» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Remembering Regan

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/04/10 at 9:12 pm

http://www.kirktoons.com/june_2004/cartoons.html

Subject: Re: Remembering Regan

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/05/10 at 11:11 am

Yup, that6's our Ronnie, president jelly bean

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/10 at 1:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XECby_mT1w

http://www.maxheadroom.com/images/mh_ronheadreststrips.jpg

Subject: Re: Remembering Reagan

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/05/10 at 10:23 pm

Ah, 1985...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c51qJ3Ad_4

Yep, brought to you by the same guy who just couldn't drive 55.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/07/10 at 7:20 am

Has many people thought Reagan should be in Gitmo...or something prior to 2004?

And has anyone seen that ep of "American Dad" where Stan Smith was big on 1980 because of Team USA's Hockey Team and Reagan?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/08/10 at 2:35 am

Ah, yes, King Lear's middle daughter

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/Goneril_and_Regan_from_King_Lear.jpg

REGAN

Tis the infirmity of his age: yet he hath ever but slenderly known himself.

:D

Written By: DoRitos on 12/11/10 at 9:28 am

http://www.kirktoons.com/june_2004/cartoons.html

United States presidential election, 1984

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a4/Flag_of_the_United_States.svg/50px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png

November 6, 1984

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg/141px-Official_Portrait_of_President_Reagan_1981.jpg                                              http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a1/U.S_Vice-President_Walter_Mondale.jpg/152px-U.S_Vice-President_Walter_Mondale.jpg

Nominee

Ronald Reagan                          Walter Mondale 

Party

Republican                              Democratic

Home state           

California                                Minnesota

Running mate

George H. W. Bush                  Geraldine Ferraro

Electoral vote

525                                      13

States carried

49                                        1 + DC

Popular vote

54,455,472                          37,577,352

Percentage

58.8%                                40.6%

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/ElectoralCollege1984.svg/350px-ElectoralCollege1984.svg.png

Sorry Chucky but I did not find anything about the cartoon link you posted funny at all.  If Reagan is portrayed in such a negative light by the cartoon, please explain the stats for the 1984 election.  The only US President that did better than Reagan in an election was George Washington who ran virtually unchallenged for two terms.  If he were doing such a bad job would he have beaten Modale so handily?  Reagan beat Fritz Mondale like a red headed step child and you must give Reagan credit for his systematic dismantling of the former Soviet Union and bringing the cold war to an end. 

I think FDR should be kicked off the dime and Replaced by Reagan's likeness.  Reagan made it honorable again for the US military.  I was spat upon in uniform in San Francisco International Airport in the early 70's by war protesters.  I was not in favor of that war and I joined the military to avoid getting drafted.  During Reagan's term those in uniform regained the respect that they have and had earned. Reagan never entered the Oval Office unless he was fully decked out in a suit and tie. 

Slick Willy defiled that room. Hill and Billy despised the military and I thank God that I was out just before Willy took office. I've seen him return salutes to the USAF Chief Master Sergeant that stands on the tarmac when he departed Air Force One using his left hand to do so.  That is insulting to the professional military person. It's about respect.  Ever notice that Reagan seldom spoke in the first person singular?  He always started with "We" - first person plural.  All that is heard from the current administration is "I want" "I this and I that".  I I I! 

So, if I missed the point of your post then I am sorry for that, but I feel I must defend that man's image when he did so much for the image of the U.S. He undid the contempt for the Vietnam War amd blew away all the negativity that the Carter administration laid upon us all.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/11/10 at 10:40 am

I was watching "Family Ties" and Alex Keaton was teaching his brother about Reagan and his dad comes by and says "Don't scare the kid"!

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/11/10 at 11:20 am

It's really depressing to watch your country take the Tea Party Express full force back to 1880.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/11/10 at 3:25 pm

It's really depressing to watch your country take the Tea Party Express full force back to 1880.

1880?  You mean the time period just as the Marxist like progressives got their upstart?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/11/10 at 3:34 pm

1880?  You mean the time period just as the Marxist like progressives got their upstart?

I know, things were SOOO much better than.
"Marxist Progressives" go get another goddamn talking point from old Glenny boy.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/11/10 at 4:24 pm

You assume much my friend.  How all of a sudden did you ever get the idea that my observations come from "Glenny Boy".  I assume you are referring to Glenn Beck?  What even makes you think that I watch him let alone would follow him or anyone else blindly?  You are being unfair and inaccurate.  Give me some credit for forming my own convictions by watching all three network news shows one per day and then a hit of MS NBC and a look at Fox.  This gives me a more accurate picture of who is spinning and who is not.  Also give me enough respect to realize that I just may know something about history.  I feel a distinct attack on my intelligence.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/11/10 at 5:13 pm

You assume much my friend.  How all of a sudden did you ever get the idea that my observations come from "Glenny Boy".  I assume you are referring to Glenn Beck?  What even makes you think that I watch him let alone would follow him or anyone else blindly?  You are being unfair and inaccurate.  Give me some credit for forming my own convictions by watching all three network news shows one per day and then a hit of MS NBC and a look at Fox.  This gives me a more accurate picture of who is spinning and who is not.  Also give me enough respect to realize that I just may know something about history.  I feel a distinct attack on my intelligence.

I can't someone seriously who thinks the last hundred years haven't been a time of great achievement and advancement in America, largely done by the Progressives you so loathe.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/11/10 at 5:26 pm

I can't someone seriously who thinks the last hundred years haven't been a time of great achievement and advancement in America, largely done by the Progressives you so loathe.

OK - Say goodnight Rhett.  Remember when argueing with a "testa duro" make sure the other arguer is not doing the same thing.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/12/10 at 12:02 pm

Doritos, re your initial observations, although somewhat over blown, your make valid points, but by the same token, everything inn that cartoon is also accurate.  Reagan did do all those things (or his handlers did - IMHO he was not really all there even while in office), so its a question of emphasis

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/12/10 at 12:08 pm

Reagan did do all those things (or his handlers did - IMHO he was not really all there even while in office), so its a question of emphasis

Carlos...

You DO make a good point there, most of the Cabinet has handled the last few Administrations. Why do you think I put down the Bush Administration? Guys like Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, and Cheney have that Neo-Con state of mind! And those guys worked for the Nixon Administration!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/10 at 10:43 am

Carlos...

You DO make a good point there, most of the Cabinet has handled the last few Administrations. Why do you think I put down the Bush Administration? Guys like Ashcroft, Rumsfeld, and Cheney have that Neo-Con state of mind! And those guys worked for the Nixon Administration!

Nixon was a little better at keeping a lid on the wingnuts than subsequent presidents.  Our standards have been systematically lowered by infotaintment and the Christian Right.  James Watt, Reagan's first Secretary of Interior, resigned over public pressure when he two things happened:
1. Jesus is coming back to avenge the righteous and destroy the world, so who cares about the ecology.
2  He and his administrator Anne Gorsuch Burford (R.I.P.) were found to be in the pockets of big business.

Watt and Burford both resigned in 1983 facing multiple corruption charges. 

Today we consider it normal for regulatory agencies to be stuffed with those who lobby against regulations and Holy Rollers howling "Praise God and pass the ammunition."

Reagan jumped the gun a bit, that's all.
::)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/13/10 at 3:58 pm

Reagan was a scumbag. So are his political heirs.

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/13/10 at 5:09 pm

Nixon was a little better at keeping a lid on the wingnuts than subsequent presidents.  Our standards have been systematically lowered by infotaintment and the Christian Right.  James Watt, Reagan's first Secretary of Interior, resigned over public pressure when he two things happened:
1. Jesus is coming back to avenge the righteous and destroy the world, so who cares about the ecology.
2  He and his administrator Anne Gorsuch Burford (R.I.P.) were found to be in the pockets of big business.

Watt and Burford both resigned in 1983 facing multiple corruption charges. 

Today we consider it normal for regulatory agencies to be stuffed with those who lobby against regulations and Holy Rollers howling "Praise God and pass the ammunition."

Reagan jumped the gun a bit, that's all.
::)

IMO...the problem with Bush's Administration was...Bush couldn't keep the damn lid on his Cabinet...especially Dick Cheney!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/13/10 at 10:31 pm

I agree.
8)

Written By: DoRitos on 12/14/10 at 4:29 pm

If Reagan were a scumbag then we need to invent a new word for Obama because there is none that could out-do scumbag when you look for a ratio comparison. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/16/10 at 10:39 am

If Reagan were a scumbag then we need to invent a new word for Obama because there is none that could out-do scumbag when you look for a ratio comparison. 

IMHO all this name calling is juvenile, silly, and counterproductive

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/10 at 10:49 pm

IMHO all this name calling is juvenile, silly, and counterproductive

SO IS USING BIG BLUE WORDS!

Written By: DoRitos on 12/16/10 at 11:19 pm

SO IS USING BIG BLUE WORDS!

Sorry Mr. Smart but I've explained this before.  Check with Foo Bar if you need a ref. My eyesight is very poor and unless I'm able to have larger print I cannot see my typos and mistakes in preview mode. I have trouble reading the small print that you all use but I have learned to adapt. I use blue because it is a soothing color.  I am not insensitive.  So live with it or get over it.  I hope you never get bad eyesight.  And as far as what Don Carlos has said I didn't start with the name calling, I believe that was you Mr. Smart.  I found seven typos and mistakes on this post that I would have never seen if I didn't use large print.  At least I don't use all caps.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/17/10 at 10:43 am

Sorry Mr. Smart but I've explained this before.  Check with Foo Bar if you need a ref. My eyesight is very poor and unless I'm able to have larger print I cannot see my typos and mistakes in preview mode. I have trouble reading the small print that you all use but I have learned to adapt. I use blue because it is a soothing color.  I am not insensitive.  So live with it or get over it.  I hope you never get bad eyesight.  And as far as what Don Carlos has said I didn't start with the name calling, I believe that was you Mr. Smart.  I found seven typos and mistakes on this post that I would have never seen if I didn't use large print.  At least I don't use all caps.

I understand.  I am sorry for being insensitive. 

Written By: DoRitos on 12/17/10 at 6:51 pm

I understand.  I am sorry for being insensitive. 

No problem you had no way to know - blow it of Max I did.  :)

Written By: Zeb on 12/17/10 at 9:47 pm

Here you go! I'm gonna make a lot of you feel really old :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTZb-rqhj4

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/10 at 12:48 pm

Here you go! I'm gonna make a lot of you feel really old :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkTZb-rqhj4

I remember that.

Cat

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/18/10 at 2:45 pm

How've you been, Catwoman?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/18/10 at 3:09 pm

How've you been, Catwoman?

Just peachy. And you?

Cat

Written By: Zeb on 12/18/10 at 6:51 pm

Genesis really took him to task with their "Land of Confusion" video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZtWABLuWHo

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/10 at 12:01 pm

Genesis really took him to task with their "Land of Confusion" video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZtWABLuWHo

I absolutely LOVE that song. If you just listen to the lyrics (without imagining Reagan), the song still rings true today.

Cat

Written By: Creeder on 12/20/10 at 4:23 pm

Reagan was the best president ever!
My hero! What a man! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 6:30 pm

"America's wonderful...
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful
wonderful...
Oh it really makes it!"

--Frank Zappa

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/21/10 at 2:29 am

FDR. Teddy Roosevelt. Harry S. Truman. All much better candidates for best president ever.

Written By: DoRitos on 12/24/10 at 10:54 pm

Reagan was the 2nd greatest.  George Washington is a hard act to follow. The military was spat upon until Reagan took office.  He made the profession honorable again.  He systematically dismantled the former Soviet Union by bankrupting them and brought a quick end to the cold war which I fought in from 1970 to around 1988 when the former Soviet Union fell.  Let's either kick FDR off the dime and put Reagan on or kick Hamilton off the ten dollar bill and replace Reagan's likeness on that bill.  He did so many great things.  No president before or since has been a better communicator than he was.  He is my favorite president.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/25/10 at 10:35 am

Reagan was the 2nd greatest.  George Washington is a hard act to follow. The military was spat upon until Reagan took office.  He made the profession honorable again.  He systematically dismantled the former Soviet Union by bankrupting them and brought a quick end to the cold war which I fought in from 1970 to around 1988 when the former Soviet Union fell.  Let's either kick FDR off the dime and put Reagan on or kick Hamilton off the ten dollar bill and replace Reagan's likeness on that bill.  He did so many great things.  No president before or since has been a better communicator than he was.  He is my favorite president.

Wellll, you're certainly entitled to your opinion

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/26/10 at 5:25 am

Wellll, you're certainly entitled to your opinion

Reagan was the 13th disciple! He was God-Man made flesh! He was the Truth, the Word!
Hail Saint Ronnie! Long Live Bonzo!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 5:00 pm

Reagan was the 13th disciple! He was God-Man made flesh! He was the Truth, the Word!
Hail Saint Ronnie! Long Live Bonzo!

And, as Jello Biafra phrased it, he was the chipper grandfather we all kinda wished we had!

http://www.veryfunnytshirts.com/images/t-shirts/ronald-raygun-ringer-t-shirt.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...