» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: If you had any doubt about Congress in the pockets of bankers...

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/10 at 1:57 pm

Check out this story:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/07/AR2010100704254.html?hpid=topnews

I believe that the President was correct in refusing to sign this legislation which appears to have been rammed through the Senate with little discussion.

Somebody in the banking industry called in some markers with the Senate...

Subject: Re: If you had any doubt about Congress in the pockets of bankers...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/10 at 2:01 pm

The link doesn't work.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/07/10 at 2:31 pm

The link doesn't work.

Cat

Cat, I changed the link above to the WaPo.  Very odd, the Yahoo link kept getting garbled when I posted it even after I corrected it.  :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/10 at 6:56 pm

Cat, I changed the link above to the WaPo.  Very odd, the Yahoo link kept getting garbled when I posted it even after I corrected it.   :-The House passed the bill in April by a voice vote, meaning there's no record of who voted for or against the legislation. The Senate passed the bill on Sept. 27, just before recess, without any debate.

The whole thing sounds sketchy to me.  Maybe Obama is learning the difference between chicken salad and chickensh*t, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Congress is the bankers' bank.  They feel entitled to get whatever they ask.  After all, they paid for it right?  Suppose you had a savings account with $5000 in it.  What if you went to your bank and requested a withdrawal for $50.00 and they refused to give it to you?  That's how the bankers feel!  There's gonna be hell to pay. 
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/07/10 at 9:38 pm

Maybe Obama is learning the difference between chicken salad and chickensh*t, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Wise man.  He's merely demonstrating that he knows the difference between "I can pass this a month before the election", and "I can ignore it and Congress can pass it again after the election, when I won't jeopardize any of my candidates by signing it."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 1:23 am

If the Republicans take either or both houses of congress, they're not going to get anything done for the country.  All they're going to want to do is undo what Obama did...and...wait for it...investigate every soul Obama ever chanced to meet so as to get something to impeach the man!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/10 at 1:33 am

If the Republicans take either or both houses of congress, they're not going to get anything done for the country.  All they're going to want to do is undo what Obama did...and...wait for it...investigate every soul Obama ever chanced to meet so as to get something to impeach the man!

If they took over both houses, we'd have a situation akin to the Clinton years.  As gridlock goes, that's probably the best scenario possible for the markets.  Alas, a split Congress (in this case, Republican House and a Democratic Senate) isn't so good for the markets.  Even worse than the periods of one-party (House, Senate, and President belonging to the same Party wing) rule.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 1:48 am

If they took over both houses, we'd have a situation akin to the Clinton years.  As gridlock goes, that's probably the best scenario possible for the markets.  Alas, a split Congress (in this case, Republican House and a Democratic Senate) isn't so good for the markets.  Even worse than the periods of one-party (House, Senate, and President belonging to the same Party wing) rule.

What's good for the markets is frequently bad for humanity.  Anybody who challenges the bawling yahoos selling you automobiles and retirement bonds is marginalized as a crank...an arrogant crank who thinks he knows gooder'n you about how to spend your money!

Maggie Thatcher was too leftist when she said there's no such thing as society, only individuals and their families.  She was willing to break with 15,000 years of human history, so I'm not about to go any rounds with Mags!
:o

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/10 at 2:03 am

What's good for the markets is frequently bad for humanity.  

Yeah, but as long as I'm on the winning side of the trade...

http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/53801.gif

Consequences, schmonsequences, 'long as I'm rich!

(Edit: Damn original link went away on me.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, but as long as I'm on the winning side of the trade...

http://floppymcbunny.tripod.com/Daffy_Duck_picture_1.gif

Consequences, schmonsequences, 'long as I'm rich!

That's between you a your maker.  Bookmaker!

If you gotta worry about market fluctuations, you ain't such a John D. Rockefeller nohow!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/10 at 9:00 pm

fluctuations

Well, that's not quite how the Nobel Peace Prize committee put it to the Chinese government, but what does that have to do with stocks? :)

On the bright side, someone got a Nobel Peace Prize who actually deserved one.  So we've got that going for us.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 9:11 pm

Well, that's not quite how the Nobel Peace Prize committee put it to the Chinese government, but what does that have to do with stocks? :)

On the bright side, someone got a Nobel Peace Prize who actually deserved one.  So we've got that going for us.

Arafat, Tho, Kissinger, Carter, Obama...

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/08/10 at 11:03 pm

Arafat, Tho, Kissinger, Carter, Obama... ;D

Hey, I'm as surprised as anyone, but I'm not above giving credit where credit's due.

Sure, they coulda picked Hugo Chavez, but instead they went for a dude who said "Human rights are universal" and in so doing, they flipped the bird so hard to the Chinese government that it turned the People's iPhones into iPods in a futile effort to block their own citizens from reading the news.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/10 at 8:32 am

Arafat, Tho, Kissinger, Carter, Obama...

;D

Let's not forget the "Terrorist Trio" of Arafat, Rabin, and Peres who all got it in '94.

And who can forget Woodrow Wilson, who managed to REVERSE desegregation in the Federal government?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 2:10 am

Let's not forget the "Terrorist Trio" of Arafat, Rabin, and Peres who all got it in '94.

And who can forget Woodrow Wilson, who managed to REVERSE desegregation in the Federal government?

I don't think he managed to reverse desegregation, though precious little there was du jure in 1915.

He was a racist.  He made no bones about that.  He also had no trouble using the courts to sentence dissenters to prison.  He did think it was a good idea to have a sort of "League of Nations" so we can work out our disagreements without bloodshed.  Who could argue against that? 

I just don't like the man he was. 

Furthermore, I know Glenn Beck likes to hold up Woodrow Wilson as Satan in his psychotic Sesame Street.  But our problems today do not really start political/public policy left by which to remember Woodrow Wilson.  That was close to 100 years ago.  In Wilson's time we didn't even have Social Security.  Glenn Beck sometimes gets it right for the wrong reason.  Here he didn't even get it right for any reason!.  Yeah, you can kick FDR's bones down the street cursing their names.  You can call it a Kennedy plot.  You can say Nixon was behind it.  But the fundamental change in American civic sentiment occurred in the Ronald Reagan years.  We moved into a financial Ponzi scheme economy (aka. The Information Society, The Service Economy, downsizing, right-sizing, and all that right wing idiocy FOX still cranks out, and Tom Friedman)  Right, so we moved into a financial Ponzi scheme economy.  We had record numbers of Americans participating in the stock market.  Most of it through 401K retirement plans and such.  These "investors" had absolutely no say in how the corporation was to conduct itself.  It's sh*t.

That was not the original philosophy of limited liability, which required investors, not consumers as investors.  That is people who play the market like it's a lottery.  I've heard it gets pretty stressful.  Maybe you're ready to shoot your wife and kids at the end of the day.  Maybe you're ready to shoot your wife and kids anyway, but we can help you afford it in style. 
:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/10 at 2:12 am

Like I said, this is Bizarro Inthe00s Month: for once, I'm the guy arguing that you should pay $75 if you want the fire department to put your house out when you set it on fire, and that the Nobel Peace Prize committee is doing OK.  I'm not crazy!  Y'all are the ones that are crazy! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/13/10 at 8:34 pm

Like I said, this is Bizarro Inthe00s Month: for once, I'm the guy arguing that you should pay $75 if you want the fire department to put your house out when you set it on fire, and that the Nobel Peace Prize committee is doing OK.  I'm not crazy!  Y'all are the ones that are crazy! :)

INSTITUTION!!!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...