» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: More private business job growth in two years of Obama than 8 years of GWB

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/09/10 at 3:11 pm

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2010/10/08/its-official-more-private-sector-jobs-created-in-2010-than-during-entire-bush-years/

There has been a total of 863,000 private sector jobs created in 2010, exceeding the total created under the Bush/Cheney regime.

Subject: Re: More private business job growth in two years of Obama than 8 years of GWB

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/09/10 at 3:30 pm

What?

My dad has a Private Paving Job and it didn't go anywhere!

I'm guessing it was The Census Job because the last was was under Clinton/Gore and the one now is under Obama/Biden!

And many people don't want to work either...they want to depend on the Government!

So Bush had the worst job growth since Hoover...they NEVER recognize Hoover as a job destroyer. No doubt GWB will beswept into oblivion real soon....

Subject: Re: More private business job growth in two years of Obama than 8 years of GWB

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/10 at 3:34 pm

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2010/10/08/its-official-more-private-sector-jobs-created-in-2010-than-during-entire-bush-years/

There has been a total of 863,000 private sector jobs created in 2010, exceeding the total created under the Bush/Cheney regime.

We can;t really talk about "job creation" until we get back to employment levels of, say, January 2008 or so.  Until then all we are talking about is job restoration.  Those 2010 jobs barely put a dent in job losses incurred in either of the prior two years.

Bottom line unemployment is well above 9% and that is a huge problem.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/09/10 at 3:35 pm

What?

My dad has a Private Paving Job and it didn't go anywhere!

I'm guessing it was The Census Job because the last was was under Clinton/Gore and the one now is under Obama/Biden!

And many people don't want to work either...they want to depend on the Government!

So Bush had the worst job growth since Hoover...they NEVER recognize Hoover as a job destroyer. No doubt GWB will beswept into oblivion real soon....

Private job growth not Gov't Job growth.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/09/10 at 3:36 pm

We can;t really talk about "job creation" until we get back to employment levels of, say, January 2008 or so.  Until then all we are talking about is job restoration.  Those 2010 jobs barely put a dent in job losses incurred in either of the prior two years.

Bottom line unemployment is well above 9% and that is a huge problem.

just keep moving the bar... but yeah, the unemployment situation sucks.  Yet I still see a lot of job listings in the paper around here.

Subject: Meanwhile, in the real world...

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/09/10 at 11:07 pm

Too bad most of those jobs can be found in India, China, Mexico, and Brazil.
Those in this country are all at Wal-Mart! The only place those whose jobs have been outsourced can afford to shop.

A little dose of reality from
Doc

>:(

Subject: Re: Meanwhile, in the real world...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 12:27 am

Too bad most of those jobs can be found in India, China, Mexico, and Brazil.
Those in this country are all at Wal-Mart! The only place those whose jobs have been outsourced can afford to shop.

A little dose of reality from
Doc

>:(

It's getting there, Doc, it's getting there.

When it becomes normal to default on your mortgage, have no cash for creditors, or prospects for secure employment.  Social unrest becomes the response.  You don't have to do anything.  Just sit idly by.  It'll happen.
8)

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/10 at 7:37 am

IMO-Privatized Jobs jumped because no one can afford the rent for their house, so they have gardens and sell their produce on the street corner.

During the Bush/Cheney Years, people bought land and houses because that was the market at the time.

I'm no economist...but that's what I believe.

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/10/10 at 10:06 am

IMO-Privatized Jobs jumped because no one can afford the rent for their house, so they have gardens and sell their produce on the street corner.

During the Bush/Cheney Years, people bought land and houses because that was the market at the time.

I'm no economist...but that's what I believe.

Clearly.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 10:23 am

The agenda for both parties is making the rich richer.  The Dems still think you have to throw a few crumbs to the great unwashed so they can go buy more plastic sh*t made in China.  The Republicans live in a fantasy where greed and war are the highest Christian virtues.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

Written By: snozberries on 10/10/10 at 1:45 pm

Clearly.

I wish I could give you 10 karma's for that response!  ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/10/10 at 2:46 pm

The agenda for both parties is making the rich richer.  The Dems still think you have to throw a few crumbs to the great unwashed so they can go buy more plastic sh*t made in China.  The Republicans live in a fantasy where greed and war are the highest Christian virtues.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad4.gif

You'll find plenty of "rich richer", "greed" and "war" from both of the major parties.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/10/10 at 3:28 pm

Clearly.

So what do you think happened? Why there's more private buisness now than there was in the 2000's?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/10/10 at 11:52 pm

You'll find plenty of "rich richer", "greed" and "war" from both of the major parties.

That's why I'm jaded on both.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/11/10 at 10:21 am

So what do you think happened? Why there's more private buisness now than there was in the 2000's?

Because employers hired more people.  Unfortunately, gov'ts at all levels laid people off, and the private sector hasn't hired enough to lower unemployment.  Further, as jobs open up, people who dropped out of the labor force are coming back in.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/11/10 at 3:57 pm

Because employers hired more people.  Unfortunately, gov'ts at all levels laid people off, and the private sector hasn't hired enough to lower unemployment.  Further, as jobs open up, people who dropped out of the labor force are coming back in.

In a way...you can say that....

Between 2002 and 2004, I worked at Discount Drug Mart which was a chain store.

Between 2004 and 2006, I worked at Bucci's Brick Oven which had three restaurants.

Between 2008 and now, I work at a Church...is a church a private business?

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/10 at 5:02 pm

In a way...you can say that....

Between 2002 and 2004, I worked at Discount Drug Mart which was a chain store.

Between 2004 and 2006, I worked at Bucci's Brick Oven which had three restaurants.

Between 2008 and now, I work at a Church...is a church a private business?

A church is a non profit. 

I'm curious tho. You've mentioned your dads in a previous and now you talk about the jobs you held.  You cannot take the experiences of an individual or two use that to rationalize the state of a nation.  There are individual factors at work for either the companies or the individual that make it irrelevant to what's going on in the US.  

I have held my job for 12 yrs does that mean I think there isn't a problem because I've stayed employed? 

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/11/10 at 5:28 pm

A church is a non profit. 

I'm curious tho. You've mentioned your dads in a previous and now you talk about the jobs you held.  You cannot take the experiences of an individual or two use that to rationalize the state of a nation.  There are individual factors at work for either the companies or the individual that make it irrelevant to what's going on in the US.  

I have held my job for 12 yrs does that mean I think there isn't a problem because I've stayed employed? 

No...

The last two jobs that I had was dead-end. They got the best of me, I got laid-off from the 2002-2004 job, because I got mad. I left my 2004-2006 job because someone (who wasn't my boss) was pushing me because he told me I wasn't doing my job...though I was doing the same thing (washing dishes) for 21 months and some kid who was there for two days had the NERVE to tell me what to do!

You...you're job is rather steady...not dead end, but what I'm curious about is what makes a privately-owned job? :-\\

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/10 at 2:04 am

(Geez, and I thought I was only going to be here for an hour tonight.  Serves me right for taking a couple of days off.)

Bush benefited from the low interest rates prompted by the dot-com crash that was the hangover from the Clinton era.  The damage from that crash was localized to the tech sector, however, and it was very easy to make serious coin by simply ignoring dot-coms in 2000 and buying boring old industrial companies.

The ensuing real estate bubble (2002-2008) was prompted by the money from the dot-com crash going into residential mortgages.  The retail investor was terrified of "the stock market" (because all they knew was "dot com", rather than the boring sort of industrial companies that were still making money in the early-2000s), and wanted to put what profits they had into a house.

Conveniently (not tinfoil-hattery here, it really was a coincidence), we had the recession brought on by the dot-com implosion exacerbated by 9/11.  While New York smoldered, the Fed opened the Discount Window, reducing interest rates in order to provide whatever liquidity was needed to keep the system afloat - as JP Morgan (the guy after whom the firm was named) did during the Crash of 1907, in 1929 ("Morgan Bank"), and as Greenspan did in 1987.

So - it's 2002.  Rates have been slashed after 9/11.  Dot-coms have crashed less than a year ago and everyone's scared to invest in the markets, and that goes double because we're about to invade Iraq.  So where does all that cash go when rates are at 2-3%?  Right.  Into the housing market.

We can fast forward to 2008 - when this happened, and we found out what those mortgages were really worth.  (My other mistake was in thinking that only the buyers of the bonds towards the end of the stick-figure slideshow would suffer.  Turns out that when their debt goes down, the CDS's that secured the other side of the trade also implode, and often take the institution down with it.  But you already saw Wall Street 2, haven't you? :)

We can skip ahead a bit to 2010 - when it turns out the paperwork from pre-2008 was so bad that it's not even clear if the foreclosures on those bad loans are legal.  Yes, it was - and is that bad.  It looks like it's going to be papered over by the powers that be, because, well, the alternative would really suck, because the banks are still insolvent.  So let's just pretend they're solvent, and kick the can down the road a few more years.

I don't do this for a living, nor am I an economist, but I made money in 2000, 2001, made serious coin in 2003 when the bombs fell.  My biggest mistake was in calling for hyperinflation in 2008, not deflation prompted by the destruction of credit, and if it's any consolation, that call cost me the profits I'd made from the war.  I've made most of that back over the past year or so as the dollar deflates and gold takes its place, but I still don't know how it all plays out.  Do we get moderate deflation and then inflation, or does inflation spike so hard, so fast, that demand collapses, deflation kicks in, and the entire system implodes in 201x as it threatened to do in 2008?

My money's on "muddling through" (a'la Japan's 1990-2010 stagnation), but that's only because if "the world ends", there'll be nobody left from whom I'll be able to collect.

'Cos night and day I'm playin' money,
And boy, this game is really funny,
'Cos if you fail and start to lose,
I sure wouldn't wanna be in your shoes!
   - The italo-house obscurity known as "Scotch", Money Runner (or in instrumental form, Drink a Scotch), 1987

You can make money off politics, but if your investment strategy is based on whether the puppet on the guy's left hand or the puppet on the guy's right hand happens to hold the title of "President", you're doing it wrong.

Check for new replies or respond here...