» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: The Pope vs the Internet

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/21/10 at 5:44 pm

“A large number of young people...establish forms of communication that do not increase humaneness but instead risk increasing a sense of solitude and disorientation.”

Thus Spake Pope Benny XVI

http://www.bworldonline.com/main/content.php?id=21228

Subject: Re: The Pope vs the Internet

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/21/10 at 6:46 pm

“A large number of young people...establish forms of communication that do not increase humaneness but instead risk increasing a sense of solitude and disorientation.”

Thus Spake Pope Benny XVI

http://www.bworldonline.com/main/content.php?id=21228

He has made a good observation.  Anymore, I see more and more people out with their families, and instead of talking to each other, they are all on their blackberrys or iPhones surfing the web, tweeting, or (I suppose) posting at www.InThe00s.com  :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/21/10 at 7:00 pm

He has made a good observation.  Anymore, I see more and more people out with their families, and instead of talking to each other, they are all on their blackberrys or iPhones surfing the web, tweeting, or (I suppose) posting at www.InThe00s.com  :-\\

(+1 karma)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/10 at 1:47 am

I agree with my German Shepherd on this one.
;)

Social media also makes it easier for aggressive cowards to be mean to you without "saying it to your face."

I remember a certain nasty woman I was involved with called me on my cell phone from her cell phone so she could call me a shiftless, dirty sonofawhore.  You know where she was?  She was DOWNSTAIRS!  You got something to say, sugs, come up and say it.  You know I'm not aggressive.  I don't even return fire most of the time!  She was just too chickenshirt to look me in the eye and say those wicked words!
;D

I do have one caveat.  These electronic gadgets increase the number of ways we can stay isolated in a crowd, but those who wanted to isolate themselves always found a way.  My dad used to read frikkin' Newsweek at the dinner table if he was mad at my mom or us kids, which was most of the time!

It also depends on how you use the Internet.  You can discuss issues with interesting people from around the world on fine message boards like this one, or you can play violent video games all night.

http://www.philoscifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/make-love-not-warcraft.jpg?w=780

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/22/10 at 5:49 pm

I agree with my German Shepherd on this one.
;)

Social media also makes it easier for aggressive cowards to be mean to you without "saying it to your face."

I remember a certain nasty woman I was involved with called me on my cell phone from her cell phone so she could call me a shiftless, dirty sonofawhore.  You know where she was?  She was DOWNSTAIRS!  You got something to say, sugs, come up and say it.  You know I'm not aggressive.  I don't even return fire most of the time!  She was just too chickenshirt to look me in the eye and say those wicked words!
;D

I do have one caveat.  These electronic gadgets increase the number of ways we can stay isolated in a crowd, but those who wanted to isolate themselves always found a way.  My dad used to read frikkin' Newsweek at the dinner table if he was mad at my mom or us kids, which was most of the time!

It also depends on how you use the Internet.  You can discuss issues with interesting people from around the world on fine message boards like this one, or you can play violent video games all night.

http://www.philoscifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/make-love-not-warcraft.jpg?w=780

Karma for the picture of He Who Has No Life.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/22/10 at 8:09 pm

I am not he, but he is familiar!
8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/24/10 at 12:02 am

I am not he, but he is familiar!
8)

And I don't even own a webcam!

Check for new replies or respond here...