» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Westboro Baptist Church

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/26/11 at 3:19 pm

Do these people have to rant about EVERYTHING? These people of Westboro say that the reason why the protest because God is out to get America!

Now I've been self-righteous, but these Westboro People do it to the extreme!

They Picket at Funerals of Christians, They Picket at Funerals for our Troops...OUR Troops who fight and die, And the founder is Fred Phelps...even the REAL Baptist Church rejects him!

Christianity isn't meant to HATE people...it became that way. God LOVES The Gay People...not the art of Homosexuality, he wants to save as many souls as he can....

Westboro HAS to shut-down...they thank God for sending souls to hell...or so it seems.

Subject: Re: Westboro Baptist Church

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/26/11 at 5:29 pm

Do these people have to rant about EVERYTHING? These people of Westboro say that the reason why the protest because God is out to get America!

Now I've been self-righteous, but these Westboro People do it to the extreme!

They Picket at Funerals of Christians, They Picket at Funerals for our Troops...OUR Troops who fight and die, And the founder is Fred Phelps...even the REAL Baptist Church rejects him!

Christianity isn't meant to HATE people...it became that way. God LOVES The Gay People...not the art of Homosexuality, he wants to save as many souls as he can....

Westboro HAS to shut-down...they thank God for sending souls to hell...or so it seems.

On this we can agree, to a point.  These people are far from the christian ideal, although there is no way they could, or should, be "shut down" since they are exercising their 1st amendment rights, no matter how despicable their message is.  I may (diametrically) disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it (even if you will not defend mine).

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/26/11 at 8:40 pm

Did you ever wonder how the Westboro Baptist Church can afford to travel around the country picketing funerals? Do you really think that they bring in enough money from outside sources to support their exploits?

The truth is, Fred Phelps and his family (which is pretty much all the WBC consists of) are all lawyers, and they make their money by trying to piss off as many people as they can, and whenever a community tries to block them legally from protesting they just claim that their First Amendment rights are being violated, sue the pants off the community that tries to take legal action against them and unfortunately, more often than not, they win.  >:(

Written By: MrCleveland on 01/26/11 at 8:58 pm

On this we can agree, to a point.  These people are far from the christian ideal, although there is no way they could, or should, be "shut down" since they are exercising their 1st amendment rights, no matter how despicable their message is.  I may (diametrically) disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it (even if you will not defend mine).

I'll say this...God gave us the gift of Free Will. I can't change a person's mind....

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/26/11 at 10:35 pm

The truth is, Fred Phelps and his family (which is pretty much all the WBC consists of) are all lawyers, and they make their money by trying to piss off as many people as they can, and whenever a community tries to block them legally from protesting they just claim that their First Amendment rights are being violated, sue the pants off the community that tries to take legal action against them and unfortunately, more often than not, they win.  >:(

Quoted for Truth.

They've hit upon a real-life formula for making money by trolling the entire country. 

The correct response, when you realize you're being trolled, is Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.  Just ignore it.  Eventually it'll starve and go away.

Written By: philbo on 01/27/11 at 5:16 am

The correct response, when you realize you're being trolled, is Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.  Just ignore it.  Eventually it'll starve and go away.

+1

The problem with the Westboro Baptist Church isn't them so much as the media attention they attract.  If they they didn't make such good grotesquery on TV, nobody would have heard of them and they'd be broke by now.

I feel sorry for the children - being brought up in that atmosphere must be toxic.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 01/27/11 at 11:31 am

Their latest target is Ozzy Osbourne ;D 

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/westboro_baptist_rips_off_pickets_ozzy_osbourne_au.php

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/27/11 at 11:31 am

Quoted for Truth.

They've hit upon a real-life formula for making money by trolling the entire country. 

When they came to Vermont, that was basically the reaction. Vermonters didn't respond to them at all and they left.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/27/11 at 4:08 pm

Quoted for Truth.

The correct response, when you realize you're being trolled, is Do. Not. Feed. The. Troll.  Just ignore it.  Eventually it'll starve and go away.

Exactly. And Mr. Cleveland, that goes for you too. Don't even waste your time getting upset by those clowns, because that's exactly what they want. They're just nothing but attention whores of the very worst kind.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/11 at 7:19 pm

Their latest target is Ozzy Osbourne ;D 

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/01/westboro_baptist_rips_off_pickets_ozzy_osbourne_au.php

Ozzy once took a whiz on the Alamo.  I'm sure he'd have no problem issuing the same treatment to Phelps!
8)

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/03/11 at 11:56 pm

It's funny how these people hate America so much, and yet are constantly taking advantage of their First Amendment rights to do what they do. They should consider themselves lucky that they live here. They would not be able to do what they're doing in Canada or the U.K. (which has already barred them from entering the country, by the way) because of those countries' anti-hate speech laws.

Secondly, I hardly think they're truly trying to "turn people to God" as much as they're simply trying to piss people off. They can't be stupid enough to actually believe that anybody will respond positively to signs saying "God Hates F**s" or "Thank God For 9/11."

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/20/11 at 10:30 pm

Amusing: So what would happen if Anonymous went after WBC?

Funny:  Someone would notice that Anon typically doesn't use ampersands ("&") in its press releases.  And that WBC used lots of ampersands in its Bring it communique.  That's funny.  There were also lots of ampersands in the original call for the operation.  It's almost like WBC, in their attempts to drum up support for themselves, faked the whole thing as a trap, and called the usual media folks about it ahead of time.

Lulzy:  Hence, the reply that went out today.

A little long-winded, a little pretentious (but what did you expect?), and essentially correct.  To summarize:

1) IT'S A TRAP.  WBC has presumably set up honeypots to gain information on anyone dumb enough to participate in illegal activities.
2) WBC is a troll that depends on lawsuits for its nourishment; do not feed the troll and it will starve.
3) Even douchebags like WBC have the right to be douchebags.
4) WBC is doing a better job making a mockery of themselves than anyone else could anyways, so it's funnier to just ignore them.

Considering the state of the world, (and recent goings-on in the security industry) I LOL'd hard at the "Anonymous thanks you for your interest, and would certainly like to take a break and have some fun with you guys, we have more pressing matters to deal with at the moment." bit.

Refuse to feed the troll and it will either starve or go away.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/20/11 at 11:44 pm

Ozzy once took a whiz on the Alamo.  I'm sure he'd have no problem issuing the same treatment to Phelps!
8)

I think I would actually pay to see that. ;D

Written By: philbo on 02/21/11 at 6:47 am

It's almost like WBC, in their attempts to drum up support for themselves, faked the whole thing as a trap, and called the usual media folks about it ahead of time.

Not so much an attempt to drum up support, methinks, as to do exactly what the Anon reply implicitly accuses them of doing: to draw DDoS attacks so that they can sue - the same sort of scam as their real-world behaviour, inviting assault so that they can sue.

I wonder how the law of fraud applies to pretending to be someone/a group of people who stays anonymous?

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/21/11 at 11:54 pm

I wonder how the law of fraud applies to pretending to be someone/a group of people who stays anonymous?

Pretty nicely.

If Anonymous had leaders, they could be charged for anything from conspiracy to something analagous to inciting a riot.  But it doesn't have any leaders, so that doesn't work.  Beneath the mask there are more than defendants.  Beneath the mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.

Meanwhile, anyone simultaneously dumb-enough-to-break-the-law and unlucky-enough-to-get-caught ceases to be anonymous at the nanosecond they're charged.  Unlike ideas, defendants are most assuredly not bulletproof. :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/06/11 at 9:36 pm

And now, the latest development in the continuing storrrrrry...

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm28/HCPMafia/Coolface_troll_seal.png

of a hack, who's gone to your dawg.

From a week or so ago:

OZJwSjor4hM

Yo dawg, I heard you liked trolls, so here's a troll trolling a troll, so he could troll while he, umm, look, I can go with a Yo Dawg joke or a Muppets reference, but I'm really having trouble putting 'em both together in any sort of coherent fashion.  

So I'll just punt.  And if you're wondering what the icon on the right-hand sign of the screen is?  Why, it's one of these, what'd you think it was?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/07/11 at 11:59 am

From a week or so ago:

OZJwSjor4hM

Yo dawg, I heard you liked trolls, so here's a troll trolling a troll, so he could troll while he, umm, look, I can go with a Yo Dawg joke or a Muppets reference, but I'm really having trouble putting 'em both together in any sort of coherent fashion.  

So I'll just punt.  And if you're wondering what the icon on the right-hand sign of the screen is?  Why, it's one of these, what'd you think it was?

I wish you wouldn't use the name "Dawg" when referring to these idiots.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=9420

That is my sister.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/07/11 at 10:08 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=profile;u=9420

That is my sister.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

My apologies for the unhappy coincidence; in my defense, let me present Xzibit A, the origins of Yo Dawg.  If it's any consolation, he probably hates it more than your sister :)

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/09/11 at 1:54 pm

From a week or so ago:

OZJwSjor4hM

Sounds like something you get from DeviantArt.

And some sarcastibitch who blocked me (then I blocked her) said "If you want to be clever...watch a Marx Bros. Film". All I can think of is "Of Course You Realize, This Means WAR"!

PS-I found out what Butt-Hurt means...it means stop taking sheesh TOO seriously!

Check for new replies or respond here...