» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Black Mother Jailed For Sending Kids to White School District

Written By: danootaandme on 01/25/11 at 4:22 pm

http://antikryptos.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/black-mother-jailed-for-sending-kids-to-white-school-district-2/

" An Ohio mother of two was sentenced to 10 days in jail and placed on three years probation after sending her kids to a school district in which they did not live. Kelly Williams-Bolar was sentenced by Judge Patricia Cosgrove on Tuesday and will begin serving her sentence immediately.

A final interesting blow by Judge Cosgrove that reflects the experience of marginalized African Americans in the criminal justice system relates to Williams-Bolar’s quest to obtain a teaching degree. The single mother was in school studying to become a teacher so that she could create a better life for her girls. But that won’t happen for her family now, given that the judge has all but shut the door on her chance to fulfill her dream:

”Because of the felony conviction, you will not be allowed to get your teaching degree under Ohio law as it stands today,” the judge said. ”The court’s taking into consideration that is also a punishment that you will have to serve.”

Subject: Re: Black Mother Jailed For Sending Kids to White School District

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/25/11 at 4:38 pm

Well, that is such a major crime to send your kids to school, don't you know. She got off easy only having to serve 10 days in jail.  ::)

The justice in this country is much to be desired.  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/25/11 at 5:03 pm

Ugh, that's sick!

I never been through the era where white kids HAD to go to school with black kids (forced busing) in a time where segregation and racism reigned (50's-60's). This is one of the things that hurt my city.

And now it's happening again?! :o

Written By: gibbo on 01/25/11 at 5:43 pm

That is just shocking. Over here I can send my kids to whatever school I wish to (and I it doesn't have to be in my locality).  We have some issues with Aboriginal people... but they have the same educational rights as me. Whether or not it actually pans out that way is another question.  :-\\  The same preduces exist here (whether we recognize them or not). Aboriginals are typically of low socio economic areas and have ongoing issues with drug and alcohol abuse etc.  Possibly more like the American Indian issues rather than the negroes.

How can it serve society well to keep this poor woman down (or is it in her place)?  This type of narrow action just perpetuates the problem.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/25/11 at 8:15 pm

Well, that is such a major crime to send your kids to school, don't you know. She got off easy only having to serve 10 days in jail.  ::)

The justice in this country is much to be desired.  >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Justice?  Justice? We got nothing to do with justice, we goes by the law!

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/11 at 9:20 pm

What does black have to do with it? The teacher unions and the Democratic party have been fighting school choice in all 50 states regardless of race, school performance, or anything else.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/25/11 at 11:48 pm

I never been through the era where white kids HAD to go to school with black kids (forced busing) in a time where segregation and racism reigned (50's-60's). This is one of the things that hurt my city.

And now it's happening again?! :o

It stopped?!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/11 at 7:06 am

What does black have to do with it? The teacher unions and the Democratic party have been fighting school choice in all 50 states regardless of race, school performance, or anything else.

People have been slipping their kids into other school districts forever.  This is the first instance i know of, or anyone I know of, has ever heard of someone being convicted as a felon, jailed, made to pay "tuition" and had prospects for a job that will bring her out of poverty smashed, for it. 

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/11 at 9:28 am

People have been slipping their kids into other school districts forever.  This is the first instance i know of, or anyone I know of, has ever heard of someone being convicted as a felon, jailed, made to pay "tuition" and had prospects for a job that will bring her out of poverty smashed, for it. 

Yeah, and if she were white, no one would have noticed, or cared

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/26/11 at 12:49 pm

Okay, so what she did was wrong....make her pay a retroactive "tuition" like a majority of districts around the country do.  That's what happened when one of my son's friends was caught.  His parents were in the process of building a house in our town and they registered their son at the grandparents' address so he could start the school year at our school.  The school district found out and charged them an "out of district" tuition, retroactive to the start of the year.  It was nowhere CLOSE to the actual "estimated cost" of educating him for the year (well, technically half).  There were also kids who attended MY high school (granted this was umpteen years ago) strictly for our sports program.  They lived in districts where their schools either had NONE or didn't offer the sports they wanted to participate in.  Our school charged them the same "out of district" type tuition.  Of course, with NCLB, schools don't want to do this anymore because it messes up their numbers and demographics for funding....I guess Ohio has some messed up "tax-based" funding system for the schools as well.  There are people out there committing much more serious crimes, getting slaps on the wrists, and still able to get college degrees, teaching certificates, etc., but this mother's desire for her girls to get a better education lands her in jail and prevents any hope of a teaching degree.  Not to mention, a $7500 DISCREPANCY in funding between the two schools???  Are they serious???  Our school district spends just under $7000 TOTAL/student/year!!!!  THAT'S the REAL crime being committed here!!!!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/26/11 at 5:59 pm

Okay, so what she did was wrong....make her pay a retroactive "tuition" like a majority of districts around the country do.  That's what happened when one of my son's friends was caught.  His parents were in the process of building a house in our town and they registered their son at the grandparents' address so he could start the school year at our school.  The school district found out and charged them an "out of district" tuition, retroactive to the start of the year.  It was nowhere CLOSE to the actual "estimated cost" of educating him for the year (well, technically half).  There were also kids who attended MY high school (granted this was umpteen years ago) strictly for our sports program.  They lived in districts where their schools either had NONE or didn't offer the sports they wanted to participate in.  Our school charged them the same "out of district" type tuition.  Of course, with NCLB, schools don't want to do this anymore because it messes up their numbers and demographics for funding....I guess Ohio has some messed up "tax-based" funding system for the schools as well.  There are people out there committing much more serious crimes, getting slaps on the wrists, and still able to get college degrees, teaching certificates, etc., but this mother's desire for her girls to get a better education lands her in jail and prevents any hope of a teaching degree.  Not to mention, a $7500 DISCREPANCY in funding between the two schools???  Are they serious???  Our school district spends just under $7000 TOTAL/student/year!!!!  THAT'S the REAL crime being committed here!!!!

She does have to pay, $30,000 :o  She has to pay, AND go to jail for 10 days, AND be on probation for 3 years, AND lose her job as a teachers aid because she is a convicted felon, AND she was in school finishing her teaching degree and will not be able to teach because she is a convicted FELON!!!!!!

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/11 at 6:19 pm

OK, we all agree that this isn't anything like justice, and it is clearly racist.  So where is the ACLU?  Where is the Dept of "Justice"? Where is the Human Rights Commission? Where is the outpouring of support for this woman?  If I were governor of VT I would invite her to move to VT, give her a scholarship & stipend, and ask the VT supreme court to vacate her felony conviction.  I ain't the "governator", but I'm willing to petition him.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/26/11 at 6:22 pm

OK, we all agree that this isn't anything like justice, and it is clearly racist.  So where is the ACLU?  Where is the Dept of "Justice"? Where is the Human Rights Commission? Where is the outpouring of support for this woman?  If I were governor of VT I would invite her to move to VT, give her a scholarship & stipend, and ask the VT supreme court to vacate her felony conviction.  I ain't the "governator", but I'm willing to petition him.

Who said it was racist? Did she commit a felony or not?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/27/11 at 9:23 am

I doubt it.  Who in their right mind would call sending a kid to school a felony, no matter which school district.  The "felony" is making a big deal about it

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/27/11 at 11:15 am

She does have to pay, $30,000 :o  She has to pay, AND go to jail for 10 days, AND be on probation for 3 years, AND lose her job as a teachers aid because she is a convicted felon, AND she was in school finishing her teaching degree and will not be able to teach because she is a convicted FELON!!!!!!
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying....I was saying JUST make her pay the difference and call it a day :)

I would like to know how they came up with the $30,000 figure, though because that seems inflated to me....as I said, my kids' district doesn't even pay $7000/kid/year.  If she had 2 kids, that's $7500 over and above whatever the district where she lives pays/kid/year.  There's something seriously effed up with an educational system when one district can afford to spend $7500 MORE annually to educate our children!!!  THAT is what these people should have been spending their time & money investigating, not this mother who was only trying to give her children a better life!

Written By: danootaandme on 01/27/11 at 2:28 pm

It has all the appearances because people are always being caught doing it, but never has there been such a punitive sentence issued.  People want to know what makes her so different than anyone else.  What do you think makes her so different than anyone else?

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/27/11 at 8:19 pm

It has all the appearances because people are always being caught doing it, but never has there been such a punitive sentence issued.  People want to know what makes her so different than anyone else.  What do you think makes her so different than anyone else?

The difference is clear, she's poor and she's black.  Any fool can see that, except our conservative "friends"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/11 at 7:10 pm

Apparently tampering with records is a felony in Ohio; however, Cosgrove's ruling seems harsh and vindictive.  I smell racism, but maybe it's just an a-hole judge thing.

http://www.thefeministwire.com/2011/01/31/an-open-letter-to-judge-cosgrove/

Written By: 80sfan on 02/03/11 at 8:34 pm

Racism is sooooo 1964!  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/04/11 at 7:43 am

Racism is sooooo 1964!  ::)

Back to the future

Written By: 80sfan on 02/04/11 at 2:42 pm

Back to the future

;D Yes.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/04/11 at 7:54 pm

Seems to me that there are two dynamics working in this country.  On the one hand, old progressives like me, who fought their racial prejudice demons years ago (another story), and younger people who were raised in a post Martin L.K. world are coming to dominate popular culture with a more color blind attitude.  Meanwhile, institutional America (and the elite, and especially the old anglo saxon elite) remains mired in racial prejudice, and has the institutional power to turn their prejudice into state policy, ie racism.  So I guess in some ways we can say that there has been progress, but we are obviously not there yet.  There are battles still to be fought for equality, on many fronts.

What do others think?  I'm I right, or am I right?  (just kidding, what do you think?)

Check for new replies or respond here...