» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Comcast wants more money from Netflix's network provider - Net Neutrality

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/10 at 10:38 am

Netflix Partner Level 3 Says Comcast Fees “Threatens the Open Internet”

Comcast is claiming that because Level 3 is sending so much traffic their way thanks to Netflix, they should have to pay more for their traffic. Simple peering disagreement or is it an attempt to drive up the costs of a service competing with Comcast "Video on Demand"?

Subject: Re: Comcast wants more money from Netflix's network provider - Net Neutrality

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/10 at 11:22 am

Those who developed the Internet for the everyday person made one key mistake regarding corporations: They trusted them. 
Once you let for-profit interests into your medium, those who have the most money will grant themselves preferential treatment.  That's the way it works in the rest of the media.  So Internet providers handed control of the Internet to for-profit corporations and now for-profit corporations -- who also control the legislative process -- are going to kill net neutrality. 

Either way, millions of people downloading millions of two-hour movies for $8 a month is not going to be sustainable.  It was fun while it lasted.

Subject: Re: Comcast wants more money from Netflix's network provider - Net Neutrality

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/10 at 6:55 pm

I think that as long as KongKast establishes a "high bandwidth fee" for ANY super-high-bandwidth hog, I'm fine with it.  That way there is no discrimination against competing services.

Now that said, in any service area in which two or more high-bandwidth providers exist (say KongKast and Tivo), net neutrality should be thrown out the door.  Net neutrality only makes sense to me where a provider is a regulated monopoly, in which case the monopoly status is something granted by the government and which, in return, regulation such as net neutrality can be reasonably expected.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 12:43 am

Without net neutrality, I guarantee the FOX News site will load in 0.1 seconds while Democracy Now! will load in 60 seconds, if it doesn't time out altogether

In the absence of net neutrality, you'll be enticed to view what the powers that be want you to view because everything else will be too damn slow!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...