against someone.  Chosen candidates are most often viewed as the lesser of two evils.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 9:36 pm

"Buck up" wasn't quite what I was thinking.  Rhymes with "buck up" though!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/walk.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/30/10 at 12:47 am

That's how the game is played.

The Republican Party kicked out the Goldwater/(small-L)ibertarians during the Terri Schiavo debacle.  Now it's the Kucinich-sympathizing Democrats' turn to be purged from the Party in the interest of winning the 2010 midterms.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/30/10 at 9:56 am

Maybe if things were not so screw up, people wouldn't be whining.

Written By: tv on 09/30/10 at 1:14 pm

Tell Joe and O I'm not "whining" and I'm no longer a member of their "base."  

They passed a loser of a health care bill and the continue to fellate the class of international corporate elites -- the greatest threat to our long-term national security.  We're still in Iraq (only about 50,000 troops now, but we're still there).  We're still in Afghanistan and we can stand around in the rubble getting picked off while we drain our coffers for the next 100 years.

You know, if they stood on principle and failed, I would be happy to belong to the Democratic base -- but they didn't even try.  They collapsed like a house of cards in an earthquake.  

If I believed in the Republican agenda, I'd vote Republican.  I voted Democratic and they're turning around and selling me a watered down Republican agenda.  

The Dems had a 49-seat majority in the Senate and still acted like it was the winter of 1995 and Newt was running the place.  Nobody likes a wimp.

They can call me when they grow a pair!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry5.gif
Its not a watered down Republlican agenda(the Health Care Bill) its just an ineffective piece of legislation that doesn't adddress health care costs properly. I mean premiums are gonna rise by 20 percent or something this year on some healthcare company's policy's I mean thats around 7 times over what the rate of inflation of the dollar is gonna rise on a yearly basis. I mean some of the rising costs is attributed to the Healthcare Bill I see but most of it is not. This piece of legislation still allows Health Insurers to game the system. There should be something put into the Health Care Bill that says Health Insurers are only allowed to raise rates based on yearly inflation of the dollar!

As for the Dem Senate Majority they owned a 60-40 majority from spring of 2009-January of 2010 I believe.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/10 at 4:42 pm

^ What I resent is:

"You have to vote for us.  If you think we suck, wait'll the Republicans get in!"

That's not good enough for me. 

Written By: tv on 09/30/10 at 5:31 pm

^ What I resent is:

"You have to vote for us.  If you think we suck, wait'll the Republicans get in!"

That's not good enough for me. 
Thats like the Republicans saying well were better than the Democrats: that doesn't cut it either!

Check for new replies or respond here...