» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: China unveils own mapping service

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/10 at 8:18 am

China has launched an official online mapping service called Map World.

The web-based service gives people access to increasingly detailed satellite images of China and high-level images of other nations.

The flat maps can be viewed in 3D if visitors download and install a browser plug-in to convert the images.

China said the service was still in development and would be updated regularly. It said it could currently handle about 10 million visits per day.

Map World has been created by China's State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping from satellite images collected over the last four years. It said the information depicted would be updated every six months.

Within the nation's borders, images have a 2.5m resolution in rural areas and can go down to 0.6m resolution in 300 cities. Beyond its borders, images have a 500m resolution and many nations are blank when users zoom in.

Mapping services are tightly restricted in China and any company wanting to offer them must obtain a licence. This imposes strict conditions on what they can show and where the servers hosting the service can be located.

The Mapping bureau said about 80 companies, including Nokia, had bought mapping licences. Google is not thought to be one of them.

When China announced plans for the map licence scheme the search giant said it would consider its options before deciding whether to sign up. Google does have maps of China on its services but they are not as detailed as in many other nations.

One stumbling block could be the widely publicised shift of Google's servers out of mainland China to avoid official oversight of what its users were doing.

Subject: Re: China unveils own mapping service

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/23/10 at 8:33 am

China has launched an official online mapping service called Map World.

The web-based service gives people access to increasingly detailed satellite images of China and high-level images of other nations.

The flat maps can be viewed in 3D if visitors download and install a browser plug-in to convert the images.

China said the service was still in development and would be updated regularly. It said it could currently handle about 10 million visits per day.

Map World has been created by China's State Bureau of Surveying and Mapping from satellite images collected over the last four years. It said the information depicted would be updated every six months.

Within the nation's borders, images have a 2.5m resolution in rural areas and can go down to 0.6m resolution in 300 cities. Beyond its borders, images have a 500m resolution and many nations are blank when users zoom in.

Mapping services are tightly restricted in China and any company wanting to offer them must obtain a licence. This imposes strict conditions on what they can show and where the servers hosting the service can be located.

The Mapping bureau said about 80 companies, including Nokia, had bought mapping licences. Google is not thought to be one of them.

When China announced plans for the map licence scheme the search giant said it would consider its options before deciding whether to sign up. Google does have maps of China on its services but they are not as detailed as in many other nations.

One stumbling block could be the widely publicised shift of Google's servers out of mainland China to avoid official oversight of what its users were doing.

I don't know about this.

I'd be awfully leery of downloading any program that was created by the Chinese government.  :o :o :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/10 at 12:41 pm

I don't know about this.

I'd be awfully leery of downloading any program that was created by the Chinese government.  :o :o :o

You said it!  And how!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hiding.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/23/10 at 9:49 pm

I'd be awfully leery of downloading any program that was created by the Chinese government.  :o :o :o

Hell, on machines that I control, I don't even trust CNNIC's cert.  (Which is funny, because when disabling it, I decided I might as well trust pretty much everyone else on there, even something called
"(c) Turktrust", with an umlaut over the first "u".  Presumably that's Turkey's certificate authority.  *boggle* :)

But it's SSL and cheap paranoia,
Got a lot of certs and cheap paranoia,
Gotta trust 'em all, even if they annoy ya,
And I ain't sayin' CNNIC's the worst!
That's nobody's business but the Turks'...

Check for new replies or respond here...