» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Incoming Republican House leader wants States Veto power

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/30/10 at 10:44 pm

Cantor Urges 'Open Mind' On VA Legislature Plan To Blow Up The Constitution

Let's give the states the power to veto anything the federal government does.  You'll need 34 states to overturn anything.  The 16 most populated states make up 68% of the population, but they'll be held hostage by the 34 states, that just happen to lean conservative.

It's the same story as the last time the Republicans seized control.  The last time they wanted to abolish the filibuster (something they used more than any other party).  This time they want to give power to "the states" in the form of an ability to overturn anything that doesn't match the rural conservative ethos.

Subject: Re: Incoming Republican House leader wants States Veto power

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/10 at 11:44 pm

The end game is to give corporations the ultimate say in what can and can't go on.  The international trade agreements allow corporations to overrule decisions of sovereign states on the grounds of violating "free trade."  The Virginia scheme in the end would allow unaccountable corporations within the state to abrogate any law or provision they deem a threat to their profits.  It is much easier for corporations to manipulate state governments than the federal government.  If Company X provides a thousand jobs in Richmond, it can threaten to leave Virginia if Virginia does not veto whatever federal law it does not like.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/sagrin.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/10 at 7:07 am

Cantor Urges 'Open Mind' On VA Legislature Plan To Blow Up The Constitution

Let's give the states the power to veto anything the federal government does.  You'll need 34 states to overturn anything.  The 16 most populated states make up 68% of the population, but they'll be held hostage by the 34 states, that just happen to lean conservative.

It's the same story as the last time the Republicans seized control.  The last time they wanted to abolish the filibuster (something they used more than any other party).  This time they want to give power to "the states" in the form of an ability to overturn anything that doesn't match the rural conservative ethos.

I am not sure where you are going on this.  The Senate is similarly constructed where each state gets two votes.  Little Rhode Island gets two votes in the Senate, same as massively-populated Kalifornia.

Contitutional amendment passage is similarly done by a 3/4 majority.  If Cantor's proposal were adjusted to the 3/4 majority (instead of 34 votes) then is would be fairly similar to the constitutional construction both for senate votes and amendments.

Now that said, Cantor's approach seems silly to me, because it assumes that the states are too stupid to vote for the right senators/congressmen, but smart enough to vote for the right refurendums.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/01/10 at 11:53 am

Nullification was proposed long ago by John C Calhoun, and didn't get very far. 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/01/10 at 11:57 am

Nullification was proposed long ago by John C Calhoun, and didn't get very far. 

I was thinking the same thing.  I think Calhoun would have had a better chance today.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/10 at 4:18 pm

Karma to Carlos and Danoota for mentioning Calhoun!
8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/02/10 at 12:37 pm

I am not sure where you are going on this.  The Senate is similarly constructed where each state gets two votes.  Little Rhode Island gets two votes in the Senate, same as massively-populated Kalifornia.

Contitutional amendment passage is similarly done by a 3/4 majority.  If Cantor's proposal were adjusted to the 3/4 majority (instead of 34 votes) then is would be fairly similar to the constitutional construction both for senate votes and amendments.

Now that said, Cantor's approach seems silly to me, because it assumes that the states are too stupid to vote for the right senators/congressmen, but smart enough to vote for the right refurendums.

because this isn't the Senate... this is state legislatures.. if you have a state with a Democract Senator but a slim majority of Republicans in the state legislature, you can overturn your Senator.

as several people have pointed out, it's "nullification" something that last reared it's ugly head back before the Civil War. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/02/10 at 9:45 pm

As Mick Jagger once said, "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/10 at 10:01 pm

As Mick Jagger once said, "You Can't Always Get What You Want".

::)

Every time the corporate greedheads get what they want, all they want is MORE...then they have the temerity to send their televangelists around to tell poor slobs like me: "Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want..."

Ayn Rand for the rich, the Bible for the poor.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/03/10 at 2:17 am

Every time the corporate greedheads get what they want, all they want is MORE...then they have the temerity to send their televangelists around to tell poor slobs like me: "Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want..."

Ayn Rand for the rich, the Bible for the poor.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

"Starve"...The GOP slogan since 1929!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/10 at 3:36 am

"Starve"...The GOP slogan since 1929!

For as much as her surgically-enhanced countenance would allow, Nancy Pelosi grinned from ear to ear as the she announced the passage of more tax cuts for the rich today.  They're all on the same team. 

John Boehner called helping anybody but the super-rich "chickensh*t."  These guys make Mussolini look like St. Francis of Assisi and they're just getting geared up!

Ave Satanas! Ave Satanas! Ave Satanas!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/saevil.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...