» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Dating for Dinner

Written By: KKay on 11/30/10 at 3:38 pm

I think Miss Brahms was ahead of her time.  In Are You Being Served, she outlines her plan to spend money on clothes so boys will ask her out, so she can have a nice dinner.  She can't afford to buy food to fix at home, so she has to look sexy to eat.

I am beginning to think she has something there.  I love cooking.  Love it.  BUT if I bought new clothes and got my hair done with the money instead, would I be out eating steak instead of tuna casserole?

In Three Penny Opera, Mack the Knife and friends tell us that "honest folk act like sinners when they've not had their customary dinners"  and "first, feed the face, and then talk right and wrong".

When everyone is unemployed, how bad is it to shift your morals for food...just a little?  A whole culture of dating was founded on it!

Mrs. Betty Slocombe: You know, you really should try to make your money last out the week, Miss Brahms.
Miss Shirley Brahms: I can't even make it last the weekend.
Mrs. Betty Slocombe: What do you spend it on?
Miss Shirley Brahms: Clothes.
Mrs. Betty Slocombe: Clothes?
Miss Shirley Brahms: Yes, clothes. So the boys will ask me out to dinner.
Mrs. Betty Slocombe: Yes, but if you didn't spend it on clothes, you could stay at home and, and cook something for yourself.
Miss Shirley Brahms: Oh, I can't afford to buy food for meself. It's too expensive.
Mrs. Betty Slocombe: Yes, but you could afford it if you didn't spend your money on clothes.
Miss Shirley Brahms: Yes, well if I spent my money on food, I couldn't afford to spend it on the clothes, so the boys would ask me out to dinner.

Subject: Re: Dating for Dinner

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/01/10 at 1:32 am

When everyone is unemployed, how bad is it to shift your morals for food...just a little?  A whole culture of dating was founded on it!

Mrs. Betty Slocombe: You know, you really should try to make your money last out the week, Miss Brahms.
Miss Shirley Brahms: I can't even make it last the w-
Surely I'm happy for you, and I know Are You Being Served was great, and I'mma let you finish, but Kanye West had one of the best songs about this of all time.  OF ALL TIME!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 2:18 am

Churchill: Would you sleep with me for a million pounds?
Lady: Certainly!
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for ten pounds?
Lady: Mr. Prime Minister, what do you think I am?
Churchill: We've already established that, now we're just haggling the price.

In Victorian London 15-year-old prostitutes would sell themselves for a slice of bread and a drop of gin.
:(

Written By: KKay on 12/01/10 at 9:17 am

Churchill: Would you sleep with me for a million pounds?
Lady: Certainly!
Churchill: Would you sleep with me for ten pounds?
Lady: Mr. Prime Minister, what do you think I am?
Churchill: We've already established that, now we're just haggling the price.

In Victorian London 15-year-old prostitutes would sell themselves for a slice of bread and a drop of gin.
:(

I think it's strange there are no stories of this in the paper.
After the unemployment is cut off, we just might see it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 4:41 pm

I think it's strange there are no stories of this in the paper.
After the unemployment is cut off, we just might see it.

And that will be just fine with Mitch McConnell as long as taxes on millionaires don't go up!
::)

Written By: KKay on 12/01/10 at 10:55 pm

And that will be just fine with Mitch McConnell as long as taxes on millionaires don't go up!

I was listening to the radio news talk about the price of butter and pork and I never thought that would be so important.  Actually going through a time where you had to think
twice about buying something like that?  A lot of people are going to go through it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 11:44 pm

I was listening to the radio news talk about the price of butter and pork and I never thought that would be so important.  Actually going through a time where you had to think
twice about buying something like that?  A lot of people are going to go through it.

Our lifestyles are going to change drastically in the next twenty years.  2030 will feel more like 1930 than 1980. 

Written By: KKay on 12/02/10 at 8:27 am

Our lifestyles are going to change drastically in the next twenty years.  2030 will feel more like 1930 than 1980. 

at least those outfits don't show off your emaciated figure. 

I'm going to go forage.  Nuts and berries in 2011!

Check for new replies or respond here...