» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Why you shouldn't watch Fox News..

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 12/18/10 at 6:41 pm

It's finally been "proven" that watching Fox News makes you stupid.  This article gives the results that confirm a previous study that people who watch Fox News are more "misinformed" on more issues than people who get their "facts" from other news sources.

It's not like we needed a reason NOT to watch Fox News, but now we have actual "facts" to back up our common sense ;)

Subject: Re: Why you shouldn't watch Fox News..

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/18/10 at 6:58 pm

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias!"

--Stephen Colbert

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/18/10 at 11:17 pm

I get most of my news online, anyway.

If, on the off chance that I do watch the news on television, I usually tune to NBC or CNN.

Interestingly enough, though, my parents both regularly watch Fox News (as well as other news stations) and they consistently vote Democrat.

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/19/10 at 11:05 am

Cat and I occasionally watch fox, usually just for a few minutes, until it makes us puke

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/19/10 at 12:05 pm

Glenn Beck, would probably say that the survey is liberally biased.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/10 at 12:12 pm

Cat and I occasionally watch fox, usually just for a few minutes, until it makes us puke

Actually YOU are the one who turns it on and I ask you if you have had enough of it already but I can't even stand it for THAT long.  8-P 8-P 8-P

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/19/10 at 1:35 pm

I can stand it for shorter and shorter spells.  FOX doesn't mature, but it deteriorates! 
Every minute I watch is a minute lost.
8-P

Written By: philbo on 12/22/10 at 10:09 am

It's finally been "proven" that watching Fox News makes you stupid.  This article gives the results that confirm a previous study that people who watch Fox News are more "misinformed" on more issues than people who get their "facts" from other news sources.

It's not like we needed a reason NOT to watch Fox News, but now we have actual "facts" to back up our common sense ;)

That is one scary poll - I think using the word "stupid" is a mistake, though, also with the assumption of causation: watching Fox does misinform, quite seriously and really rather disgustingly.  Whether it makes you stupid is not shown by the poll, and even if stupidity were being measured in the poll, causation might well be the other way round.

But mainly, using the word "stupid" will prevent the message getting across: Fox News is systematically lying to and misinforming its audience - calling them "stupid" ain't going to help if you're trying to point this out to those very people.

Do you think "Fair and balanced" means giving equal air time to lies as you give to the truth?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/10 at 10:15 am

That is one scary poll - I think using the word "stupid" is a mistake, though, also with the assumption of causation: watching Fox does misinform, quite seriously and really rather disgustingly.  Whether it makes you stupid is not shown by the poll, and even if stupidity were being measured in the poll, causation might well be the other way round.

But mainly, using the word "stupid" will prevent the message getting across: Fox News is systematically lying to and misinforming its audience - calling them "stupid" ain't going to help if you're trying to point this out to those very people.

Do you think "Fair and balanced" means giving equal air time to lies as you give to the truth?

Karma! Fair and balanced means giving equal air time to the center right and the ultra-right!  I know FOX News watchers who are anything but stupid.  They just benefit from right-wing economic policies and want to live in denial. 
::)

Written By: philbo on 12/22/10 at 10:43 am

Looking at the results of the actual survey (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf - down to p23/24), while there is a statistically significant effect of watching Fox News on how wrong people's beliefs are about some major items, it's actually quite scary how wrong most opinion is, even amongst people who don't watch Fox.

I seem to remember during the 04 election a poll showing that in some cases >70% of Republicans believed the wrong things about Bush's policies (even after he's been in power for 4 years), *always* tending towards thinking that his policies were what they wanted.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/10 at 7:36 pm

Looking at the results of the actual survey (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/pdf/dec10/Misinformation_Dec10_rpt.pdf - down to p23/24), while there is a statistically significant effect of watching Fox News on how wrong people's beliefs are about some major items, it's actually quite scary how wrong most opinion is, even amongst people who don't watch Fox.

I seem to remember during the 04 election a poll showing that in some cases >70% of Republicans believed the wrong things about Bush's policies (even after he's been in power for 4 years), *always* tending towards thinking that his policies were what they wanted.

The irony is the way the Right accuses liberals of running on emotion when FOX News is all about anger and jealousy day in day out.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/10 at 1:03 pm

The irony is the way the Right accuses liberals of running on emotion when FOX News is all about anger and jealousy day in day out.

Don't forget fear.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 4:57 pm

Don't forget fear.

Cat

One nation...
Under the bed!

:o

Check for new replies or respond here...