» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: It Gets Better

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/08/10 at 6:42 pm

For anyone who has been bullied in high school, whether they are Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered, Bi, or Straight, life after high school gets better.

I myself, was the reviving of end of bullying in high school, and there was times I felt horrible, depressed, and down, and at times didn't want to go to class, since one of the bullies was in the same class as me.

The worst is behind me, I have a job that pays half decent, an apartment of my own, and more happier than I was in the past.

There is also a project going on at the moment, that worth checking out, too.

http://www.popsugar.com/Celebrities-Send-Messages-Hope-Victims-Bullying-Gets-Better-11367871

http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IcVyvg2Qlo

Subject: Re: It Gets Better

Written By: Ashkicksass on 10/08/10 at 6:53 pm

That's really great.  I think we all have a hard time growing up.  Everyone gets bullied at some point or another but you always think you're the only one. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/08/10 at 7:26 pm

That's really great.  I think we all have a hard time growing up.  Everyone gets bullied at some point or another but you always think you're the only one. 

I agree, just knowing that there are others out there, makes life worth living.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/10 at 8:09 pm

I was bullied without mercy too.  Junior high was the worst.  The sadistic harrassment lessened in high school, but the ostracism was even worse.  The schools said the same stuff they said to those guys.  Maybe my guidance counselor had a good point about my theatrics.  If you go to school with Johnny Rotten hair and Clockwork Orange eye make-up, you're going to get ostracized.  What my silly counselor couldn't figure out is how much worse it was before I went total freak.  It got the redneck bullies to stand back. 

In junior high, the vice principal finally told me:

"There's nothing I can do about it.  This is just the way eighth grade kids act."

I thought,

"Well, what am I supposed to do, get a gun and start shooting these f**kers?"

This was the early '80s.  The only school shooting was "I Don't Like Mondays."  It took the mass murder/suicide at Columbine for bullying to even enter the public discourse as a problem at least as weighty as peanut allergies!  Then you know what?  It fell off the radar again after 9/11.  Then just last year there was the suicide of Phoebe Prince in South Hadley, MA, which near my neck of the woods.  Then people started talking about the bullying problem again.  Do people have to die in order for bullying to be taken seriously? 
::)

The irony is, I wasn't even gay.  I was a raging heterosexual.  I was sure called those wicked epithets every day though!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/10 at 4:28 am

Do people have to die in order for bullying to be taken seriously? 

Apparently

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/09/10 at 12:19 pm

I, too was bullied. I have told this story before but there may be a few people who have not heard it. In 6th grade, I was walking and found that I was surrounded by 5 or 6 girls or so who wanted to "kick my @$$" for no other reason than the fact that they didn't like me. They were very brave-5 or 6 to 1.  ::) I was so scared. I had a guardian angel that day. This woman driving by saw what was going on and stopped her car and intervened on my behalf. As she was talking to the other girls, I high-tailed it out of there. I held it together until I got home. My mother was sitting on the porch and as soon as I got to her, I just started crying & crying & crying. I can't recall if it was the next day or a couple days later when this one girl (who wasn't there) asked me if I knew who the woman was. She then told me it was her mother-she must have been in the car but I didn't see her. I had other things on my mind right then. She probably told her mother what was going on and I don't know if she asked her mother to stop or not. That really surprised me because I thought that girl was one of ones who wanted to "kick my @$$." My respect for that one girl went up at that point-but we never became friends.

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/09/10 at 2:18 pm

I have had things thrown at me, more than one twitty twister done, a knife shown to me (in a school library no less), half a bottle of hot sauce put into a bowl, while I was no looking, during home ec class, one of my friends was tormented a lot, for being mentally handicapped, attacked nearly in computer room, followed by a really creepy student, chased around a class room into a dark closet, with someone following me afterwards and going into the room after wards, with the door closed afterwards, amongst other stuff.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/09/10 at 3:46 pm

I have had things thrown at me, more than one twitty twister done, a knife shown to me (in a school library no less), half a bottle of hot sauce put into a bowl, while I was no looking, during home ec class, one of my friends was tormented a lot, for being mentally handicapped, attacked nearly in computer room, followed by a really creepy student, chased around a class room into a dark closet, with someone following me afterwards and going into the room after wards, with the door closed afterwards, amongst other stuff.

That is just not right.  Were you able to do anything about it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/09/10 at 4:18 pm

That is just not right.  Were you able to do anything about it.

No, not really.  I did have some people to talk about it, though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 1:01 am

Apparently

Again this week it was Larry King and Dr. Phil talking to the family whose 11-year-old son hanged himself because the other kids were tormenting him.  Dr. Phil actually sounded intelligent for once!

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/10 at 7:53 am

What about Jr. High?

I was bullied by some kids at a Lutheran School...A Lutheran School!

Sure 1996 was fun, but in the School Rooms...it sucked! So I was Home-Schooled throughout my entire High School years, and now I'm so far behind with sheesh such as getting a car, having a girlfriend, and my job status. :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 10:10 am

What about Jr. High?

I was bullied by some kids at a Lutheran School...A Lutheran School!

Sure 1996 was fun, but in the School Rooms...it sucked! So I was Home-Schooled throughout my entire High School years, and now I'm so far behind with sheesh such as getting a car, having a girlfriend, and my job status. :(

The effects of bullying don't necessarily end when school ends.  Kids who bully don't know what life is like for the victims of their bad behavior.  They don't know the inner torments a student might be suffering.  They don't know what might be happening to the student at home.  I don't expect them to know.  They're kids.  I think the schools have to address these issues and not chalk it up to "kids being kids."

Things were always bad at school and bad at home.  I got no relief.  Thus my depression only deepened.  The damage laid waste to young adulthood when the opportunities are offered. 

Since Americans have been indoctrinated to care only about money, I will make the argument bullying is bad for the economy because a person full of anger and low self-esteem cannot realize his full potential as a contributor to society.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/10 at 3:30 pm

The effects of bullying don't necessarily end when school ends.  Kids who bully don't know what life is like for the victims of their bad behavior.  They don't know the inner torments a student might be suffering.  They don't know what might be happening to the student at home.  I don't expect them to know.  They're kids.  I think the schools have to address these issues and not chalk it up to "kids being kids."

Things were always bad at school and bad at home.  I got no relief.  Thus my depression only deepened.  The damage laid waste to young adulthood when the opportunities are offered. 

Since Americans have been indoctrinated to care only about money, I will make the argument bullying is bad for the economy because a person full of anger and low self-esteem cannot realize his full potential as a contributor to society.

Home in the 90's was great! Home in the 00's and now suck....I'm at my Parents Home now and it's just depressing. :\'(

Thankfully I live with my brother!

Check for new replies or respond here...