» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Could overhaul undermine employer health coverage?

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/24/10 at 9:15 am

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EMPLOYER_HEALTH_PLANS?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

I read this article today, some interesting stuff in there.

But here is my question that I've had for quite some time.  The Administration has spent quite a bit of effort vilifying those rat-bastard businesspeople who are nickle and diming the general public.

But the Obamacare package actually offers a DISINCENTIVE for employers who offer generous health care insurance packages by TAXING THE HELL OUT OF THEM, while of course introducing a $2000 tax on companies that do not offer health insurance at all. 

What's up with that? ???

Subject: Re: Could overhaul undermine employer health coverage?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/24/10 at 1:26 pm

Well, I'll put it this way.  One of the things that makes us less competitive as a country for hiring purposes is the private sector's burden of coverage.  In most highly developed nations, there is a true NHS.  This means employers don't have to worry about providing full benefits to employees, because they are covered by taxes.

When you combine this fact with the fact that our corporate taxation is higher than in most other highly developed countries, it's no wonder corporations would rather operate in Canada, Europe, Japan, South Korea, or Australia.

If America truly wants to compete with the rest of the developed world for skilled jobs, then we need to do the following things:
1) implement a NHS
2) lower corporate taxes
3) raise personal taxes on the wealthy
4) improve precollegiate education and implement a multiple tier system like Germany or the Netherlands
5) socialize collegiate education more

If we did all that in a way that was competitive with the rest of the developed world, then we would have fewer problems with outsourcing skilled jobs.  We'd still lose lower skilled jobs (like in manufacturing), but we'd have more high skill jobs and a healthier, smarter workforce.

Check for new replies or respond here...