» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Royal wedding April 29th: William and Kate start planning

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 1:26 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50008000/jpg/_50008647_010660325-1.jpg

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50012000/jpg/_50012077_010662331-1.jpg
Jewellers say they have already had orders for copies of Miss Middleton's engagement ring

Prince William and Kate Middleton have been holding discussions over the royal wedding, which is due to take place in London next spring or summer.

The couple, both 28, were "still on cloud nine" after their engagement was announced on Tuesday, a spokesman for St James's Palace said.

They have given royal aides a list of possible wedding dates and venues, which will now be considered.

Meanwhile, US President Obama said he "sends best wishes" to the couple.

The news of the engagement triggered congratulations and widespread news coverage around the world.

The St James's Palace spokesman said: "They are still very much on cloud nine and are still enjoying the happy moment.

"They are enjoying talking to friends and family and enjoying one another's company and showing their commitment to each other publicly."

He said "all options are on the table" after the couple spent part of Wednesday discussing options with officials.

Aides will now consult with the Queen, senior royals, Miss Middleton's parents and others before reporting back to Prince William and Kate, who will make the final decision.

The spokesman stressed the prince and his bride-to-be were conscious of the country's economic situation.

The wedding will take place in London and the couple will then live in North Wales, where the prince, who is second in line to the throne, is serving with the RAF.

Speculation about the wedding venue has focused on Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral and the smaller Guards Chapel, where the 10th anniversary memorial service for Princess Diana's death took place.

Meanwhile, a group of schoolchildren from Westminster's St Augustine's primary school discussed the wedding with the Duchess of Cornwall as they rode a Routemaster bus through the centre of London.

She told them it would be a "big wedding" and they will "even invite the Queen", some of the children said afterwards.

In the Commons, Prime Minister David Cameron made a statement to MPs: "I'm sure the whole House will wish to join me in sending our warmest congratulations and best wishes to Prince William and Kate Middleton on their engagement.

"I'm sure everyone agrees this is wonderful news, we look forward to the wedding itself with excitement and anticipation."

BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said Buckingham Palace would be "very sensitive" to the economic climate when making its plans.

He said: "They will want to send a very definite signal that it is not on the lavish scale of the Charles and Diana wedding of 30 years ago, that it will be a royal wedding suitable and appropriate to the times."

Anti-monarchy group Republic said taxpayers should not have to pay any money towards the event as the wedding should be "private".

But the chief executive of VisitBritain, Sandy Dawe, said the wedding would be a great tourist attraction.

"We've seen the story of their announcement of the marriage go global. The ceremony itself could attract many billions of viewers around the world and that publicity is almost bound to generate more visitors from overseas."

Speaking in a joint television interview, the prince said he gave his fiancee his mother Diana's engagement ring, having carried it in a rucksack for three weeks.

"It's my mother's engagement ring so I thought it was quite nice because obviously she's not going to be around to share any of the fun and excitement of it all - this was my way of keeping her close to it all," he said.

His bride-to-be called the late princess "an inspirational woman" and said that joining the Royal Family was a "daunting prospect" but something she hoped to take in her stride.

Subject: Re: Royal wedding: William and Kate start planning

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/10 at 1:33 pm

Yay!  Nothing like a good wedding to cheer me up!  I love all the splendor and hoopla, I remember wathing the ceremony of his parents' wedding live (on telly, of course) all those years ago.

Maybe he could use the money that he would have spent on an engagement ring for part of the ceremony?  lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 1:34 pm

Maybe he could use the money that he would have spent on an engagement ring for part of the ceremony?  lol
That is the argument over here, who is going to pay for the wedding, us the tax payer or the Royal Family!

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 2:31 pm

That is the argument over here, who is going to pay for the wedding, us the tax payer or the Royal Family!

Bet you can't guess!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 2:32 pm

Bet you can't guess!  ::)
Look at it another way, I am still paying for the building of the Olympics in Stratford

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 2:35 pm

Look at it another way, I am still paying for the building of the Olympics in Stratford

I thought we were still paying off the Americans for the WW2 loans... :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/10 at 2:37 pm

Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone and have the wedding in one of he Olympic buildings?  Nah, probably not.  Too practical.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 2:46 pm

Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone and have the wedding in one of he Olympic buildings?  Nah, probably not.  Too practical.   ;D

That sounds like an idea!

Or why not have the ceremony via pay-per-view just before the first medals are given out...

It's worth a shot...I'll get an OBE for this!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 2:47 pm

I thought we were still paying off the Americans for the WW2 loans... :P
Hasn't that been written off?

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 2:50 pm

You're joking aren't you? The Americans don't let you off that easily!  ::) ;)

In actual fact, I think all our war loans were eventually repaid about five years ago!  :o

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/10 at 2:50 pm

I'd accept an authentic scone and clotted cream tea and call it even.  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/10 at 2:52 pm

In actual fact, I think all our war loans were eventually repaid about five years ago!  :o

Rats!  There goes my idea.  Oh well.  :\'(

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 3:38 pm

Rats!  There goes my idea.  Oh well.  :\'(

We should have taken your option...a darn sight cheaper and tastier!  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/17/10 at 3:48 pm

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/50012000/jpg/_50012077_010662331-1.jpg
Jewellers say they have already had orders for copies of Miss Middleton's engagement ring

I still have my authentic knock-off Princess Diana engagement ring somewhere in one of my old jewelry boxes.  I should wear it for old time's sake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 3:50 pm

I still have my authentic knock-off Princess Diana engagement ring somewhere in one of my old jewelry boxes.  I should wear it for old time's sake.
Put it on eBay!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 3:53 pm

You're joking aren't you? The Americans don't let you off that easily!  ::) ;)

...and the government has been losing money elsewhere since.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/17/10 at 4:03 pm

Maybe they could kill two birds with one stone and have the wedding in one of he Olympic buildings?  Nah, probably not.  Too practical.  ;D
With the wedding planned for next year and the London Olympics for 2012, the builders crack on with the job.

Written By: Paul on 11/17/10 at 4:24 pm

With the wedding planned for next year and the London Olympics for 2012, the builders crack on with the job.

...and London's fragile transport system finally cracks!  ::)

Bob Crow and his team of clowns are currently awaiting the wedding date so they can strike that day...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/10 at 4:57 pm

Where did the Windsors get their money...from the Royal Money Tree?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/17/10 at 7:47 pm

Him giving her that ring is kinda creepy if you ask me.

The guy who gave that ring to his Mum, F-ed around on her and whined on to Camilla Home-Wrecker that "I want to be your tampon."  8-P

My view, I'd see that ring as a souvenir of a promise flagrantly broken...  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/17/10 at 11:13 pm

Him giving her that ring is kinda creepy if you ask me.

The guy who gave that ring to his Mum, F-ed around on her and whined on to Camilla Home-Wrecker that "I want to be your tampon."  8-P

My view, I'd see that ring as a souvenir of a promise flagrantly broken...  :-\\

Good thing Q.E. II is of stout heart and hale health, or we might have had Charles III!
:o

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/10 at 2:11 am

Where did the Windsors get their money...from the Royal Money Tree?
???
...us!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/10 at 2:11 am

Good thing Q.E. II is of stout heart and hale health, or we might have had Charles III!
She is making Charles play the waiting game.

Written By: Frank on 11/18/10 at 2:20 am

Great news, it's been the number 1 news item here the past two days.
Hope everything goes smoothly and Harry doesn't wear that Nazi shirt during the wedding  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/10 at 2:23 am

Great news, it's been the number 1 news item here the past two days.
Hope everything goes smoothly and Harry doesn't wear that Nazi shirt during the wedding  :D
It is Granddad he will have to worry about!

Written By: karen on 11/18/10 at 2:38 am

That's what I thought!

Written By: Paul on 11/18/10 at 6:53 am

Here's a thing most people don't know...in Scotland, she's technically known as Elizabeth I, as the previous one wasn't recognised by them!

Stout health? Having the best doctors at your beck and call certainly helps!  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/10 at 2:38 pm

Here's a thing most people don't know...in Scotland, she's technically known as Elizabeth I, as the previous one wasn't recognised by them!

Stout health? Having the best doctors at your beck and call certainly helps!  ::)
...and Catherine has a Tudor ring to her name?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/18/10 at 3:02 pm

It looks like the UK will have an extra Bank Holiday for this wedding.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/10 at 3:08 pm

She is making Charles play the waiting game.

I heard the scheme was to skip Charles and hand the scepter to William.  Does primogenitor still apply?  I suppose Charles could contest it...but, you know, let's not make a fuss, dear!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_king.gif

Then in Scotland Charles would have to be Charles I, right?  The union wasn't finalized until 1707.  I'd rather be Charles III than Charles I.  If I was Charles I, I'd be very nervous around guys named Oliver!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

There seems to be a perpetual Scottish independence movement, but it doesn't get very far because an independent Scotland would be a dreary place indeed!

Written By: Paul on 11/18/10 at 4:59 pm

Then in Scotland Charles would have to be Charles I, right?  The union wasn't finalized until 1707.  I'd rather be Charles III than Charles I.  If I was Charles I, I'd be very nervous around guys named Oliver!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Right in principle, but a little late...our acts of Union were indeed in 1707, but the crowns became 'unified' about 100 years earlier...

The guy who became the first 'unified' King of Britain was James, the son of Mary, Queen of Scots (sister of Liz I, who bore no heir)...

(Confusingly, he was known as James I in England and James VI in Scotland...so something had to be simplified!)

Charles I and II were his son and grandson, so they would have been known by those titles everywhere...

(Had he not had his backside kicked at Culloden, Bonnie Prince Charlie (he of the Skye Boat Song fame) would have laid claim to be Charles III...instead, we'll get a guy who talks to plants...oh well!)

There seems to be a perpetual Scottish independence movement, but it doesn't get very far because an independent Scotland would be a dreary place indeed!

These 'independence' folk make me laugh...they profess to 'hate' big, bad England, but won't say no to our cash (strangely!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/18/10 at 11:38 pm

Right in principle, but a little late...our acts of Union were indeed in 1707, but the crowns became 'unified' about 100 years earlier...

The guy who became the first 'unified' King of Britain was James, the son of Mary, Queen of Scots (sister of Liz I, who bore no heir)...

(Confusingly, he was known as James I in England and James VI in Scotland...so something had to be simplified!)

Charles I and II were his son and grandson, so they would have been known by those titles everywhere...

(Had he not had his backside kicked at Culloden, Bonnie Prince Charlie (he of the Skye Boat Song fame) would have laid claim to be Charles III...instead, we'll get a guy who talks to plants...oh well!)

Aye, thanks for clearing that up for me.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/queen.gif

These 'independence' folk make me laugh...they profess to 'hate' big, bad England, but won't say no to our cash (strangely!)

I had a great time in Scotland.  The beer was so good and the folks were so nice you forgot about the miserable weather and the awful food! 

It's the same with the Québécois independence fervor.  If they got what they think they want, they'd miss Ottawa in an hour! 

Here in the States we've got sundry independence campaigns, such as the Texas Secession Movement, which not even Texans take seriously!  There's also the Alaskan Secession rabble, which I didn't even know existed until I heard Sarah Palin's hubby was in it! 

Maybe the Scots would be happy with Commonwealth status, like Canada and Australia have.
???

Written By: Frank on 11/19/10 at 12:43 am

It's the same with the Québécois independence fervor.  If they got what they think they want, they'd miss Ottawa in an hour! 

Very true. Quebec is the sqeaky wheel that pushes the envelope just far enough to get what they want.  If they do get independence ( which I doubt), they will miss the rest of Canada and vice versa.
The logistics are too complicated anyways.  What % of the national debt do they get? They'd also need to create a new currency.  Set up border checks. To travel (by car/train) from Ontario west and get to the maritimes, we'd have to cross through Quebec or go through NY state, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. The whole thing is quite insane.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/10 at 12:13 pm

Sorry, but you are wrong about Liz I & Mary: Queen of Scots being sisters. They were in fact cousins. Liz was sister to Mary Tudor (AKA Bloody Mary.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/10 at 12:20 pm

Sorry, but you are wrong about Liz I & Mary: Queen of Scots being sisters. They were in fact cousins. Liz was sister to Mary Tudor (AKA Bloody Mary.)

Cat
Liz was half-sister to Mary Tudor (AKA Bloody Mary.)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/10 at 1:40 pm

Liz was half-sister to Mary Tudor (AKA Bloody Mary.)

I knew that. Mary's mother was Catherine of Aragon while Liz's mother was Anne Boleyn. Edward's mother was Jane Seymour.

BTW, for those of you who do not know, all monarchs listed above (Mary, Liz, & Edward) were the kids of Henry VIII. 

Not bad for a Yank, huh?  ;)

I'm Henry the eighth I am
Henry the eighth I am, I am
I got married to the widow next door
She's been married seven times before
And every one was an Henry (Henry)
She wouldn't have a Willy or a Sam (no Sam)
I'm her eighth old man, I'm Henry
Henry the eighth I am

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/10 at 5:13 pm

I knew that. Mary's mother was Catherine of Aragon while Liz's mother was Anne Boleyn. Edward's mother was Jane Seymour.

BTW, for those of you who do not know, all monarchs listed above (Mary, Liz, & Edward) were the kids of Henry VIII. 

Not bad for a Yank, huh?  ;)

I like a yank now and again myself!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Written By: Frank on 11/19/10 at 5:45 pm

I read that all of England gets a bank holiday on the day of the wedding.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/19/10 at 5:46 pm

I read that all of England gets a bank holiday on the day of the wedding.
A day I will be looking forward to.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/10 at 6:54 pm

I like a yank now and again myself!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Then go through airport security.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/19/10 at 6:56 pm

Then go through airport security.

Cat

I said a yank, not a probe!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/19/10 at 6:59 pm

I said a yank, not a probe!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Frank on 11/19/10 at 7:47 pm

A day I will be looking forward to.

What if the wedding is on a weekend?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 1:34 am

What if the wedding is on a weekend?
Then it will not be held on a bank holiday.

"A bank holiday is a public holiday in both the United Kingdom and Ireland. There is no automatic right to time off on these days, although the majority of the population not employed in essential services (e.g. utilities, fire, ambulance, police, health-care, public transport workers) receive them as holidays; those employed in essential services usually receive extra pay for working on these days. The first official bank holidays were the four days named in the Bank Holidays Act 1871, but today the term is colloquially used for public holidays which are not officially bank holidays, for example Good Friday and Christmas Day."

Written By: Frank on 11/20/10 at 1:36 am

In a related topic, I watched a special on Prince Charles tonight, and when asked if one day Camilla might be Queen, he replied "Couldl be"...or something like that.
I'm sure it's in all the papers in the U.K.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 1:38 am

In a related topic, I watched a special on Prince Charles tonight, and when asked if one day Camilla might be Queen, he replied "Couldl be"...or something like that.
I'm sure it's in all the papers in the U.K.
She cannot be Queen for Charles will be King, Camilla will (or should be Princess Camilla) like Prince Philip is Prince these days.

Written By: Frank on 11/20/10 at 1:40 am

She cannot be Queen for Charles will be King, Camilla will (or should be Princess Camilla) like Prince Philip is Prince these days.

Is Prince Charles in trouble for making such a comment?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 1:41 am

I hope so. For he should know better.

Written By: Frank on 11/20/10 at 1:48 am

I hope so. For he should know better.

Agreed.
During that interview, at first he wasn't comfortable with the questions and was just looking for anything to say and ...perhaps said the wrong thing.

They also showed clips of Prince Charles crowned as Prince of Wales, back in 1969. I saw that as a kid. I remember it well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 2:18 am

Agreed.
During that interview, at first he wasn't comfortable with the questions and was just looking for anything to say and ...perhaps said the wrong thing.

They also showed clips of Prince Charles crowned as Prince of Wales, back in 1969. I saw that as a kid. I remember it well.
His mother should know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 2:55 am

For the record, it was on this day (November 20th) in 1947 that The Princess Elizabeth married Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten at Westminster Abbey in London.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 3:05 am

Also for the record, it was on this day (November 20th) in 1992 that in England, a fire breaks out in Windsor Castle, badly damaging the castle and causing over £50 million worth of damage.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/18/article-0-0255441D00000578-549_308x222.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/20/10 at 6:17 am

I read an article that times are finally changing for royalty as pertaining to looser "guidelines" to choosing marriageable mates.  Since William and Kate shared an apartment (with some other college chums.)  Much different then when Charles and Diana were first engaged and it was with great pride that her uncle proclaimed Diana to still be a virgin.  ???  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10323/1104435-51.stm

I think even with Charles' second marriage there wasn't as much of an outcry and he should still be in succession to the throne, even though he married a divorcee and they presumably had affairs whilst both were still married to other partners.  Times they are a-changin.  Poor Edward (I think that was his name) who gave up being king to marry the American divorce'!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/10 at 6:28 am

I read an article that times are finally changing for royalty as pertaining to looser "guidelines" to choosing marriageable mates.  Since William and Kate shared an apartment (with some other college chums.)  Much different then when Charles and Diana were first engaged and it was with great pride that her uncle proclaimed Diana to still be a virgin.   ???  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10323/1104435-51.stm

I think even with Charles' second marriage there wasn't as much of an outcry and he should still be in succession to the throne, even though he married a divorcee and they presumably had affairs whilst both were still married to other partners.  Times they are a-changin.  Poor Edward (I think that was his name) who gave up being king to marry the American divorce'!

Don't feel too bad for Edward, and that divorcee of his wasn't any bargain. He was useless and she was a, well I am not exactly sure, but they deserved each other and the British didn't deserve either one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 6:44 am

Breaking news:

With Kate Middleton changing her first name back to Catherine, the initials on the commemorative souvenir for the couple for the royal wedding will be W.C.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/20/10 at 6:55 am

Don't feel too bad for Edward, and that divorcee of his wasn't any bargain. He was useless and she was a, well I am not exactly sure, but they deserved each other and the British didn't deserve either one.

I haven't really read much about Edward and his Mrs.  :-[

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 8:03 am

For the record, it was on this day (November 20th) in 1995 that Princess Di admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/10 at 10:02 am

I haven't really read much about Edward and his Mrs.  :-

In the old way of ranking things reigning Kings could have Queens, but reigning Queens did not have Kings because a King outranks a Queen.  That is why Prince Philip stayed a prince, but Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, was Queen Elizabeth, then the dowager Queen.  So one day Kate will be Queen Catherine.  The issue of Camilla being queen is more of a political decision.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 10:11 am

The issue of Camilla being queen is more of a political decision.
Let the nation decide!

Written By: Dagwood on 11/20/10 at 11:44 am

I hope the broadcast it.  William has always seemed to be such a well raised young man, it would be fun to watch the ceremony. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/10 at 12:10 pm

What are they going to do, wall him up in the Tower of London?
;D

Always seemed to me Charles inherited too many of his dad's traits. 

Maybe he doesn't want to be king anyway.  It's more work and less fun.  You have to go around officiating this, that, and the other thing, and you don't get to set actual policy...so where's the appeal?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/20/10 at 1:23 pm

I always thought when Prince William was born, Charles & Diana should have named him Up so when they went out, everyone could say, "Look! There's Up, Chuck, & Di."

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 11/20/10 at 1:29 pm

I always thought when Prince William was born, Charles & Diana should have named him Up so when they went out, everyone could say, "Look! There's Up, Chuck, & Di."

Cat

;D  Karma

Written By: danootaandme on 11/20/10 at 5:19 pm

I hope the broadcast it.  William has always seemed to be such a well raised young man, it would be fun to watch the ceremony. 

It will definitely be televised, just as the wedding of Chuck and Di, and the funeral of Di. The best we can hope for is that it doesn't go on and on and on...but then it has already.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/10 at 1:18 pm

Prince William and Kate Middleton will marry on Friday 29th April at Westminster Abbey.

Subject: Re: Royal wedding April 29th: William and Kate start planning

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/10 at 6:52 pm

I remember when Prince Billy was born!
:)

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/10 at 12:19 am

....April 29th is the Christian Feast Day for St. Catherine of Siena. Kate Middleton will be married on her namesake Saint Day.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/27/10 at 8:12 am

How strange that they picked Westminster Abbey to have their wedding... That's where they held Princess Di's funeral service in 1997.  Although I guess that's where Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen Mum had their weddings but still... I guess they want to involve Diana's memory as much as they can for the service.  I wonder if she'd have liked Kate?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/27/10 at 8:15 am

How strange that they picked Westminster Abbey to have their wedding... That's where they held Princess Di's funeral service in 1997.  Although I guess that's where Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen Mum had their weddings but still... I guess they want to involve Diana's memory as much as they can for the service.  I wonder if she'd have liked Kate?
Possibly because Westminster Abbey is cheaper than St Paul's Cathedral in the wedding fees?

Check for new replies or respond here...