» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Brithright policies

Written By: saver on 12/28/10 at 7:01 pm

This is being sent around, so I submit it for consideration...with a CAVEAT: 1
1. Yes, THE U.S. s a FREE COUNTRY but we have laws against crimes and illegal activity
2.BRAZIL (I hear also may be another that does not have policeis)
3.We're not talking about OUR ancestors being illegal..population and problems have become uncontrollable s far since,this maybe a start to a solution.

HERE ARE ALL THE DEVELOPED NATIONS OF THE WORLD THAT OFFER BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP TO THE BABIES OF TOURISTS AND ILLEGAL ALIENS:

United States
That’s right, every other modern Developed nation in the world has gotten rid of birthright citizenship policies.

Yet, most of U.S. news media and politicians the last two weeks have ridiculed the comments by some other politicians that it is time for the U.S. to put an end to birthright citizenship for tourists and illegal aliens.

Folks, the U.S. stands alone.

There used to be all kinds of Developed countries that gave away their citizenship as freely as we do in the U.S. But one by one they all have recognized the folly of that policy.

SOME MODERN COUNTRIES THAT RECENTLY ENDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP POLICY:
Canada was the last non-U.S. holdout. Illegal aliens stopped getting citizenship for their babies in 2009.

Australia’s birthright citizenship requirements are much more stringent than those of H.R. 1868 and took effect in 2007.

New Zealand repealed in 2006
Ireland repealed in 2005
France repealed in 1993
India repealed in 1987
United Kingdom repealed in 1983
Portugal repealed in 1981

The United States is the laughing stock of the modern world. Only the U.S. values its citizenship so lowly as to distribute it promiscuously to the off-spring of foreign citizens visiting Disney World on tourist visas and to foreign citizens who have violated their promises on their visitor, work and student visas to stay illegally in the country, as well as to those who sneak across our borders.

Subject: Re: Brithright policies

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/10 at 7:47 pm

The United States is the laughing stock of the modern world.

Yup-The U.S. is the laughing stock of the modern world because there are people who like to spew fear that pregnant women are coming to the U.S. just to give birth.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/28/10 at 7:49 pm

Yup-The U.S. is the laughing stock of the modern world because there are people who like to spew fear that pregnant women are coming to the U.S. just to give birth.
Cat

You actually believe that is not going on?  Come n Cat, you are not that naive.

Written By: Macphisto on 12/28/10 at 9:03 pm

It's a moot point now.  The Census now counts illegals and includes them for reapportionment.  We haven't granted mass amnesty, but that is the next logical step at this point.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/29/10 at 10:10 am

This tirade is so profoundly elementary is so many ways I don't know where to begin. The United States is unique in that it is a country based on immigration. It's history is unique to the formation of others in that it can be traced to an actual date July 4th(ring a bell). It is a struggle to maintain it's unique status in the face of so many who would look to homogenize it.  The United States isn't the laughing stock of the world, but the people of the United States are due to the arrogance of proclaiming themselves so much better than the industrialized world when our people are sicker, our children less educated, our elderly poorer, our workers underpaid with fewer benefits(if any at all) 

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/29/10 at 11:03 am

You actually believe that is not going on?  Come n Cat, you are not that naive.

The key words, which you apparently missed, are "spew fear" -  what's to be afraid of?

Written By: Don Carlos on 12/29/10 at 11:08 am

This tirade is so profoundly elementary is so many ways I don't know where to begin. The United States is unique in that it is a country based on immigration. It's history is unique to the formation of others in that it can be traced to an actual date July 4th(ring a bell). It is a struggle to maintain it's unique status in the face of so many who would look to homogenize it.  The United States isn't the laughing stock of the world, but the people of the United States are due to the arrogance of proclaiming themselves so much better than the industrialized world when our people are sicker, our children less educated, our elderly poorer, our workers underpaid with fewer benefits(if any at all)   

That is the key point.  We are one of the few nations so based, which means that we are an amalgamation of races and cultures and so have no "nation-ality" to protect, as do the French Irish, Italians, etc.  My ethnicity, going back, is Puerto Rican and German, so I like rum with my hasenfefer

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/10 at 11:30 am

This tirade is so profoundly elementary is so many ways I don't know where to begin. The United States is unique in that it is a country based on immigration. It's history is unique to the formation of others in that it can be traced to an actual date July 4th(ring a bell). It is a struggle to maintain it's unique status in the face of so many who would look to homogenize it.  The United States isn't the laughing stock of the world, but the people of the United States are due to the arrogance of proclaiming themselves so much better than the industrialized world when our people are sicker, our children less educated, our elderly poorer, our workers underpaid with fewer benefits(if any at all)  

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/10 at 4:41 pm

You would have to amend the 14th Amendment in order to quash birthright citizenship.  Politicians who proposed doing so last year got lambasted.  It's a bad career move.  I do hear propositions to change section 1 of  the 14th Amendment to provide that citizenship shall be conferred only upon persons born in the United States who have at least one biological parent who is a legal citizen of the United States at the time of birth. 

Such a provision does not sound terribly onerous.  However, you can be certain the nativist rhetoric would switch from "anchor babies" to "anchor mommies" and "anchor daddies."  Glenn Beck would immediately broadcast a story about Mexican families paying American men to conceive children with Mexican women so the babies can be U.S. citizens...

::)

Written By: Macphisto on 12/29/10 at 7:52 pm

The United States isn't the laughing stock of the world, but the people of the United States are due to the arrogance of proclaiming themselves so much better than the industrialized world when our people are sicker, our children less educated, our elderly poorer, our workers underpaid with fewer benefits(if any at all)   

Our people aren't sicker unless you're comparing us to the top ten healthiest countries.  Our poverty rate is still lower than much of the industrialized world.  Our workers are better paid (on average) than a lot of the world as well.

We certainly have problems, but I think you're aiming at the wrong factors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/29/10 at 8:03 pm

Our people aren't sicker unless you're comparing us to the top ten healthiest countries.  Our poverty rate is still lower than much of the industrialized world.  Our workers are better paid (on average) than a lot of the world as well.

We certainly have problems, but I think you're aiming at the wrong factors.

Yeah, it's the glass-half-empty liberal thinking.  We don't look so good if you compare us to the Canadians or the Dutch...so don't do it!  Compare us instead to the Somalians and the Cambodians. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/usa2.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/10 at 12:42 am

That’s right, every other modern Developed nation in the world has gotten rid of birthright citizenship policies.

Tell you what.

The US adopts the metric system, it can reject birthright citizenship.

OK, I was just joking.  When it comes to measurement, the US can stay with the bastions of freedom and democracy like Liberia and Burma (aka Myanmar, depending on which side of the gun you're on).  I'm not gonna try to fight that one, the political inertial here's just too great.  Pity about that Mars probe, though.  *facepalm*

So how about a more realistic compromise.  The US passes some sort of law that says that some n00b kid, whose only real crime is that he got born here through no fault of his own, can make good.  His "punishment" is to choose between spending a couple of years in the service of his adopted country or to make a half-assed (as in, literally, we'd only ask for two years, not all four) attempt at a four-year degree.

Naw, I was just kidding there, too.  The US - having ushered in a new era of global peace for everyone - has no need for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, or Marines anymore.  And with all the high-tech jobs outsourced to India and China, I guess it doesn't need any college grads either.  But hey, we could have dared to dream.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/30/10 at 7:56 am

Tell you what.

The US adopts the metric system, it can reject birthright citizenship.

OK, I was just joking.  When it comes to measurement, the US can stay with the bastions of freedom and democracy like Liberia and Burma (aka Myanmar, depending on which side of the gun you're on).  I'm not gonna try to fight that one, the political inertial here's just too great.  Pity about that Mars probe, though.  *facepalm*

So how about a more realistic compromise.  The US passes some sort of law that says that some n00b kid, whose only real crime is that he got born here through no fault of his own, can make good.  His "punishment" is to choose between spending a couple of years in the service of his adopted country or to make a half-assed (as in, literally, we'd only ask for two years, not all four) attempt at a four-year degree.

Naw, I was just kidding there, too.  The US - having ushered in a new era of global peace for everyone - has no need for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, or Marines anymore.  And with all the high-tech jobs outsourced to India and China, I guess it doesn't need any college grads either.  But hey, we could have dared to dream.

I say student loan forgiveness via four years of military service or civil service not just for immigrants but for everybody. 

How about this?  We stop letting capitalists abuse the people of the world to line their own pockets!  If that's the "free market," then f**k the free market.  We can do something else.  We don't have to have EITHER robber baron capitalism OR Stalinism.  We CAN set up a society in which entrepreneurs can make a tidy profit without the masses having to suffer for it. 

Written By: Macphisto on 12/31/10 at 1:40 am

Yeah, it's the glass-half-empty liberal thinking.  We don't look so good if you compare us to the Canadians or the Dutch...so don't do it!  Compare us instead to the Somalians and the Cambodians. 
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/usa2.gif

Compare us to other countries our size.  There is no other country as spread out or as large in population that has our standard of living.  It's much easier to maintain a higher quality of life in a country where the majority of your people are gathered into a handful of cities and you have less than 50 million people overall.

Look at Canada.  In many respects, they have a better quality of life than us.  Some of this is due to having more functional social systems, but in other respects, it has to do with their small and highly urbanized population as compared to us.  We can certainly improve our systems over time, but the other factors are more unique to smaller countries.

It's also worth considering that we border a country with a highly dysfunctional government which essentially uses us as shelter for its economic refugees and drug cartels.  If Canada bordered Mexico, they'd be having a lot more problems in their systems than they currently do.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/10 at 10:33 am

You would have to amend the 14th Amendment in order to quash birthright citizenship. 

Ever notice the favorite word of "strict constructionists" is "except".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/10 at 11:11 am

Ever notice the favorite word of "strict constructionists" is "except".

And the word underlying the entire argument is "horsesh*t."

The ACLU just sent me a copy of the U.S. Constitution.  It fits in a first-class postage envelope.  It's smaller than the state driver's manual.  Heck, it's smaller than you checkbook.  Every which way the "strict constructionists" apply their strict construction relies on hundreds of years of court cases and legislative interpretations.  The "strict constructionist" principle is a euphemism for whatever favors rich white males for whom the document was written to benefit. 

"I love the Constitution and all its amendments -- one through ten!"

-- Overheard rant from racist shock jock in the Midwest. 

Written By: danootaandme on 12/31/10 at 5:58 pm

And the word underlying the entire argument is "horsesh*t."

The ACLU just sent me a copy of the U.S. Constitution.  It fits in a first-class postage envelope.  It's smaller than the state driver's manual.  Heck, it's smaller than you checkbook.  Every which way the "strict constructionists" apply their strict construction relies on hundreds of years of court cases and legislative interpretations.  The "strict constructionist" principle is a euphemism for whatever favors rich white males for whom the document was written to benefit. 

"I love the Constitution and all its amendments -- one through ten!"

-- Overheard rant from racist shock jock in the Midwest. 

Me...I'm partial to Lucky 13

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/31/10 at 10:17 pm

I say student loan forgiveness via four years of military service or civil service not just for immigrants but for everybody.  

I'd actually be perfectly fine with that.  Price of a college education is just about comparable to the wages of four entry-level years on either side of the civilian/military divide.  In fact, I'd go one step further - not just a green card, but full-blown citizenship.

http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/starshiptroopers.jpg

Service guarantees citizenship.  (Would you like to know more?)

(( The movie was a fun random-violence-action-flick, but the book actually made a case for it. ))

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/01/11 at 11:33 am

Me...I'm partial to Lucky 13

14, 15, and 19 aren't too shabby either, eh?
;)

Written By: Macphisto on 01/02/11 at 2:29 pm

I'd actually be perfectly fine with that.  Price of a college education is just about comparable to the wages of four entry-level years on either side of the civilian/military divide.  In fact, I'd go one step further - not just a green card, but full-blown citizenship.

http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/starshiptroopers.jpg

Service guarantees citizenship.  (Would you like to know more?)

(( The movie was a fun random-violence-action-flick, but the book actually made a case for it. ))

Heinlein has his own fascist overtones, but honestly, I have to agree with this general idea myself.

Check for new replies or respond here...