» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: US apologizes for infecting Guatemalans with STDs in the 1940s

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 9:29 am

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/01/us.guatemala.apology/?hpt=T2

"Sorry man... our bad..."

Subject: Re: US apologizes for infecting Guatemalans with STDs in the 1940s

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 10:55 am

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/01/us.guatemala.apology/?hpt=T2

"Sorry man... our bad..."

What happened? Did Derek Jeter, David Hasselhoff and Billy Idol borrow the DeLorean and take a road trip south of the border?  :o :o :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 12:40 pm

What happened? Did Derek Jeter, David Hasselhoff and Billy Idol borrow the DeLorean and take a road trip south of the border?  :o :o :o

I think Paris Hilton was riding in the back too.  ;D

Written By: Frank on 10/02/10 at 5:43 pm

I think Paris Hilton was riding in the back too.  ;D

Paris was riding in the back...OK.. :D 
I better stop here.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/10 at 5:51 pm

Guatemalans, southern blacks, yeah, big joke, no big deal...right

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/10 at 6:56 pm

Guatemalans, southern blacks, yeah, big joke, no big deal...right

They were feeding white guys LSD around that time too...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/02/10 at 7:58 pm

I'm just curious what our government will apologize for 60 years from now, in 2070.

Of course I'll be 100 years old then and the odds are I won't be around to find out, so what the hell do I care?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 1:50 am

That was a little later in the 1950s.  MK Ultra.  In the 1940s, only a few people in the European intelligentsia, including Dr. Hoffmann himself, experienced LSD.  The CIA it got its goony paws on it in the 1950s thinking it could be  a truth serum.  Massive doses got people to gibber like monkeys, chew an floorboards, and jump out windows but not tell them what they wanted to know.  Just give him whiskey.  If that doesn't work, give him more whiskey.  If that doesn't work, leave him in a shallow grave upstate.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 2:02 am

I might be wrong, but I think the Tuskegee Syphilis Study victims were already infected with syphilis.  The experiment was to see what happened as the disease progressed.  The patients believed they were being treated for "bad blood."  The doctors didn't tell them they had been diagnosed with syphilis, which doctors were supposed to do even in 1932 Alabama.  After the atrocity was exposed in the early seventies, one of the clinicians Nurse Eunice Rivers was kind enough to explain the difference between "patients" and "subjects."  Yes, but you're not supposed to lie to subjects and tell them they're patients so they will remain subjects.  That's what you "scientists" failed to understand.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/10 at 5:27 am

That was in the 50s, but point made.  The U.S. government, well all power structures really, have never been shy about using their Machiavellian wiles to take advantage where they could. Sometimes more egregious than others.  I had an older cousin who went into the military in the 50s.  Went he entered he was a star football player in high school, he left the military 3 years later with multiple sclerosis that eventually killed him.  He swore until the day he died that he was made, by the military to take shots, didn't know what they were, and he ended up with sclerosis.

It is something that continues, with the consent of many in the electorate. You can call it what you want it is torture, and people argue for it everyday.

Written By: Bobby on 10/03/10 at 4:14 pm

Why Guatemalans? It just seems a bit random...  ???

Apparently, it wasn't just the Nazi's in the 40s who were going experiment crazy.

I'm just curious what our government will apologize for 60 years from now, in 2070.

Of course I'll be 100 years old then and the odds are I won't be around to find out, so what the hell do I care?

Sadly, you raise a good point, AL-B. A 60 year old apology, however sincere, seems a little empty.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/10 at 4:26 pm

Why Guatemalans? It just seems a bit random...  ???

Because they are poor & dark skinned.

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 10/03/10 at 4:27 pm

Because they are poor & dark skinned.

As simple as that? How sad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/10 at 4:28 pm

As simple as that? How sad.

Sad is the understatement.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 11:49 pm

Besides, rich white preppies have the clap already!
:P

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/10 at 5:26 am

Why does it all boil down to race and white guilt?
I feel no guilt for being white.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/04/10 at 11:42 am

Why does it all boil down to race and white guilt?
I feel no guilt for being white.

You shouldn't feel guilty for being white. You should feel angry that racists have made decisions in our (USA) name.

Cat

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/04/10 at 12:03 pm

You shouldn't feel guilty for being white. You should feel angry that racists have made decisions in our (USA) name.

Cat

It is a shame, but all the apologizing in the world can't make up for what was done.
Really, it's just another stain on the legacy of the supposed "Golden Era" of America.
I used to think the '30s-60s was the Golden Era too, until I learned of things like this.
I'd have to say now that 1990-2001 was probably the "Golden Era" if there ever was one

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/10 at 12:53 pm

It is a shame, but all the apologizing in the world can't make up for what was done.
Really, it's just another stain on the legacy of the supposed "Golden Era" of America.
I used to think the '30s-60s was the Golden Era too, until I learned of things like this.
I'd have to say now that 1990-2001 was probably the "Golden Era" if there ever was one

Hey...whites didn't like whites at the time since 1/2 of the whites in America early in the 20th Century were from Central and Eastern Europe!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/10 at 10:07 pm

Orac gives the people behind the experiment both barrels.

It's got nothing to do with race, it's got to do with basic medical ethics.  I like the quote from the vet who just came back from fighting a war against that sorta thing (whether he fought against the Germany that gave us Mengele's experiments, or against the Japan that gave us Unit 731 is immaterial).  The Guatemalan experiments were well beyond even what we did to the TuI COULDN'T BRAIN THAT NIGHTskeegee airI HAD THE DUMBmen (those dudes in Tuskeegee.)

Edit: There!  Fixed it!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 2:03 am

They also fed radioactive oatmeal to mentally challenged citizens attending the Fernald School in Belmont, MA, in the 1950s! 

Our understanding of human rights and medical ethics have advanced significantly since those days.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/10 at 8:08 am

The Guatemalan experiments were well beyond even what we did to the Tuskeegee airmen.

You might be mixing up your Tuskegee history.

The Tuskegee Experiment involved sharecroppers that had syphillis but were not treated.

The Tuskegee Airmen were a bunch of heroic black fighter pilots in WW2.

Guatamala experiments were worse than Tuskegee Experiment because in Guatamala, the experiment involved getting the subjects infected first.

In any event, both "experiments" were disgusting.  If any of the perpetrators of these incidents are still alive, they should be publically outed.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 12:57 pm

In any event, both "experiments" were disgusting.  If any of the perpetrators of these incidents are still alive, they should be publically outed.

You're going to drag some 92-year-old army doctor out of the retirement home and he'll say he was "only following orders."
;)

Szell!  Szell!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/06/10 at 9:45 pm

You might be mixing up your Tuskegee history.

The Tuskegee Experiment involved sharecroppers that had syphillis but were not treated.

The Tuskegee Airmen were a bunch of heroic black fighter pilots in WW2.

*selfsmite*. 

Total brain-fart on my part, and thanks for calling me on it.  Anyways, y'all knew what I meant.  But LyricBoy was the guy who actually said what I meant.

Check for new replies or respond here...