» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Ex-US President Jimmy Carter resting after falling ill

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/10 at 1:25 pm

Former US President Jimmy Carter is resting after being taken to hospital for an upset stomach after a flight to Cleveland.

"He is resting comfortably and is expected to resume his book tour this week," the Carter Center said.

The 86-year-old was travelling to promote his new book White House Diary, which was released last week.

Mr Carter was elected as the 39th US president in 1976 and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002.

According to the website for Joseph-Beth Booksellers, Mr Carter was planning to attend a book signing in Cleveland in the US state of Ohio.

The former president was taken to Metro Health Hospital around 1130 local time (1530 GMT).

Mr Carter has recently called for the US to develop stronger ties with Iran and North Korea.

Last month, Mr Carter secured the release of Aijalon Mahli Gomes, a 31-year-old American citizen detained in North Korea.

He founded the Carter Center a year after leaving the White House to promote elections and mediate conflicts around the globe.

Subject: Re: Ex-US President Jimmy Carter resting after falling ill

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 1:44 pm

:(

I just saw him on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last week.

I hope the old man gets well soon.  As long as Carter is able, he will continue to do good work.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/28/10 at 4:04 pm

The Gentleman President, that's who he is.  I don't care what anyone says about him, he is tops in my book

Written By: Frank on 09/29/10 at 9:20 am

Keep well. Mr Carter.  Wish you a quick recovery.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/29/10 at 12:02 pm

Going to Cleveland is enough to make anyone sick.

I truly admire the guy and have A LOT of respect for him. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/30/10 at 4:05 pm

Going to Cleveland is enough to make anyone sick.

I truly admire the guy and have A LOT of respect for him. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Cat

Tell me about it...

I live there! The 2nd poorest city in the nation! :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/10 at 4:34 pm

Tell me about it...

I live there! The 2nd poorest city in the nation! :P

By median income, apparently you are second only to Detroit.
http://dcjobsource.com/richest.html

Written By: tv on 09/30/10 at 5:29 pm

Nice guy but a horrible president!  I wish him well though!

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/01/10 at 11:20 am

Nice guy but a horrible president!  I wish him well though!

If he was a horrible pres. it was because he was a nice guy and tried to be moral

Written By: nally on 10/01/10 at 11:23 am

I heard about this the other day, and certainly wish all the best for him. Also, today is his 86th birthday. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/birthday.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/10 at 11:24 am

If he was a horrible pres. it was because he was a nice guy and tried to be moral

As an old boss used to tell me "LyricBoy, you don't get points for trying, only for getting the job done"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 8:55 pm

I heard about this the other day, and certainly wish all the best for him. Also, today is his 86th birthday. http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/birthday.gif

Happy Birthday, Mr. President...

http://www.marilynmonroecollection.com/Pictures/Christies1999Auction/Lot55/Lot55r.jpg

I like that can even better than this can:

http://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/Billy.GIF

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 8:57 pm

As an old boss used to tell me "LyricBoy, you don't get points for trying, only for getting the job done"

Who'd you work for, Henry Kissinger?
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 9:32 am

Who'd you work for, Henry Kissinger?
8)

Nope.  A boss whose behind-his-back nickname was "Satan".

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/02/10 at 10:25 am

Nope.  A boss whose behind-his-back nickname was "Satan".

Like Max said, Henry the K

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 12:49 pm

Like Max said, Henry the K

Yet both both Satan and Jimmy are both recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/02/10 at 8:06 pm

I like that can even better than this can:

http://www.rustycans.com/Graphics/Billy.GIF

I like that can.  There's a story behind it.

I typically show up not to praise Carter, but to bury him, but even I have to respect the man for his deregulation of brewing and the opening up of the now-burgeoning US craft brewing industry.  American beer used to be a joke.  You bought whichever fizzy pale imitation of a light lager paid for the best commercials, and that was that, because it was illegal to even homebrew.  Thanks to the 1979 deregulation, there are thousands of craft breweries around the country, and I'd try damn near anything by any one of them.

When Carter finally kicks the bucket, I'll have plenty of foul things to say about him, but they'll be tempered by the fact that the craft brew in my hand wouldn't be there without deregulation.  Long live Billy Beer!  (The full history is here, but the fact remains that craft brewers almost invariably start out as homebrewers, and the first brewpubs in the early '80s wouldn't have existed had it remained illegal to brew one's own beer in the very early '80s)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 1:37 am

Yes, I remember Billy Beer.  We finally got Coors in the East -- the kind of beer they were smuggling in "Smokey & The Bandit" in 1984, I think it was.  The yuppies went for Sam Adams like it was the mead of the gods.  Before the "microbrews" there was the foreign beer fad, exemplified by Heineken, which was pee-water only slightly better than Schlitz. 

Frank Booth says it best

Caution: strong language

This is...it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbxGgCY9PKw

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/03/10 at 11:01 am

Yet both both Satan and Jimmy are both recipients of the Nobel Peace Prize.   ;D

Yeah, Kissinger got it for making  peace in VietNam, after sabotaging peace in VietNam several years earlier

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 12:58 pm

Yeah, Kissinger got it for making  peace in VietNam, after sabotaging peace in VietNam several years earlier

And dropping more bombs on Cambodia than both sides dropped in WWII!  It's like giving the school bully a commendation not for beating the nerd up, but for stopping!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...