» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Are we becoming dumber and dumber?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/03/10 at 4:10 pm

Are shows really making us become total idiots, to the point where our future is like the one, in the film, Idiocracy, or are things even out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0yQunhOaU0

Subject: Re: Are we becoming dumber and dumber?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/03/10 at 9:00 pm

Are shows really making us become total idiots, to the point where our future is like the one, in the film, Idiocracy, or are things even out?

What's with the documentaries, dude?

Never mind The Violence Channel - next week, on ABC, an all-new season of Ow! My Balls!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/03/10 at 9:15 pm

What's with the documentaries, dude?

Never mind The Violence Channel - next week, on ABC, an all-new season of Ow! My Balls!

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/03/10 at 11:45 pm

Yse.  Uh, sey.  I mean eys. 

Uh...lemme get back to you...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/04/10 at 12:54 pm

Two Words...

Reality Television! :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/04/10 at 1:22 pm

There's always dumb stuff on television. Always has been, and always will be.  "Circus of the Stars" "Real People" "The Gong Show" anyone?  The difference is that the dumber stuff gets more coverage in the news.  I hardly see any press for "Breaking Bad" which is probably one of the best programs on television.  Plenty of "Jersey Shore" coverage however. The bigger problem is that news programs feel that celeb coverage is worthy of time on their channels.

I can't find the time to watch all the quality stuff I want.  Just started watching back episodes of "Weeds", and still have yet to watch the new "Battlestar Galactica" and "Firefly" which I know are quality shows.  Might add "Mad Men" in there as well. 

I love old TV shows, but there's only maybe a handful from each decade that stand up next to the best shows of today.  There's a lot more than a handful of good shows on now.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/04/10 at 1:32 pm

Reality shows?  Making one dumb?  ???

Turns out I worked for four years with the guy who was the star of "The Joe Schmo Show" (SpikeTV reality show) and never knew it.

Maybe I woulda been smarter if I had watched that show...  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/10 at 8:28 pm

Reality shows?  Making one dumb?   ???

Turns out I worked for four years with the guy who was the star of "The Joe Schmo Show" (SpikeTV reality show) and never knew it.

Maybe I woulda been smarter if I had watched that show...   ;D

Who came first, the chicken or the egg?

Neither.  The rooster came first!
:)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/05/10 at 10:10 pm

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a bit: (and, of course, to reinforce the notion that for every forum thread, there exists at least one xkcd comic...)

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/idiocracy.png

Then again, as far as my life goes, that's also pretty much a documentary :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/10 at 10:26 pm

^ Yep.  The Greatest Generation said it about the Baby Boomers, the Baby Boomers said it about us (Generation X), and now Generation X is saying it about Generations Y and Z.
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...