» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Sacha Baron Cohen to make film of 'Saddam Hussein book'

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/11 at 4:28 pm

Borat and Bruno actor Sacha Baron Cohen is to star in a comedy inspired by a book thought to be written by the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein.

The Dictator is a loose adaptation of the novel Zabibah and the King, which was a best-seller in Iraq in 2000.

Paramount Pictures said the film would tell "the heroic story of a dictator who risked his life to ensure that democracy would never come to the country he so lovingly oppressed".

It will be released on 11 May 2012.

Alec Berg, Jeff Schaffer and David Mandel - writers on Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm - have been recruited to pen the script.

The Dicator will be directed by Larry Charles, who worked with Baron Cohen on both the Bruno and Borat comedies.

Although Zabibah and the King was written under the pseudonym "The Author", it is believed it was written by ghost-writers carefully supervised by Hussein.

Set in the 7th or 8th Century, the romance novel tells the story of a king who falls in love with a poor, married woman.

Later this year, Mamma Mia! star Dominic Cooper will be seen in The Devil's Double playing Saddam Hussein's son Uday and a man forced to impersonate him.

Last year it was confirmed that Baron Cohen, 39, would play Queen front man Freddie Mercury in an upcoming film biopic.

Subject: Re: Sacha Baron Cohen to make film of 'Saddam Hussein book'

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/20/11 at 9:15 pm

It seems that Sacha Baron Cohen is in almost any film with a celebrity.

I hope that one day I can have him in a movie that I wrote the screenplay for....

Check for new replies or respond here...