» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Hitler costume council leader suspended

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/10 at 5:49 pm

The leader of Harrogate Borough Council has been suspended from the Conservative Party after being photographed dressed as Adolf Hitler.

Mike Gardner, who was pictured giving a Nazi salute at a fancy dress party, said he had done "nothing wrong".

He has vowed to remain as leader of the Conservative-controlled council, serving as an independent.

Conservative Party headquarters said he had been suspended pending an investigation into his conduct.

Asked why he had chosen to wear the Nazi-style uniform, Mr Gardner said: "It's one of those situations, you had to be there.

"There was nothing wrong, it was just good fun. I was at a fancy dress party, it was nothing more."

He said the Conservative Party's decision to suspend him had been "very improper".

The images were taken from a Facebook page, which Mr Gardner said was a "total violation of my privacy".

He said: "I am a councillor who represents the people, politics is not my thing, serving the people is my game.

"I am disgusted about what the Conservatives have decided to do.

"I serve the people of Harrogate and serve them very well actually.

"If I have gone wrong I will apologise now to the people of Harrogate, if I have offended them in any way."

A council spokesman confirmed that Mr Gardner was still leader but nobody from the local authority was available for further comment on Friday.

Subject: Re: Hitler costume council leader suspended

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/10 at 7:49 pm

Sounds familiar...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20019166-503544.html

Don't they teach what the Blitzkrieg was anymore?  The Nazis all but leveled London.  What about all the British people who suffered and died in WWII?  Mr Gardner needs a b*tch slap from the ghost of Winston Churchill!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/22/10 at 7:54 pm

He needs a bitch slap, period!

>:(

Mike Gardner, what a douchbag!

>:(

Written By: Macphisto on 10/23/10 at 11:05 am

Once you become a public figure, you lose the right to have a sense of humor.

Personally, I don't care if some official wears a Hitler costume at a party.  I care more about what connections he or she has to big business.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/10 at 12:29 pm

^ SINCE WHEN IS IT FUNNY TO WEAR A HITLER COSTUME?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uhoh3.gif

Written By: philbo on 10/23/10 at 5:02 pm

Maybe you should ask Mel Brooks about that...

The images were taken from a Facebook page, which Mr Gardner said was a "total violation of my privacy".
...he obviously has no conception of what Facebook "privacy" is.  Anyone who puts any images on Facebook should expect them to be public domain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/24/10 at 12:55 am

Maybe you should ask Mel Brooks about that...

Oh, good point.  Mel isn't standing for public office, though!

Mel is also Jewish.  On principle, that shouldn't make a difference, but it does nonetheless.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/10 at 8:31 am

Sounds familiar...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20019166-503544.html

Don't they teach what the Blitzkrieg was anymore?  The Nazis all but leveled London.  What about all the British people who suffered and died in WWII?  Mr Gardner needs a b*tch slap from the ghost of Winston Churchill!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/disgust.gif

But the Allies (at British insistence) incinerated the civilian population of Dresden, only in alot less time than the blitz of London.  Similar massive bombing campaigns were launched against the civilian populations of Hamburg and Nuremberg too.

Seems that the continuing trend of favoring "political correctness" versus "freedom of speech" extends well beyond the US borders.  I imagine that more than a few people on the Indian Subcontinent would be offended by somebody dressing up as a British historical figure too.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/24/10 at 1:30 pm

It's pretty funny at a costume party.  I'd do it if I had one and there was the right context involved.  Obviously, I'd have to know that any Jews potentially coming to the party would understand that I would be doing it not to offend them.  If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't do it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 1:16 am

But the Allies (at British insistence) incinerated the civilian population of Dresden, only in alot less time than the blitz of London.  Similar massive bombing campaigns were launched against the civilian populations of Hamburg and Nuremberg too.

Seems that the continuing trend of favoring "political correctness" versus "freedom of speech" extends well beyond the US borders.  I imagine that more than a few people on the Indian Subcontinent would be offended by somebody dressing up as a British historical figure too.

German: Vill you stop talking about ze var?
Fawlty: Well, you started it!
German: Ve did not!
Fawlty: Yes you did, you invaded Poland!

--Fawlty Towers

Written By: philbo on 10/25/10 at 6:12 am

Oh, good point.  Mel isn't standing for public office, though!

He should.  I'd definitely vote for him :)

Mel is also Jewish.  On principle, that shouldn't make a difference, but it does nonetheless.

I'm really rather ambivalent about this.. probably comes of being half Jewish.. but one big part of me thinks that the best way to exorcise the demons of the past, such as Hitler, is expose them to ridicule.  The almost mythological bogeyman status that surrounds the Hitler image is weird: he really shouldn't be this Voldemort-like "never say his name" character.  Maybe there should be some public guidelines for Hitler fancy dress costumes: it's OK, providing you camp it up big time and wear pink frilly underwear.

It's one reason why I love Mel Brooks' take on Hitler: it really shows him (Hitler, that is) as more than a little ridiculous.. which, let's face it, he was, big time.

German: Vill you stop talking about ze var?
Fawlty: Well, you started it!
German: Ve did not!
Fawlty: Yes you did, you invaded Poland!

--Fawlty Towers

Never fails to have me in stitches that bit - partly because the bit just before it in the sketch has got a little bit too painfully embarrassing (I find a lot of Fawlty Towers rather like that), I'm actually wanting it to end but knowing the killer punchline is on the way.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/10 at 12:46 pm

He should.  I'd definitely vote for him :)
I'm really rather ambivalent about this.. probably comes of being half Jewish.. but one big part of me thinks that the best way to exorcise the demons of the past, such as Hitler, is expose them to ridicule.  The almost mythological bogeyman status that surrounds the Hitler image is weird: he really shouldn't be this Voldemort-like "never say his name" character.  Maybe there should be some public guidelines for Hitler fancy dress costumes: it's OK, providing you camp it up big time and wear pink frilly underwear.

It's one reason why I love Mel Brooks' take on Hitler: it really shows him (Hitler, that is) as more than a little ridiculous.. which, let's face it, he was, big time.
Never fails to have me in stitches that bit - partly because the bit just before it in the sketch has got a little bit too painfully embarrassing (I find a lot of Fawlty Towers rather like that), I'm actually wanting it to end but knowing the killer punchline is on the way.

It's hard to believe there are only twelve Fawlty Towers episodes.  One Fawlty Towers is worth ten of your average sit-com, maybe 100!

I have Jewish friends.  Their feelings about Nazi Germany run the gamut from the one who gets enraged if he so much as sees as swastika to the one who makes Holocaust jokes.  It all depends on the individual.  That's why one has to be careful.  I never looked into the matter, but I'm sure Mel Brooks got a lot of hate mail from Jewish organizations who took offense to his jests.  Thus, I would never vote for a politician who dressed up as Hitler because it demonstrates a profound lack of sensitivity and good judgment!
::)
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...