» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: France - Gypsy/Roma Issue

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/29/10 at 4:54 pm

I have not been following this issue very closely.  From what I can tell, the French are throwing thr Roma/Gypsies out fo the country by dismantling camps and sending them to (I think) Romania.

But I hjave not done much homework on this issue.  Was wondering if anybody could weigh in on this issue.  Here are some questions:

Are the Gypsies considered "illegal immigrants" by French Law?
Does the "European Union" law allow free and unrestricted immigration amongst the member states?
Are the French kicking out "all" of the Gypsies, or just the ones who hang out at these camps?

I am thinking that ultimately this will be the first serious test of the European Union, as from what I can tell, the EU is screaming mad about this, but Sarkozy so far is telling the EU to go pack sand.

Anybody know any of the facts in this issue?  Please fill me in...

Subject: Re: France - Gypsy/Roma Issue

Written By: Macphisto on 09/29/10 at 6:36 pm

Gypsies have always been historically hated in Europe.  This is because their culture is often associated with stealing and just living in a generally trashy, transient way.

There's no doubt that France (and a lot of the rest of Europe) is racist toward them, but then again, they kind of earn their enmity by being troublesome outsiders.

It's hard to say exactly how the EU will deal with this growing issue, but to be honest, I don't really see much of the EU leadership being willing to support them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 9:34 pm

Gypsies have always been historically hated in Europe.  

Yes.

I can't answer LB's questions without doing some research, but "Blame it on the Gypsies" is always a good way to keep the hoi poloi distracted.
::)

Written By: gibbo on 09/30/10 at 7:30 pm

Gypsies, tramps and thieves...I hear it from the people of the town!  Personally, I always found Gypsy Rose Lee quite entertaining... ;)

Okay...I can't answer your questions either!  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/01/10 at 1:44 pm

Gypsies, tramps and thieves...I hear it from the people of the town!   Personally, I always found Gypsy Rose Lee quite entertaining... ;)

Okay...I can't answer your questions either!  :-\\

Well I have done some research. Seems that every night the men will come around... and lay their money down.

Check for new replies or respond here...