» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Autism Vaccine link proven to be FRAUD

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/06/11 at 8:47 am

Report Linking Vaccine to Autism 'Fraudulent,' Says British Medical Journal

this was the original study that kicked off the vaccine scare that is now killing people thanks to the people who believed this BS and didn't vaccinate their children.

According to the editorial, Wakefield stood to gain financially from his purported findings because of his involvement in a lawsuit against manufacturers of the MMR vaccine. British news reports said Wakefield was hired as a consultant by lawyers trying to sue the vaccine's manufacturers. His compensation, they said, was about $750,000.

"But if you give Wakefield a lie detector test and ask him if he thinks MMR causes autism, he'd say yes. And he would probably pass, because he holds to it as one holds to a religious belief."

That's reason enough to keep religious people away from science in my book.

Subject: Re: Autism Vaccine link proven to be FRAUD

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/11 at 6:31 pm

I
THOUGHT
SO

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/06/11 at 7:06 pm

As somebody with autism, I'm pretty sure that it's genetic. My mom has some autistic tendencies, and I already know of one other autistic person from my mom's side of the family.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/11 at 7:08 pm

As somebody with autism, I'm pretty sure that genetics plays a major role in it. My mom has some autistic tendencies, and I already know of one other autistic person from my mom's side of the family.

I have some autistic traits too.  Asperger's syndrome.  People think I'm very weird because I seem so normal at first, and then...the Aspie traits kick in and people think, "Whoa! This guy's a weeeirdo or something!"
::)

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/06/11 at 7:11 pm

I have some autistic traits too.  Asperger's syndrome.  People think I'm very weird because I seem so normal at first, and then...the Aspie traits kick in and people think, "Whoa! This guy's a weeeirdo or something!"
::)

I have Asperger Syndrome, too. I wouldn't say that people think I'm weird as much as they just see me as very quiet and reserved.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/06/11 at 7:26 pm

I have Asperger Syndrome, too. I wouldn't say that people think I'm weird as much as they just see me as very quiet and reserved.

Yeah, me too.  I have a lot of social anxiety.  Sometimes people feel like I don't like them when I'm merely stuck in my head and not terribly aware of how I'm making other people feel.  I've had moderate success managing that part of it.  Some people think of me as "eccentric."
8)

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/06/11 at 7:49 pm

Wow that British journal is now going to be in deep doody with Jenny McCarthy, who has proclaimed herself as an expert in the causal relationship between vaccines and autism.  :D

Written By: philbo on 01/07/11 at 10:26 am

Wow that British journal is now going to be in deep doody with Jenny McCarthy, who has proclaimed herself as an expert in the causal relationship between vaccines and autism.   :D

True, the might of the British Medial Journal and pretty much all the medical establishment is as nothing compared to a pretty celebrity..

You might say the same about the power of statistics (given that rates of autism have not dropped when uptake of MMR has dropped), too.  It has been obvious and inarguable for years now that there is no possible causal link between MMR and autism - rates of autism in the unvaccinated population are the same as for those who had been given the vaccine.

I was saying only yesterday to a colleague that I used to view Wakefield as someone whose heart was in the right place, but simply mistaken; I now think he's a really rather heartless fraud who has caused (not on his own, true, but been hugely influential in causing) staggering levels of uncertainty, discomfort, disease and death.. and all the while he stood to gain financially from this campaign.  Autism wasn't the first, either: before that, he'd tried blaming Crohn's on MMR.  But I guess autism was that bit more scary for parents.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/11 at 11:33 am

As an autistic...how the hell did I get Autism then?

My family traits don't have it so...how?

Written By: philbo on 01/07/11 at 11:41 am

As an autistic...how the hell did I get Autism then?

My family traits don't have it so...how?

If I knew that...

But even though it's less satisfying to say "I don't know" than "It's the evul vaxxines!!", you would have to be terminally blinkered (or staggeringly stupid.. or possibly financially motivated) to hang on to the notion that MMR causes autism: it's not just that there is no evidence whatsoever to show a link (even Wakefield's research, the one where he's now being accused of making up the results, didn't show any kind of causal link.. merely a possibility which required more research), but there have been some large-scale studies which conclusively show that there can be no link.

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/11 at 12:18 pm

I think they're just labeling autistics on the back so that one day they can excommunicate them!

Written By: philbo on 01/07/11 at 12:23 pm

Excommunicate?

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/07/11 at 12:30 pm

^That might sound crazy, but that'll be coming soon...It's a sign for The End.

Written By: philbo on 01/07/11 at 12:43 pm

You're right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/11 at 8:56 pm

Wow that British journal is now going to be in deep doody with Jenny McCarthy, who has proclaimed herself as an expert in the causal relationship between vaccines and autism.   :D

Nah, she'll just go shill for the ASPCA with all the sad-eyed hound dogs and folks will forget all about the expert in causal relationship between something and something.  Maybe she'll just go over and stand next to some hungry African children now...
:\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/11 at 10:25 pm

Yay, it's not true!!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/blob8.gif

Written By: karen on 01/11/11 at 11:31 am

Report Linking Vaccine to Autism 'Fraudulent,' Says British Medical Journal

this was the original study that kicked off the vaccine scare that is now killing people thanks to the people who believed this BS and didn't vaccinate their children.

According to the editorial, Wakefield stood to gain financially from his purported findings because of his involvement in a lawsuit against manufacturers of the MMR vaccine. British news reports said Wakefield was hired as a consultant by lawyers trying to sue the vaccine's manufacturers. His compensation, they said, was about $750,000.

"But if you give Wakefield a lie detector test and ask him if he thinks MMR causes autism, he'd say yes. And he would probably pass, because he holds to it as one holds to a religious belief."

That's reason enough to keep religious people away from science in my book.

But will this make the front page headlines like his original 'study' did?  Of course it won't, so there will still be mums who refuse to get their child vaccinated  ::)

Written By: philbo on 01/11/11 at 1:34 pm

Those parents by and large already think that "the powers that be" are out to get Andrew Wakefield, so they'll just think this is made up to discredit him.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/12/11 at 9:14 pm

Those parents by and large already think that "the powers that be" are out to get Andrew Wakefield, so they'll just think this is made up to discredit him.

pretty much.  waste of oxygen Jenny McCarthy already released a statement about how this one study isn't the only reason, blah blah, etc.  Hard to cure stupidity that ingrained I suppose.

Check for new replies or respond here...