» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Pope Benedict condones condom use in some cases - book

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/20/10 at 3:11 pm

Pope Benedict XVI has said the use of condoms is acceptable "in certain cases", according to a new book.

He said condoms could reduce the risk of infection with HIV, such as for a prostitute, in a series of interviews he gave to a German journalist.

The Vatican newspaper ran excerpts on Saturday.

The comments appear to soften the Roman Catholic Church's hardline stance, which until now had banned the use of any form of contraception.

When asked whether the Catholic Church is "fundamentally against the use of condoms", the Pope is said to have replied, in the book entitled Light of the World: The Pope, the Church and the Signs of the Times:

"It of course does not see it as a real and moral solution.

"In certain cases, where the intention is to reduce the risk of infection, it can nevertheless be a first step on the way to another, more humane sexuality," he said.

The Pope gives the example of the use of condoms by prostitutes as "a first step towards moralisation", even though condoms are "not really the way to deal with the evil of HIV infection".

The pope says that the "sheer fixation on the condom implies a banalisation of sexuality" where sexuality is no longer an expression of love, "but only a sort of drug that people administer to themselves".

The Church's hardline stance over contraception has led the Vatican to being heavily criticised for its position in the context of the Aids crisis.

On a visit to Cameroon last year, the Pope said the use of condoms could endanger public health and increase the problem of HIV/Aids, rather than help to contain the virus. This drew criticism from several EU states.

Campaigners say condoms are one of the few methods proven to stop the spread of HIV.

The book is due to be published on Tuesday.

Subject: Re: Pope Benedict condones condom use in some cases - book

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/20/10 at 5:26 pm

Actually I believe his comments were in reference to MALE prostitutes, in which case the condoom is not interfering with procreation.

Most specifically I believe he was referring to male-on-male prostitution and not male gigolos who service female Janes. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/20/10 at 10:58 pm

Pope said "banalization of sexuality" with a "b." 

It's a step in the right direction at least.  The Catholic Church has not been willing to reconcile "sex as an expression of love" with the biological consequences of the sex act, which for the unfallen creature, absent free will, is an instinctual drive for reproduction. 

Human beings have free will, so the Church believes we must use our free will to overcome temptation.  Unfortunately the a posteriori evidence demonstrates people reeeeally love to screw!  Perhaps in the 21st century it is time to accept the sex drive for what it is.

If the Church will allow for contraception, masturbation, and homosexuality, there will be less sexually transmitted disease...and less abortion, which the Church determined is one of the greatest abominations.  Even Mother Theresa held steadfast that it was better for women to have children even if the children faced starvation than for people to use contraception or the A-word.  This ideal is neither workable nor reasonable.

I don't think "free love" works either.  I see covetousness, envy, jealousy, and frustration too often the bitter result of the peaceable and equitable intention of "free love."  If "free love" worked, soap operas would have lost their allure much sooner.

I would like to see the Church speak much more forcefully against the unequivocal evils of war and greed and become less condemning of sex for pleasure and joy.  More caution less judgment.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/10 at 7:54 am

I would like to see the Church speak much more forcefully against the unequivocal evils of war and greed and become less condemning of sex for pleasure and joy.  More caution less judgment.

Oh I don't think the Church has any problem with people getting it together to get their jollies.  It just expects for people to accept the consequences too.  Which includes the obligatory next-day phone call.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/10 at 2:08 am

Oh I don't think the Church has any problem with people getting it together to get their jollies.  It just expects for people to accept the consequences too.  Which includes the obligatory next-day phone call.

The Church has been duplicitous about it.  A "nice" girl doesn't carry a rubber in her purse because a "nice" girl wants to be "nice."  But if she decides not to be "nice," she can still go to confession without stopping at the herpes clinic and the obstetrician on the way!  IF she carries a rubber...but if she carries a rubber, she's already sinning....

As the late great George Carlin said, "You hafta wanna!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad11.gif

'Cause that's what they taught us; it's what's in your mind that counts; your intentions, that's how we'll judge you. What you want to do. Mortal sin had to be a grievous offense, sufficient reflection and full consent of the will. Ya had'ta WANNA! In fact, WANNA was a sin all by itself. "Thou Shalt Not WANNA". If you woke up in the morning and said, "I'm going down to 42nd street and commit a mortal sin!" Save your car fare; you did it, man! Absolutely!

It was a sin for you to wanna feel up Ellen. It was a sin for you to plan to feel up Ellen. It was a sin for you to figure out a place to feel up Ellen. It was a sin to take Ellen to the place to feel her up. It was a sin to try to feel her up and it was a sin to feel her up. There were six sins in one feel, man!

-- Uncle George
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smokin.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/22/10 at 6:47 am

The Church has been duplicitous about it.  A "nice" girl doesn't carry a rubber in her purse because a "nice" girl wants to be "nice."  But if she decides not to be "nice," she can still go to confession without stopping at the herpes clinic and the obstetrician on the way!  IF she carries a rubber...but if she carries a rubber, she's already sinning....

The church has no prohibition against possession of condooms, only against usage.  Kinda like Indiana and fireworks, where it is not illegal to buy or sell 'em, just illegal to use 'em.

There's no probloem using condooms as water balloons, for example.

Written By: philbo on 11/22/10 at 11:49 am

The pope says that the "sheer fixation on the condom implies a banalisation of sexuality" where sexuality is no longer an expression of love, "but only a sort of drug that people administer to themselves".

There speaks someone who's been celibate for the last few decades.

It really beggars belief that so much credence is given to the guy, really.  But at least it is a step in the right direction - I am wondering whether to pay a visit back to a Catholic website I had a bit of a barney in a year or two (or three?) ago, arguing that the Pope's stance was helping to spread AIDS & other diseases.. wonder if a postscript "told you so" would go down well?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/10 at 8:11 pm

There speaks someone who's been celibate for the last few decades.

It really beggars belief that so much credence is given to the guy, really.  But at least it is a step in the right direction - I am wondering whether to pay a visit back to a Catholic website I had a bit of a barney in a year or two (or three?) ago, arguing that the Pope's stance was helping to spread AIDS & other diseases.. wonder if a postscript "told you so" would go down well?

It's not how it goes down well it's how well you go down!
:-*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/23/10 at 11:10 am

The church has no prohibition against possession of condooms, only against usage.  Kinda like Indiana and fireworks, where it is not illegal to buy or sell 'em, just illegal to use 'em.

There's no probloem using condooms as water balloons, for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8

So it's scientific experiments for the lot of you!

And with that, I'm off to noon Mass.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/icon_biggrin.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...