» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Use of GPS Tracking in Criminal Investigations

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/10 at 5:48 pm

Seems that the FBI and other agencies have been using magnetic GPS devices placed on people's cars to track their movements.  Seems this is mainly beingf used in drug cases.  See attached link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101016/ap_on_re_us/us_gps_tracking_warrants

For some reason the FBI has been getting lazy and not getting warrants to do this.  Court decisions on this practive so far have been vague.

My opinion?  Warrants should be required. 

Subject: Re: Use of GPS Tracking in Criminal Investigations

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/10 at 6:13 pm

When you find the one on your car, FedEx it to the FBI.  After all, it's still government property, right?  The fact that this particular model resembles a Naughty Thing would only make the ensuing media report even funnier.

(The real punchline is that most of us - myself included - voluntarily carry one in our cars.  We just call it a "cell phone".)

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/16/10 at 6:50 pm

When you find the one on your car, FedEx it to the FBI.  After all, it's still government property, right?  The fact that this particular model resembles a Naughty Thing would only make the ensuing media report even funnier.

(The real punchline is that most of us - myself included - voluntarily carry one in our cars.  We just call it a "cell phone".)

I now work for a trucking company that has 80,000 pound big rigs.

If I ever find one of those suckers underneath my car, I will either:

(a) Slap it underneath a trailer headed deep into Mexico
(b) Throw it under the tires of a truck headed deep into Mexico.

;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 10/16/10 at 7:21 pm

I now work for a trucking company that has 80,000 pound big rigs.

If I ever find one of those suckers underneath my car, I will either:

(a) Slap it underneath a trailer headed deep into Mexico
(b) Throw it under the tires of a truck headed deep into Mexico.

;D

I think I'd put it under a cop car.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/10 at 10:50 pm

I think I'd put it under a cop car.

I think I'd put it under a cop!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/laughing11.gif

One federal judge wrote that the widespread use of the device was straight out of George Orwell's novel, "1984".

My first thought exactly!  

I hope they're using utmost discretion when they're installing those devices.  Or do I?

You know, a lot of the people the FBI wants to track might not take kindly to some strange dudes monkeying around with their cars.  A suspected dope dealer just might shoot an agent's ass off! Ooops!  Now it's the hot shot for sure!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...