» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Demise of the Public Library

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/10 at 3:59 pm

www.commondreams.org/view/2010/10/04-6

"Last week, the New York Times reported  on Library Systems & Services, a private, for-profit company that an increasing number of towns are contracting to take over their local public libraries. The company pares budgets and turns a profit by, among others things, replacing long-term employees with those who will "work." In the article, CEO Frank Pezzanite mocks "this American flag, apple pie thing about libraries" and ridicules the idea that "somehow they have been put in the category of a sacred organization." "

Subject: Re: The Demise of the Public Library

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/05/10 at 6:30 pm

I'll bet that you would get a much bigger outcry if a school district decided to save money by cutting out the football team than the library.

Bottom line, everything needs to be run efficiently these days.  My observation, the administrations of many school systems and library systems have no concept of how to balance financial books separate from sticking their hands out, thinking that somehow they are exempt from the needs to improve efficiency and quality.

In the municipality next door to mine, the library system is decaying and school test scores are "worst in the county", yet they manage to fund and field athletic teams that regularly make it to the State Finals in basketball and football.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/10 at 9:58 pm

I'll bet that you would get a much bigger outcry if a school district decided to save money by cutting out the football team than the library.

Bottom line, everything needs to be run efficiently these days.  My observation, the administrations of many school systems and library systems have no concept of how to balance financial books separate from sticking their hands out, thinking that somehow they are exempt from the needs to improve efficiency and quality.

In the municipality next door to mine, the library system is decaying and school test scores are "worst in the county", yet they manage to fund and field athletic teams that regularly make it to the State Finals in basketball and football.

www.boston.com/yourtown/brookline/articles/2010/10/03/yes_theres_life_after_football/

On that vein, these are two very large colleges in Boston that did just that.  It is past time for colleges to return to the business of education instead of being publicly funded farm teams for the NFL

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 2:18 am

www.boston.com/yourtown/brookline/articles/2010/10/03/yes_theres_life_after_football/

On that vein, these are two very large colleges in Boston that did just that.  It is past time for colleges to return to the business of education instead of being publicly funded farm teams for the NFL

Your City, U.S.A.

Libraries versus stadium.

It's stadium every time.  That's what the voters want: A world class Sports Arena.  These are Biblical times.  This is like the Golden Calf. 

Think of it this way:  If you read books in a culture where people have forgotten how to read books, you hold much power...but you arouse much suspicion!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh3.gif

Written By: Ryan112390 on 10/06/10 at 5:57 am

So lovely to buying living in the death throes of America and the age where Intellectualism died. Not!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/10 at 1:16 pm

So lovely to buying living in the death throes of America and the age where Intellectualism died. Not!

Intellectualism?  How about just literacy?

Libraries are dangerous places for dictatorships.  When my dad was trying to write his thesis in Spain, he had the most frustrating time because they had all these great libraries in Madrid and Barcelona, but Franco didn't want anybody snooping around in them!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...