» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: South Carolina: Sure like to ball!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/20/10 at 10:55 pm

December 20th, 2010

For just $100 you can attend a gala ball celebrating South Carolina's 150th anniversary of its secession from the Union!  

Reeee-member, boys and girls, it's all about STATES RIGHTS and NORTHERN AGGRESSION and nothing to do with SLAVERY or KEEPING THE BLACK MAN DOWN.  

So come on down to 77 Calhoun Street in Charleston tonight and celebrate South Carolina's great heritage!*

* A $100 ticket entitles guest to have access to the Performance, as well as the Dinner Reception and Open Bar.
Dress Code: " Modern black tie, Period formal, or pre-war militia. Ladies formal modern or period."

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tophat.gif

http://www.slrc-csa.org/site/images/photos/rebflagdress.jpg

Subject: Re: South Carolina: Sure like to ball!

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/21/10 at 11:00 am

December 20th, 2010

For just $100 you can attend a gala ball celebrating South Carolina's 150th anniversary of its secession from the Union!  

Reeee-member, boys and girls, it's all about STATES RIGHTS and NORTHERN AGGRESSION and nothing to do with SLAVERY or KEEPING THE BLACK MAN DOWN.  

So come on down to 77 Calhoun Street in Charleston tonight and celebrate South Carolina's great heritage!*

* A $100 ticket entitles guest to have access to the Performance, as well as the Dinner Reception and Open Bar.
Dress Code: " Modern black tie, Period formal, or pre-war militia. Ladies formal modern or period."

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/tophat.gif

http://www.slrc-csa.org/site/images/photos/rebflagdress.jpg

I'm going to beat Lyric Boy to the punch - with apologies to Cat -

I'd party with her  :) :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/21/10 at 1:05 pm

I look SOOOOO much better in red than she does.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/21/10 at 7:53 pm

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton...

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/21/10 at 8:06 pm

Tonight they are going to party like it's 1861.

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/21/10 at 10:45 pm

You guys, the point wasn't the Aryan babe.  I ganked the picture from some terrible Stormfront website.  I was going to post a picture of the "Rebel Flag," but the picture of the Skynyrd Southern Belle emerged with the search results!
;D

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/10 at 10:42 am

Oh Dear....It doesn't give me much time to get things ready in the kitchen since that is the only place that I will be allowed.  I will run out to the Walmart and get some plates to hand out to the kids so they can be ready when the left overs are passed out through the back door.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/10 at 10:48 am

Time to revisit this whole question of secession.  Heck let's just let them go, and if there is anyone still debating the question of "states rights' the spell it out in the statement of causees.

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection. "

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/10 at 12:18 pm

;D

You wish you were in Dixie-assuming Dixie is a blond.

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 12/22/10 at 4:19 pm

;D

Bet you'd dixie this  ;D

http://www.countrymusicislove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Dixie-Chicks.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/22/10 at 7:31 pm

Time to revisit this whole question of secession.  Heck let's just let them go, and if there is anyone still debating the question of "states rights' the spell it out in the statement of causees.

"We affirm that these ends for which this Government was instituted have been defeated, and the Government itself has been made destructive of them by the action of the non-slaveholding States. Those States have assume the right of deciding upon the propriety of our domestic institutions; and have denied the rights of property established in fifteen of the States and recognized by the Constitution; they have denounced as sinful the institution of slavery; they have permitted open establishment among them of societies, whose avowed object is to disturb the peace and to eloign the property of the citizens of other States. They have encouraged and assisted thousands of our slaves to leave their homes; and those who remain, have been incited by emissaries, books and pictures to servile insurrection. "

There is one boards member who could give you a run for your money here.  He's the one who wrote a treatise in defense of "Uncle Remus" and "Song of the South"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

The guy I saw defending the Cecession Ball on TV was named "Thomas Hiter" (No "L").  Chris Matthews asked him if he would have sided with John Brown or the Confederates.
He said, "John Brown was a terrorist!"

Well...I was born in Boston and I can tell you we had no racism there!  Nope.  No racism in Boston, no sirree! 
:-X

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/10 at 10:58 am

There is one boards member who could give you a run for your money here.  He's the one who wrote a treatise in defense of "Uncle Remus" and "Song of the South"!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/nut.gif

The guy I saw defending the Cecession Ball on TV was named "Thomas Hiter" (No "L").  Chris Matthews asked him if he would have sided with John Brown or the Confederates.
He said, "John Brown was a terrorist!"

Well...I was born in Boston and I can tell you we had no racism there!  Nope.  No racism in Boston, no sirree! 
:-X

Nope, not Boston.  Why there was never a problem with that stuff in Charlestown or Southie, why we were even allowed to live on the slopes of N*88e* , oops, I mean Beacon Hill, made(maid) it easier to jump and run to work.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/23/10 at 6:31 pm

Bet you'd dixie this   ;D

http://www.countrymusicislove.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Dixie-Chicks.jpg

The ones on either end, yeah.  :P

The one in the middle, meh...  8-P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/24/10 at 9:51 am

Nope, not Boston.  Why there was never a problem with that stuff in Charlestown or Southie, why we were even allowed to live on the slopes of N*88e* , oops, I mean Beacon Hill, made(maid) it easier to jump and run to work.  ::)

My old man lived in Quincy in the early sixties.  He said the N-word was not only accepted but expected.  He said it was the most racist town he'd ever been in -- and he grew up on Long Island. 

Noam Chomsky told of a time in the 1950s when a real estate agent told him and his wife they would not be comfortable living in Winchester.  Ajews, Ajews, 'scuse me!

Of course, there were liberal do-gooders like my grandparents who were deadset against all that, but I guarantee if one of their daughters brought home a nice "Negro" boy, they would smile politely, proceed to the drawing room and guzzle on the whiskey! 

There was a blunt saying about Northern versus Southern racism.  In the South, they didn't mind if the Black man got close as long as he didn't get too big.  In the North, they didn't mnd if the Black man got big as long as he didn't get too close.*  Or as I say, in Boston "We shall overcome" was dandy, "We shall come over" -- not so good!
:o

*Close as servants, not as peers.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/24/10 at 11:24 am

My old man lived in Quincy in the early sixties.  He said the N-word was not only accepted but expected.  He said it was the most racist town he'd ever been in -- and he grew up on Long Island. 

Noam Chomsky told of a time in the 1950s when a real estate agent told him and his wife they would not be comfortable living in Winchester.  Ajews, Ajews, 'scuse me!

Of course, there were liberal do-gooders like my grandparents who were deadset against all that, but I guarantee if one of their daughters brought home a nice "Negro" boy, they would smile politely, proceed to the drawing room and guzzle on the whiskey! 

There was a blunt saying about Northern versus Southern racism.  In the South, they didn't mind if the Black man got close as long as he didn't get too big.  In the North, they didn't mnd if the Black man got big as long as he didn't get too close.*  Or as I say, in Boston "We shall overcome" was dandy, "We shall come over" -- not so good!

*Close as servants, not as peers.

That says it in a nutshell  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/24/10 at 9:48 pm

Tonight they are going to party like it's 1861. ;D

Meh.  I was thinking more like 1864.

/I'd hit it.
//With a Sherman tank, that is.
///Meh, I'd hit it anyways.
////Good heavens, just look at the time!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/27/10 at 5:06 pm

Meh.  I was thinking more like 1864.

/I'd hit it.
//With a Sherman tank, that is.
///Meh, I'd hit it anyways.
////Good heavens, just look at the time!

General Sherman was ahead of his time.  The firebombing of Dresden made Sherman's burning of Atlanta look like a Sunday school picnic!

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/10 at 1:19 am

General Sherman was ahead of his time.  The firebombing of Dresden made Sherman's burning of Atlanta look like a Sunday school picnic! :o

He sure was, but you're a few months early and a few thousand tonnes short.  

Think a little bigger.  (Link features an imagination of Gen. Sherman in an awesomely on-topic comic that happens to feature one naughty word.)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/30/10 at 3:42 am

I wonder how Sherman would've done had he been around to command during WWII  or Vietnam.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/10 at 9:53 pm

I wonder how Sherman would've done had he been around to command during WWII  or Vietnam.

Click on the link in my previous post.  Heh.

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/01/11 at 11:18 am

Click on the link in my previous post.  Heh.

Basically, Germany, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and possibly Italy would either not exist or would be nuclear wastelands if he had been alive and in command in those times.
He'd make Morgenthau look like a saint.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/02/11 at 12:54 am

Basically, Germany, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and possibly Italy would either not exist or would be nuclear wastelands if he had been alive and in command in those times. He'd make Morgenthau look like a saint.

Yep, that's Gen. Sherman.  Love him, hate him, or a little bit of both, you gotta hand it to him - his March to the Sea was the genesis of modern warfare. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/11 at 7:19 am

Yep, that's Gen. Sherman.  Love him, hate him, or a little bit of both, you gotta hand it to him - his March to the Sea was the genesis of modern warfare. 

The phrase "war is hell" is attributed to Sherman.  He wasn't real proud of what he did. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/02/11 at 7:33 am

The phrase "war is hell" is attributed to Sherman.  He wasn't real proud of what he did. 

I'm not so sure.  He may not have been proud, but he sure had a penchant, and did it with gusto.  After the Civil War he went into th "Indian Wars" and did pretty much the same thing saying "we must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children."  I would say he was pretty much a psychopath.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/02/11 at 1:50 pm

I'm not so sure.  He may not have been proud, but he sure had a penchant, and did it with gusto.  After the Civil War he went into th "Indian Wars" and did pretty much the same thing saying "we must act with vindictive earnestness against the Sioux, even to their extermination, men, women and children."  I would say he was pretty much a psychopath.

"War is hell and I'm the devil"?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/04/11 at 9:43 pm

"War is hell and I'm the devil"?
???

Not exactly.  Here he is in context. I found two versions of the quote, from two different speeches.  Possible that the dates and/or locations of the speeches have been confused through the cut-and-pastiness of the Internets.

"I am sick and tired of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have never fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolations. War is hell."
  - best in-context attribution (apparently there's no complete citation) of the original quote, addressed to a class graduating Michigan Military Academy, June 19, 1879.

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."
  - Sherman (to a crowd of Union vets, or to a younger crowd?  From context, I'd speculate a younger crowd) Columbus, OH, August 11, 1880.

In the interests of being fair and balanced, here's one from the other side:

"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it."
  - Gen. Robert E. Lee.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/05/11 at 11:13 am

Not exactly.  Here he is in context. I found two versions of the quote, from two different speeches.  Possible that the dates and/or locations of the speeches have been confused through the cut-and-pastiness of the Internets.

"I am sick and tired of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have never fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolations. War is hell."
  - best in-context attribution (apparently there's no complete citation) of the original quote, addressed to a class graduating Michigan Military Academy, June 19, 1879.

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."
  - Sherman (to a crowd of Union vets, or to a younger crowd?  From context, I'd speculate a younger crowd) Columbus, OH, August 11, 1880.

In the interests of being fair and balanced, here's one from the other side:

"It is well that war is so terrible - otherwise we would grow too fond of it."
  - Gen. Robert E. Lee.

That;s because generals fight them with other men's sons

Check for new replies or respond here...