» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Anybody following what's going on in Egypt?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/28/11 at 9:44 pm

I've been hearing about the protests and unrest in Egypt the last few days. Apparently the government has gone as far as blocking the internet in the country, it seems to be a pretty serious situation. I wonder what will be the result of all this and the effects it may have on the world. Anybody have any opinions about what's happening? What are the main causes of the mass protests?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ml_egypt_protest

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/httptechlandtimecom20110128howegyptcutofftheinternetxidrssfullworldyahoo;_ylt=Aos3YSS3E51iDKMOwL_XgmUUewgF;_ylu=X3oDMTRvNHNhc3NtBGFzc2V0Ay9zL3RpbWUvaHR0cHRlY2hsYW5kdGltZWNvbTIwMTEwMTI4aG93ZWd5cHRjdXRvZmZ0aGVpbnRlcm5ldHhpZHJzc2Z1bGx3b3JsZHlhaG9vBGNjb2RlA21wX2VjXzhfMTAEY3BvcwMyBHBvcwMyBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDaG93ZWd5cHRjdXRv

Subject: Re: Anybody following what's going on in Egypt?

Written By: 80sfan on 01/28/11 at 9:59 pm

I saw some clips; that's some scary sh*t there mate!  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/11 at 4:55 am

It looks nasty out there and I believe that there are tanks out on the streets now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/11 at 6:09 am

Yeah, it's cost me a pretty decent chunk of money today.  Funny thing is I figured everyone else already knew as of two days ago, (shoot two weeks ago if you count Tunisia), but apparently, not so much.

http://i51.tinypic.com/o9k553.jpg

But hey, at least I can laugh about it.

http://newswhip.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/chart.jpg

Wait, no, I can't.

Because I watched Egypt vanish from the Internet last night, and if they can do it there, we can (and will) do it here.

The problem is that we painted ourselves into a corner.  To guarantee our petroleum supplies in the 70s and 80s, we propped up thugs who stood with us against the Soviets.  Fair enough, it bought us 30 years and helped us win the Cold War.  Problem is, having done so, we left the field open to whoever was waiting in the wings to take over.  The bad guys aren't behind these revolutions; they appear to be genuinely popular uprisings.  But they're waiting, and I worry that when the dust settles, they'll be in charge.

There's nothing in the Wikileaks cables about Cairo that isn't already known in any sufficiently-long thread about the Egyptian riots.  The economy's in the tank, the army may or may not support the designated successor, the people are out of options, but as long as the cops are on the side of the government, the cities burn.

Since I don't know whether we end up with free elections and a democratic republic, or yet another whackjob theocracy, I have no dog in this fight.  As someone who'd stupidly backed out of some of his gold and oil holdings, I lost some hefty coin today, and as such, I don't care what happens anymore.  I just want to (eat popcorn and stay down here) while the damned fools fight it out aboveground.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 7:06 am

No coincidence in Egypt...

Shortly after Mubarak said he would put the smack down on whoever is bombing the Coptic churches over there, bring on the street violence.  Apparently he is seen as a Christian-lover which is not popular in that neck 'o the woods.

Written By: Emman on 01/29/11 at 7:44 am

This might be disturbing, but here's a video of the police shooting a teenager >:(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzMOkrfv0uQ&NR=1

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 9:14 am

This might be disturbing, but here's a video of the police shooting a teenager >:(.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzMOkrfv0uQ&NR=1

This is what can be expected to happen when a violent uprising is launched.  Whether the protesters are right or wrong, once they start looting stores and burning cars, they can expect a violent response from the police or other government forces.  Initiation of violence carries a calculated risk.

It ain't no party, it ain't no disco, it ain't no fooling around...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/11 at 9:46 am

I haven't been following it closely but how can you NOT follow it somewhat. Last night, Mubarak said that he dismissed his administration but he is staying. That is REALLY bad news. The people want him gone. And the fact that he plans to stick around-I think his days are now numbered.

What does this mean for the U.S.? That is a good question. Mubarak has been an ally keeping peace with Israel. If some other guy (or woman-if Egypt doesn't go Islamic Fundie  :-\\ ) gets in there, they may not want to keep peace with Israel. That could cause the entire Middle East to explode.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 10:26 am

My opinion... If the United States did not maintain its inexplicable and costly support of Israel, (a country which itself has launched military operations and espionage against the people of the United States) we would not give a rat's butt about what happens in Egypt.

To get politically entangled re: Egypt because of Israel?  It is irrational, and I just wish that somebody in our government (Dem and Repub) would forget about the huge campaign financing that Israel's supporters in the US provide, and DO THE RIGHT THING... Keep our noses out of the Middle East mess and that includes Israel.  Our involvement with Isarel had garnered us nothing but enemies and the contempt of many people in the Middle East.

Let all those countries fight it out without us assisting ANY party.

On a side note, the Egyptian protesters apparently have problems with more than just the current Egyptian government, they are even rising up against the pharoes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110129/sc_nm/us_egypt_museum

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/11 at 11:27 am

My opinion... If the United States did not maintain its inexplicable and costly support of Israel, (a country which itself has launched military operations and espionage against the people of the United States) we would not give a rat's butt about what happens in Egypt.

To get politically entangled re: Egypt because of Israel?  It is irrational, and I just wish that somebody in our government (Dem and Repub) would forget about the huge campaign financing that Israel's supporters in the US provide, and DO THE RIGHT THING... Keep our noses out of the Middle East mess and that includes Israel.  Our involvement with Isarel had garnered us nothing but enemies and the contempt of many people in the Middle East.

Let all those countries fight it out without us assisting ANY party.

On a side note, the Egyptian protesters apparently have problems with more than just the current Egyptian government, they are even rising up against the pharoes:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110129/sc_nm/us_egypt_museum

I do agree with you about the U.S. involvement with Israel-to an extent. Yeah, the U.S. has been bending over backwards for Israel when Israel has been the aggressor many times over. However, if we (the U.S.) would let them fight it out, there wouldn't be a Middle East left because it would be nuked!

This is some scary sh!t that is happening.

Cat

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/11 at 2:44 pm

No coincidence in Egypt...

Shortly after Mubarak said he would put the smack down on whoever is bombing the Coptic churches over there, bring on the street violence.  Apparently he is seen as a Christian-lover which is not popular in that neck 'o the woods.

weird, since the website for the United Copts was urging Christians in Egypt to join in the protests...  not sure where you got your theory from, but it doesn't make much sense.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/11 at 3:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQD-X9G9xfk&feature=player_embedded

The army seems to be siding with the protesters.  Here they are protecting the people from the police. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/11 at 3:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQD-X9G9xfk&feature=player_embedded

The army seems to be siding with the protesters.  Here they are protecting the people from the police. 

There were some speculations as to whether the army will side with the protesters or not. The protesters love the army and cheered them when they came on the scene. I find that interesting because with most revolutions, the army sides with the powers that be.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 4:19 pm

There were some speculations as to whether the army will side with the protesters or not. The protesters love the army and cheered them when they came on the scene. I find that interesting because with most revolutions, the army sides with the powers that be.

Cat

Yeah... typically when one finds out that the military is supporting the protesters, it is AFTER the head of state has left the country or has been arrested by the military.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 4:38 pm

weird, since the website for the United Copts was urging Christians in Egypt to join in the protests...  not sure where you got your theory from, but it doesn't make much sense.

If I were a Copt in Egypt, I am not so sure I would be happy about the Mubarak government coming down.  Whatever grievances the Copts may have with Mubarak they pale in comparison to what would happen if the Muslim Brotherhood (the guys who assassinated Sadat for making peace with Israel)  or other Islam-based political groups came to power, and the chances of that happening are more than trivial.

But then Christians don't seem to fare well pretty much anywhere in that part of the world, except maybe for Syria (Dictatorship), Lebanon (Hezbollah coming to power will put an end to that) and Jordan (a Constitutional Monarchy where the King weilds substantial power including the ability to hire and fire all judges).  Christians actually faired pretty well under the Sadaam regime in Iraq (#2 man, Tariq Aziz was a Chaldean Christian) , but now that the dictatorship is long gone, they too are being persecuted and driven out of the country in the name of Islam.

Here is an interesting article from CoptsUnited and how Copts are faring with their Islamic brethren:

http://www.coptsunited.com/Details.php?I=353&A=2928

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/29/11 at 7:30 pm

Revolutions are messy things, after all, you can;t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, and that looks like what is starting in Egypt.  And if that's true, than the outcome is anybody's guess.  Right now, I believe our best option is to watch and wait, but I don't think we can tolerate another "Islamic Republic" and should do all we can to prevent it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/29/11 at 9:12 pm

Revolutions are messy things, after all, you can;t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs, and that looks like what is starting in Egypt.  And if that's true, than the outcome is anybody's guess.  Right now, I believe our best option is to watch and wait, but I don't think we can tolerate another "Islamic Republic" and should do all we can to prevent it.

Well if the Mubarak regime falls, one of the groups that stands a chance of taking over are these boys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Brotherhood

They worked with the Nazis in WW2, assassinated the Egyptian Prime Minister Pasha in 1948, attempted to assassinate President Nasser back in 1954, and they successfully assassinated Anwar Sadat (a former member himself) in 1981.  Their stated goal is to establish Islamic state rule.

These guys tried their shenanigans in Syria back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, but they made a decided miscalculation when they attempted to assassinate President Assad in Syria.  Assad ordered a "scorched earth" operation against the Brotherhood's Syrian stronghold, Hama, in 1982 which effectively eliminated them.  After seeing 25000-40000 of their pals and family members annihalated by Assad's troops in 1982 in a massive carpet-artillery attack, they decided that Syria was no place for them to act up.  To this day in Syria, one does not have to worry about Islamic Brotherhood violence because they know the retaliation will be severe and monumentally disproportionate.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/29/11 at 10:22 pm

Well if the Mubarak regime falls, one of the groups that stands a chance of taking over are these boys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_Brotherhood

They worked with the Nazis in WW2, assassinated the Egyptian Prime Minister Pasha in 1948, attempted to assassinate President Nasser back in 1954, and they successfully assassinated Anwar Sadat (a former member himself) in 1981.  Their stated goal is to establish Islamic state rule.

These guys tried their shenanigans in Syria back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, but they made a decided miscalculation when they attempted to assassinate President Assad in Syria.  Assad ordered a "scorched earth" operation against the Brotherhood's Syrian stronghold, Hama, in 1982 which effectively eliminated them.  After seeing 25000-40000 of their pals and family members annihalated by Assad's troops in 1982 in a massive carpet-artillery attack, they decided that Syria was no place for them to act up.  To this day in Syria, one does not have to worry about Islamic Brotherhood violence because they know the retaliation will be severe and monumentally disproportionate.

you'll notice though that this group is not the same as the old group... they were in power recently as the token minority "opposition" party and have been mellowed out since their more radical days.  kind of like baby boomers >grin<

Muslim and Christian, Egyptians stand together against violence The Coptics were more pissed about the current government's inaction in the wake of the bombing, so they're actually hopeful that a new government could be better. Officially the church isn't taking sides, but unofficially they are... High stakes and hopes for Egypt's Christians in historic protests There's no doubt things could get worse, but they certainly weren't getting better under the current government.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/11 at 1:47 am

you'll notice though that this group is not the same as the old group... they were in power recently as the token minority "opposition" party and have been mellowed out since their more radical days.  kind of like baby boomers >grin<

The most interesting development today was the attack on the Museum of Cairo.  While civilians surrounded the building to protect it, government goons, posing as civilians, broke in through the roof, and smashed up a few (relatively) unimportant artifacts.  When the goons were apprehended, they had government ID on them.

Best info I have suggests the MB is waiting in the wings to see how it plays out.  They might be able to capitalize on it (which would be a Bad Thing), but they might just accept their role as a bit player in whatever political system emerges out of the dust. 

The jury's still out on whether the army takes what the government offered it, and the army's decision will determine the outcome.  Our best move at this point would be to stay out of it.

http://i.imgur.com/LjM0C.jpg

Unfortunately, it's about 30 years too late to convince that guy that we're staying out of it.

Written By: Creeder on 01/30/11 at 3:06 am

I hope the army intervenes and restores order.
Mubarak is a great democrat and friend of the west and he must rule until the end of his life.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/11 at 7:47 am

Mubarak is a great democrat and friend of the west and he must rule until the end of his life.

The way things have snowballed over there then end of his life could be imminent.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/30/11 at 8:26 am

The way things have snowballed over there then end of his life could be imminent.

Unless he gets his fat a$$ out of there

Written By: danootaandme on 01/30/11 at 1:24 pm

Unless he gets his fat a$$ out of there

I'm sure someone will take him in.  Maybe they have room in Texas.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/30/11 at 6:08 pm

I'm sure someone will take him in.  Maybe they have room in Texas.

Yeah, in Crawford, that village is still missing its idiot since he moved to what, Dallas?  Which probably has more idiots than it needs

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/30/11 at 9:29 pm

The most interesting development coming out of this has been that the news has slowed to a relative trickle.  I hate to say it, but nuking the Internet has slowed the degree to which developments can be tracked by armchair observers.  Compared to the failed Iranian counterrevolution a few years ago (buncha kids tried to overthrow the fundies, got beaten down, and the whole world watched in real time), it's pretty much an informational vaccuum out there.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/11 at 11:48 pm

Will the same thing happen in the US? If it does, will it be as extreme as this Egypt revolution?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/11 at 6:20 am

Will the same thing happen in the US? If it does, will it be as extreme as this Egypt revolution?

Well the last time we had a revolution over here, we kicked some serious butt.  :P

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/11 at 7:41 am

We came close during the great depression, sit-in strikes, food riots, all sorts of pre-revolutionary stuff.  Thanks to FDR we avoided it.  Basically, he saved the system with the New Deal, then WWII ended the depression.

Check out a book called Poor People's Movements by Francis Fox Piven (who has been featured on Glenn Beck) and Richard Cloward, from the 1970's I think.  If the gap between rich and poor continues to grow, and if the poor become poorer, more desperate, the conditions for an uprising could easily develop here. 

Written By: 80sfan on 01/31/11 at 9:41 am

Well the last time we had a revolution over here, we kicked some serious butt.  :P

;D Yes, we did.

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/11 at 6:33 pm

;D Yes, we did.

Actually, if you read the military history of the revolution, we got our butts kicked a lot more than we kicked the Brits.  We won Saratoga, we won Trenton, and we won the most important battle, the last one (with a good deal of health from Rochambeau and the French fleet - and the incompetence of a British admiral - Rodney I think).  But mostly the Brits kicked our butt.  But then, if you win the last battle you usually win the war.  We did, and mostly as a result of luck and pluck, not military finesse

Written By: Don Carlos on 01/31/11 at 6:53 pm

The latest I heard was that the rank and file military is on the side of the people, while the high command is (so far) backing Mubarak.  The party is just beginning.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/11 at 7:03 pm

http://www.boingboing.net/raiders.jpg Courtesy of Boing Boing

Click through and read the whole thing

Mubarak is a dictator and has committed awful atrocities while his people starve. I'm sure the US Govt. will miss their puppet in the region, but they should be used to that by now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/11 at 10:33 pm

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/16746/slide_16746_232953_large.jpg

Yup, violent fundie whackjobs all.  (Hint: If these protesters were really fundamentalists, they wouldn't be showing their faces, let alone their hair.)

That's not to say the fundies won't make a grab for power when the dust settles, but it is to say that if they do, they're going to have to work for it.

Stratfor had a pretty good report:

1) Mubarak wins, or leaves for the Caymans, but his successor continues the regime.
2) Protestors win, hold elections, and start up a democracy.
3) Protestors win, hold elections, and elect a theocracy.
4) Nobody wins, country turns into Somalia.

Place your bets, the last ISP in Egypt just went dark.  (When the stock market hasn't traded for a few days and isn't trading again tomorrow, the government don't need its ISP either.)

Next, they'll have to stop routing all international telephone calls.  And hope that nobody smart enough to build a HAM radio is simultaneously dumb enough to broadcast from it at home instead of while on the road.  And they'll have to confiscate all the satellite phones. 

http://i.imgur.com/8ih0w.jpg

Because unless they do all that and more, they still can't stop the signal.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/11 at 6:59 am

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/16746/slide_16746_232953_large.jpg

Yup, violent fundie whackjobs all.  (Hint: If these protesters were really fundamentalists, they wouldn't be showing their faces, let alone their hair.)

I wonder if these are the same gals who stormed the Abu Zabaal prison (in a shootout) and let out all the extremists? ???

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/11 at 11:30 am

I wonder if these are the same gals who stormed the Abu Zabaal prison (in a shootout) and let out all the extremists? ???

I'm more willing to believe those were the secret police.  there have been plenty of reports of the police trying to stir up trouble any way they can.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/11 at 12:45 pm

Actually, if you read the military history of the revolution, we got our butts kicked a lot more than we kicked the Brits.  We won Saratoga, we won Trenton, and we won the most important battle, the last one (with a good deal of health from Rochambeau and the French fleet - and the incompetence of a British admiral - Rodney I think).  But mostly the Brits kicked our butt.  But then, if you win the last battle you usually win the war.  We did, and mostly as a result of luck and pluck, not military finesse

I think that there will be protest in the US, but it won't be as bad as in Egypt. Sure, it'll be a big deal, but probably not on the level of Egypt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/11 at 2:01 pm

Egyptian protesters hold a massive rally in the capital, Cairo, as leaders of the movement call on President Mubarak to step down by Friday.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/11 at 2:35 pm

Egyptian protesters hold a massive rally in the capital, Cairo, as leaders of the movement call on President Mubarak to step down by Friday.

What happens if he doesn't step down?

Written By: Brian06 on 02/01/11 at 3:10 pm

Apparently Mubarak will not be seeking reelection.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/01/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/01/11 at 7:26 pm

That, of course, remains to be seen.  In these kinds of situations, one never knows, but I would guess that the army still holds the key.

Apparently Mubarak will not be seeking reelection.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/01/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1

Yes, but he did not say he would step down until his term ends.  That, of course, could change.  If I had to bet, I say he would be out of office within a week.  From what he said, though, I doubt he will go into exile.

What comes next?  My bet is that Mohamed El Baridai (? - former head of the International Atomic Energy Agency) will be some sort of honcho, at least temporarily.  But what do I know.

Written By: Emman on 02/02/11 at 4:49 am

One important contributing factor to these government revolts and food riots is the massive price inflation that is happening, fuel and commodity prices are going up. The fed is causing this inflation with their "quantitative easing", flooding the world with devalued US dollars, they sure want those interest rates to stay low don't they, at ALL cost ::).

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/02/11 at 7:46 am

One important contributing factor to these government revolts and food riots is the massive price inflation that is happening, fuel and commodity prices are going up. The fed is causing this inflation with their "quantitative easing", flooding the world with devalued US dollars, they sure want those interest rates to stay low don't they, at ALL cost ::).

I'm confused.  Here in the US, we are in danger of DEFLATION.  The fed likes to see some inflation, but we are below there target.  I don't know that there is massive inflation in Egypt either.  There is massive unemployment, lots of corruption, lots of police brutality, and an unresponsive administration. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/02/11 at 11:39 pm

I'm confused.  Here in the US, we are in danger of DEFLATION.  The fed likes to see some inflation, but we are below there target.  I don't know that there is massive inflation in Egypt either.  There is massive unemployment, lots of corruption, lots of police brutality, and an unresponsive administration.  

He's probably talking about food inflation.  Prices of raw agricultural commodities have skyrocketed over the past year.  If you eat Corn Flakes and Rib Eyes, where the cost of the manufacturer's margin, distributor's margin, retailer's markup, marketing, and the cardboard packaging is $4.50 of the $5.00 per box you pay for name-brand cereal (and the cost of the corn feed is probably only $2.00 out of the $15/lb you pay for a slab of prime rib), then it's not so bad. (And that's why we're still worried about deflation.)

But if you eat, you know, actual corn...

http://i.imgur.com/lBgdk.jpg

...then the more dollars the Ben Bernanke prints to keep us out of a deflationary spiral, the higher the price of commodities denominated in US dollars. 

Food inflation's a contributory/proximate cause, however, not the root cause.  The root causes of the revolts in Tunisia, Egypt, and at the rate things are going, maybe a few other nations are pretty much the ones you cite.  A huge youth population (50%+ of the population is under 35) with nothing to do (and amongst them, unemployment is in the 30% range) and all day to do it.

So you're both right.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/11 at 12:11 am

We found out today, because that sure as hell wasn't a resignation speech yesterday.

Here's a reasonable analysis from yesterday.  Some of it should still be valid, and all of the background information makes sense.

But to answer your question, what happens is sorta like what happened in Iran.  Plainclothesed cops pretend to be loyal supporters of the regime.  (Or like what happened in Tienanmen Square, you bring in troops from rural areas who have no idea what's going on, but who know how to crack heads -- Egypt's problem is that nobody lives in the boonies.  Since the rest of the country's a desert, 99% of the population lives, rather sensibly, along the Nile River and the Delta.)

TL;DR: Poop gets real as of a couple of hours ago.

Your best shot at live coverage is probably through Al Jazeera English.  Yeah, yeah, I know, they're a bunch of asshats who weren't on our side during Gulf War 2.  Suck it up.  Their coverage has been sufficiently balanced that they've pissed off not only the government of Egypt, but the government of Qatar, where they're based.  Anyone can beat the crap out of Anderson Cooper, because that's his job - stand on the beach during the hurricane, or jump into a riot - because it's good for CNN's ratings, but if AJE and goes dark, you'll know the gloves have really come off.

Flip a coin.  My current bet is Mubarak steps down in a week or two, turns it over to someone acceptable to both the military and the West.  His son doesn't count.  Doubt Suliman counts either.  Who might work out in that situation is up for grabs.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/11 at 2:52 am

And now, back to the cute chicks from a couple of days ago, before poop got real:

They've got very few firearms compared to the cops.  Stands to reason, being a country in which private firearms ownership isn't exactly as easy to come by as it is in America.  Is it more likely that unarmed chicks stormed a prison - freeing prisoners against the wishes of armed law enforcement in the form of prison guards?  Or is it more likely that cops, friendly to the regime, walked into a prison, and asked fellow law enforcement, namely prison guards, to hand over the keys?

PROTIP: If you're not sure of what to make of random footage of demonstrators, look for pictures of cute chicks.  (You should already be doing that, because, hey, cute chicks!)  If the pro-Mubarak demonstrators are grassroots, why are there no chicks amongst their ranks?  Mubarak's secular, you'd think the chicks showing their hair would be on his side.  If he's trying to buy off the MB, you'd think the chicks covering their hair would be on his side.  Yet there are no chicks amonst those "pro-Mubarak" demonstrators.  The only rational conclusion I can draw from the news footage is that either the pro-Mubarak forces are (as widely expected) plainclothes cops, or that only dudes like Mubarak, and you can extrapolate from there.  NTTAWWT.  (For the record, my bet is that the pro-Mubarak "demonstrators" are cops.  But hey, I gotta consider all the alternatives.)

So the most likely explanation is that the prisoners were busted out by government thugs and paid to bust heads on the protestors.  (Downside for the proestors: The army held back on Feb 2nd, and let the thugs whack a few heads, just like in Iran.)

Anyways, maybe it's just the beer and 25 years, but I feel a song coming on.  Hop into the DeLorean and set the wayback machine for 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01HzvA9DXs

They're breakin out the the prisoners, and freein' 'em from the Pen.
And all she wants to do is dance, dance.
Thugees been thuggin', since I don't know when.
And all she wants to do is dance.

Molotov cocktail, local drink.  Mix 'em up right in the kitchen sink,  (( Sorry about the subscription link, but the headline says it all and STRATFOR is hardly a lefty source. ))
All she wants to do is dance.
Camel jockeys rampaging with blood in their eyes,  ((I had a milder line, but it's not racist if there's video of a government goon with a whip riding a farking camel, is it?  He's a jockey, he's riding a camel, case closed! :))
And all she wants to do is dance, dance,
Wild-eyed banner wavers, who ain't afraid to die.
And all she wants to do is -
And make romance.
She can feel the heat - comin' off the street.
She wants to party (ooh!)
She wants to get down (ooh!)
All she wants to do is -

Well, Mubarak nuked the 'network, Twitter, Facebook page,
And all she wants to do is dance, dance.
Keep his citizens from tweetin' 'bout another day of rage,
And all she wants to do is dance.

Yeah, but that don't keep our boys from makin' a buck or two.
We still can send the army foreign aid from me and you,
And all she wants to do is -
And make romance.

Well we gotta make the airport, for the last plane out,
As we taxi down the runway, I can hear the people shout,
They say "Don't come back here Yankee",
But if I ever do, I'll bring more money,
'Cos all she wants to do is dance.
And make romance.
Never mind the heat - comin' off the street.
She wants to party (ooh!)
She wants to get down (ooh!)
All she wants to do is -

With apologies to Don Henley.  And to the board for the douchetastic triple-post.  But hey, in return for putting up with me, this parody is in the public domain if anyone wants to use (or improve on!) it.  Anyways, yay for hot chicks dancing through the postapocalypse!

Written By: philbo on 02/03/11 at 5:44 am

Flip a coin.  My current bet is Mubarak steps down in a week or two, turns it over to someone acceptable to both the military and the West.

He said he was going to try and hold on until September... made me think:

The weather here has been as nice as it can be
Although it doesn't really matter much to me
For I'll carry on until protesters go away
I might as well reign until September

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/11 at 6:58 pm

How much pressure could an Islamist, anti-Israel, anti-U.S. regime in Egypt exert on OPEC to drive up oil prices?

Anyway, this song has been in my head for the past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP04aWWCDeQ

:o

Written By: Emman on 02/03/11 at 8:43 pm

How much pressure could an Islamist, anti-Israel, anti-U.S. regime in Egypt exert on OPEC to drive up oil prices?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP04aWWCDeQ

:o

For some reason, some of the songs from The Police's album zenyatta mondatta has a sort of middle eastern vibe to me, maybe Sting should come out with a new song about this incident.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/11 at 10:59 pm

It wouldn't have to.  Its very existence would drive up oil prices.  Funny part is, if the Suez actually comes into play, or if they actually try to retake Israel, none of the oil in the Middle East will be worth anything, because there'll be no way to pump it, refine it, or deliver it by tanker.  Which means everybody else's oil will be worth a freaking fortune.

I've got some domestic oil and gas producers as insurance against such a scenario, even though I think the most likely scenario is (a) Mubarak hands reigns over to his appointed successor, protestors crushed, price of oil falls by $5-10 as soon as we realize it's business as usual, or (b) Mubarak regime collapses, Army steps in, free and fair elections, dogs and cats living together, price of oil falls by about $5-10 as soon as we realize Egypt's a pretty secular country and is going to stay that way no matter how this plays out.  I might get a nice spike if everyone panics for a week or two in scenario (b).  

I'll see your Cure and raise you this New Beat classic from 1988.  One guy plays A Split Second's Flesh at 33RPM instead of 45RPM, and the next thing you know, Belgium's got a whole new dance scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir0X4HXz_RU
 - Explorers of the Nile: We Are All Egyptians.

After the events of the past week, it's amazing what a mix of things you get when you search Youtube for the phrase "We are all Egyptians".  Anyone found a video of recent footage with this as the overdubbed soundtrack?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/11 at 6:27 am

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak holds talks with key ministers to try to revive an economy hit by 12 days of protests calling for his resignation.

Written By: Creeder on 02/05/11 at 10:27 am

Islamists are taking over!
The west must support the established arab leaders. If not, big troubles are ahead of us. :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/11 at 10:50 am

The west must support the established arab leaders. If not, big troubles are ahead of us. :-\\

Watching Fox News much?

Cat

Written By: philbo on 02/05/11 at 1:54 pm

Watching Fox News much?

Cat

Way too much from the sound of it...

..plus, you can pretty much guarantee that if we do get involved in the process, it'll make things far, far worse. At least, if history is anything to go by.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/05/11 at 7:32 pm

"established arab leaders" are, in the main, NOT our fiends, those who seek democracy, as in Egypt, could be.  Mubarak is the antithesis of a democratic leader.  Dictators can only stay in power for so long before THE PEOPLE say "ENOUGH".  We can be on the side of reform toward democracy or we can try to perpetuate the rulers that incubate extremists.  Seems to me that the choice is a simple one.

And yeah, too much Fox News - be afraid, be very afraid

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/11 at 12:45 am

They're building a minaret on every minimart as we speak!  Allah help us!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angel8.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/08/11 at 1:05 am

Yeah, why is that?

I mean, OK we needed Sadat in the 80s (and Mubarak, as the thug who took over) as a counterbalance to Soviet influence in the region.  That's why we bought him.  During the 1967 Six-Day War with Israel, Egypt flew MiGs.  During the 1973 Yom Kippur War with Israel, Egypt flew MiGs.  (Well, not so much flew, as the Israelis, flying F-4Es, had blown up most of Egypt's air force up before it left the ground, and when the... well, when people figure out what the Israelis had up their sleeve, things quieted down pretty quick :)

It was only during the 1978 Camp David Accords (the one thing Jimmuh Cartuh sorta got right) that Egypt stopped flying planes beginning with "Tu-" or "MiG-", and tanks beginning with "T-" and "BTR-", and started flying planes that began with "F-" and tanks that began with "M-".  Use Russian-built planes and tanks?  Bad guy.  Use American-built planes and tanks?  Good guy!

The rest, as they say, is history.  We bought Egypt, fair and square, for around $1.5B/year.  Not a bad price.  But with the Russians and Chinese effectively out of the picture as far as taking-over-the-world-via-arms-exports goes, what makes you think we wouldn't be able to buy off the winner with the promise of continued subsidies?  The Egyptian military knows this.  The Egyptian people know this. 

And they know what's happened to Iran over the past 30 years.  Their remaining F-14s from the 80s probably aren't even airworthy anymore.  (I'm still pissed at Iran's thugocracy for staying in power for so long, because worries about our spare parts finding their way to Iran mean that the F-14 will never again grace the skies of an American air show.)

If the Egyptians want to elect a bunch of Muslim fundies (they don't) to start another war with Israel (they don't), the Egyptian army's going to be pretty pissed about having to do it in the first place, and they're going to be really pissed about having to do it without our $1.5B/year in free jets, APCs, and tanks.

Yes, Mubarak may be a bastard, and yes, he was our bastard.  But why can't we prop someone up who isn't a bastard, but actually has the support of his people?  I mean, do people have the right to self-governance or not?  (And if you're about to argue that they don't, well, fine - we can always bomb 'em if they elect someone we don't like :)

Written By: philbo on 02/08/11 at 6:10 am

:)

I assume you know Tom Lehrer's song about America's first line of diplomacy?

When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS, they have their place, I guess
But first..
Send the Marines

..that may have been written nearly half a century ago, but it's still wonderfully relevant.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/08/11 at 8:47 am

:)

When someone makes a move
Of which we don't approve
Who is it that always intervenes?
UN and OAS, they have their place, I guess
But first..
Send the Marines

..that may have been written nearly half a century ago, but it's still wonderfully relevant.

Tom was a genius. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/09/11 at 11:16 pm

Every song of his, by heart.  ("Und I'm learning Farsi" says Werner von Braun... and while we're at it, hey, Iran, we're still waiting, Who's Next? :)

Meanwhile, Wael Ghonim, aka Google Dude, for Egyptian President, for no reason other than that he doesn't want the job.  

Backstory here - Google's head marketroid in Egypt got picked up as part of the protests and held for 12 days by Mubarak's goons.  In a similar post-release interview (the same one?  I dunno, in the upcoming video link I'm blindly trusting some subtitles which I have no way to verify), he broke down in tears when he saw what had been going on, and walked off the set.  

The second-most interesting bit from the CNN interview: "Ghonim, who comes from an affluent Egyptian family, said the activists who organized the protests intentionally designed their movement to be anonymous and faceless, without a clear leader. He cited the movie 'V for Vendetta' as a source of inspiration. When asked whether he was referring to a famous scene of the film's protagonist blowing up Parliament in London, Ghonim laughed. No, he said, he drew inspiration froma character who anonymously advocated for change."

To borrow a line from some other book I read, "He who hath ears to hear, let him hear."

And on to the most interesting bit of the CNN transcript: "They could not believe the young guys were capable of doing this. They were telling me the Muslim Brotherhood was doing this and I told them this is a joke," he said.

So - more evidence that Mubarak's own street-level guys are operating in an informational vaccuum.  (And that if our government started out by getting its information from the "official" sources from within the former government of Egypt, our government's initial reaction was based on similar disinformation too).  Mubarak's dudes really believe what their leaders are telling them, that it's all a Jewish-Muslimbrohos conspiracy, even if neither of those theories (and certainly not both at the same time :) make any sense.  Imagine 1000 clones of Baghdad Bob as your local cops.  Yeah, the Mubarak regime's pretty much toast, but it's going to do a lot of harm on its way out.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/10/11 at 7:36 am

They're building a minaret on every minimart as we speak! 

LOL!  ;D

Written By: philbo on 02/10/11 at 11:46 am

Every song of his, by heart.  ("Und I'm learning Farsi" says Werner von Braun... and while we're at it, hey, Iran, we're still waiting, Who's Next? :)

In which case, you might enjoy an updated version :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/11 at 5:51 pm

Mubarak gave a rambling speech about constitutional revisions and his love for the great land of Egypt.  Twenty minutes of b.s. circumlocution if'n I ever heard it!  It was even more tedious listening to the that stammering translator.  Finally the mob started screaming, "Leave! Leave! Leave!"  Jesus peace be upon him, they're gonna storm the palace.  The old fiddler just can't play the tune!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/10/11 at 11:12 pm

In which case, you might enjoy an updated version :)

Please tell me that someone found someone who could do Lehrer's voice well enough to perform it.  That's gold.

Mubarak gave a rambling speech about constitutional revisions and his love for the great land of Egypt.  Twenty minutes of b.s. circumlocution if'n I ever heard it!  It was even more tedious listening to the that stammering translator.  Finally the mob started screaming, "Leave! Leave! Leave!"  Jesus peace be upon him, they're gonna storm the palace.  The old fiddler just can't play the tune!
::)

Au contraire.  He Rick-Rolled the entire planet.  Here's the canonical Egyptian ETF.  Not really representative, but it'll do.

http://i.imgur.com/3ty4u.jpg

During market hours.  Lulz.

Random news chatter from "senior US officials": Not what we were told would happen, not what we wanted to happen.

Random news chatter from the internets:  Army not actively defending the Presidential palace.  Unclear if it's a threat to the m00b that they won't defend him against the protestors, or if (cue Admiral Ackbar) It's A TRAP!.  Get a bag of popcorn for tonight/tomorrow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/11 at 10:32 am

Please tell me that someone found someone who could do Lehrer's voice well enough to perform it.  That's gold.

Tom Lehrer has a GREAT voice.

Cat

Written By: philbo on 02/11/11 at 11:15 am

No, I've not found anyone to sing it like Lehrer.  I have performed it a couple of times, but that's not quite the same :)

Sic transit gloria Hosni

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/11 at 1:08 pm

Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leader, so what happens now?

Written By: Henk on 02/11/11 at 2:37 pm

My prediction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTt4m65bSc

Written By: nally on 02/11/11 at 2:38 pm

Not sure, but I did see this on the news this morning.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/11 at 4:34 pm

Part-tay Egyptian style.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/11 at 6:06 pm

He resigned!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/11 at 8:23 pm

Rush Limbaugh says the feminists are behind it!
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/11 at 9:15 pm

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/I_C_Weener/article-1353166-0D071ECD000005DC-54-1.jpg

To the right: I'll concede that Egypt's nascent democracy may yet get hijacked by the bad guys.  

To the left: I know you're still bitter about how the dominoes of the former Soviet republics all collapsed within a couple of years of each other, culminating with the implosion of the mothership itself.  But yeah, this is how the Bush Doctrine was supposed to have played out, albeit a few years and a trillion dollars late.

To the Republicans: Y u mad?  Just because it happened under Obama's term instead of Dubya's?  This is what Dubya said was supposed to happen.  One tinpot dictator falls over, and the rest go with him.

To the Democrats: $1.5B/year in foreign aid to a dictator, over 30 years = $45B buys one Westernized army - an army loyal to the nation its sworn to defend, not to the party that happens to be in power.  Pretty rare in the middle east.  A hell of a lot cheaper than letting the Soviets roll over the region, but also a hell of a lot cheaper than doing it the way we did it in Iraq.

Sometimes geopolitics isn't a partisan issue.  

The score now stands at Internets: 2 (Tunisia, 2011, Egypt 2011), Thuggocracies: 1.  (Iran 2009)

The next round appears to be scheduled for Algeria, with Yemen as the side bet.  Game on!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/11 at 10:57 pm

The military government said it will remain in place until peaceful democratic elections are held...they're not setting any timetable though!

It sounds like all the nations of the world are supporting Egypt but will Mubarak's resignation be good for all the world's nations?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/11 at 11:55 pm

The military government said it will remain in place until peaceful democratic elections are held...they're not setting any timetable though!

It sounds like all the nations of the world are supporting Egypt but will Mubarak's resignation be good for all the world's nations?
???

To get serious for a few moments, yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.  The Egyptian military was as close to apolitical as it gets in Egypt.  It's probably had something analagous to "all enemies, foreign and domestic" drilled into it for 50 years, regardless of who was in charge.  Nobody knows how this plays out a year or two from now.

If you're a government, up until 2 days ago, you played it the old-school way: take no risks, hope for no change, because whether Mubarak was your bastard or not, at least you knew whose bastard he is, and whoever you were, you could adjust your policy towards your bastards accordingly.

The Internet had other ideas.  Bad for some analysts' careers, great for some other analysts' careers.

Whether Egypt plays out like how the intel community got blindsided by Iran in the late 70s, or the same intel community was just as surprised by the collapse of the Warsaw Pact in the early 90s, is up for grabs.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Since I'm not in power, nor do I live in Egypt, I don't have to make that judgement call, but from the safety of being behind a keyboard, 30 years sounds like long enough.  Even if it the bad guys hijack the thing and the entire Middle East turns into radioactive soup, even if I did live there, that'd be OK, because the people of Egypt were free for a few days/weeks/months.  Any of those alternatives beats the alternative of another 30 years of autocracy. 

As some other dude put it, "Liberty or GTFO."  (Flip a coin to figure out if I botched the first or the last part of the quote :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/11 at 9:11 am

The score now stands at Internets: 2 (Tunisia, 2011, Egypt 2011), Thuggocracies: 1.  (Iran 2009)

The next round appears to be scheduled for Algeria, with Yemen as the side bet.  Game on!

Tunisia & Egypt are not done YET! The last I heard (my news lately have been sketchy because we are not home) Tunisia is STILL in turmoil. The outcome of that is yet to be seen. Egypt seems to be settling but we still don't know the final outcome as of yet, too.

Stay tuned...

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/15/11 at 7:25 pm

Somehow I am not surprised:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/anderson-cooper-sickened-by-attack-99817

Fortunately some Egyptian soldiers and women intervened...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/11 at 4:54 pm

Hundreds of thousands of people in Cairo's Tahrir Square are celebrating the overthrow one week ago of Hosni Mubarak as Egypt's president.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 4:57 pm

Hundreds of thousands of people in Cairo's Tahrir Square are celebrating the overthrow one week ago of Hosni Mubarak as Egypt's president.

Vive la revolucion, and they didn't fire a shot!  If a bunch of what Ronny Reagan called "sand n***rs can do it, so can we

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/11 at 6:00 pm

Vive la revolucion, and they didn't fire a shot!  If a bunch of what Ronny Reagan called "sand n***rs can do it, so can we

I'm sure that Lara Logan is celebrating the revelry that the peaceful protesters inflicted on her for anywhere from 20 minutes to three hours by various reports.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/11 at 8:17 pm

I'm sure that Lara Logan is celebrating the revelry that the peaceful protesters inflicted on her for anywhere from 20 minutes to three hours by various reports.

From what I read she was attacked by Mubarak goons, not by the anti gov't protesters, many of whom were also assaulted.  Lets get the sides straight.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/20/11 at 11:23 pm

Tunisia, Egypt, who's next?

(No, not you, Fred-from-WBC!)

Libya!  Come on down!  Edging out Bahrain and Yemen and Iran, you're the next contestant on The Peasants Are Revolting!

(And when you get to that 6:55 pm entry from a day or so again, brix will be... umm, whatever it that one does to brix when you see something you really didn't expect to see on a major news organization's liveblog of another international incident.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/11 at 12:47 am

Tunisia, Egypt, who's next?

(No, not you, Fred-from-WBC!)

Libya!  Come on down!  Edging out Bahrain and Yemen and Iran, you're the next contestant on The Peasants Are Revolting!

I know, they've got sh*t all over them....but that's because...THEY'RE PEASANTS!
http://ddq5.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/dennis1.jpg?w=500&h=390

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/21/11 at 1:35 am

I know, they've got sh*t all over them....but that's because...THEY'RE PEASANTS!

How very 70s.  Lemme kick it up a decade:

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/d/d8/Libyans_mall.jpg

Now where are we supposed to find parts for the pinball machine?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/11 at 5:34 pm

Two Libyan pilots flew to Malta today seek asylum.  They claim they had orders to BOMB protesters.  Either they're lying or Khadafi is STILL a flaming azzhole!
>:(

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/21/us-libya-protests-pilots-idUSTRE71K4S320110221

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/22/11 at 12:27 am

Two Libyan pilots flew to Malta today seek asylum.  They claim they had orders to BOMB protesters.  Either they're lying or Khadafi is STILL a flaming azzhole!

Unfortunately, they weren't lying.  (Let's not quibble between "bomb", "strafe", "fire a bucket of unguided rockets in the general direction of...")  Either that or someone's better at photoshopping things onto F-1s than I thought.  I don't know anyone in Malta so I can't speculate as to whether the background or what's under the wings are photoshopped.

On balance of probabilities (stories of protestors being strafed, plus reports that Mubarak tried and failed to pull the same stunt the day that some F-16s overflew the Egyptian protestors), plus the fact that two F-1s appear to not be in Libya anymore, I'm going with it.

~snipped from That Other Website where I get my news~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPPQ4wJ2So

Pilot: Roger. Moving in. Democratic protest in progress. Approximately fifteen-hundred civilians. No weapons evident.

Ghadafy: (on radio) Proceed with plan alpha. Eliminate anything moving.

Pilot: I said the crowd is unarmed! There are lots of women and children down there! All they want is democracy, for god's sake!

Ghadafy: (on radio) As you were Pilot. Proceed with plan alpha. All rioters must be eliminated.

Pilot: The hell with you I will not fire on helpless people! Abort mission. We're going to Malta.

~end snip~

The Governator aside, it probably went down pretty much like that.  I'm looking forward to hearing the pilots' interviews when the dust settles and their families are no longer in jeopardy.  They didn't have the balls to shoot their friends down and start a civil war.  They just had the balls enough to say "Nope, not today, we're flyin' to somewhere that'll let us land, the rest of y'all can come with if ya likes, or you can take potshots at civilians, your choice.  *slams throttles to the firewall*  Kthxbye!"

Balls.  These pilots go "clank" when they walk down the street.  Not "thud".  Not "tink".  They had precisely the right amount of balls for the situation.

Edit: My guess from TV was right.  Yup, rockets

Latest chatter in past 2 hours: Most of Khadafi's diplomatic force has bailed on him already with yesterday's reports of air force attacks on protestors.  Doctors reporting wounds consistent with weapons not normally used against human targets.  Khadaf loyalists targeting doctors.  AJE reports Libyan military officers asking their troops to side with the rebellion.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/22/11 at 6:04 pm

Muammar al-Gaddafi is such a disgusting rotten sonofabitch I wouldn't object at all if they gave him Saddam necktie.  We thought he had some modicum of common sense when he "voluntarily" dismantled his nuke problem.  Thought wrong.
>:(

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/23/11 at 12:02 am

Muammar al-Gaddafi is such a disgusting rotten sonofabitch I wouldn't object at all if they gave him Saddam necktie.  

Why so merciful?  Oh, right.  Front 242.  Old-school industrial.

I'm going with middle-school industrial: Front Line Assembly-style Colombian necktie.  (Edit: Fixt typo in URL)

There's one good thing to come out of this.  Until this morning, I thought there were no lines that couldn't be crossed.  Today, I realize that "ordering your own military to strafe your own citizens" is a line that even the UN thinks shouldn't be crossed.  

I'm not so naive as to believe that the UN will actually do anything (like ask NATO to enforce a no-fly zone) about it, but I was surprised to hear pretty much universal condemnation in the diplomatic communitytoday.  This isn't Realpolitik, there really are rules for what you can do to your citizens, and Quad Daffy really has been told to mark it zero.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/22/11 at 1:32 am

Hey Egypt!  It's been a while!  How ya doin?

Not so good, actually, but that's some awesome photography work.

So, after this weekend's riots opposing the Egyptian military, who've admittedly kinda-sorta dragged their feet on the whole transition to civilian power (turns out that being apolitical is easy when you're out of power, but when you've actually got power, you discover that power doesn't so much "corrupt" you, but is "kinda neat!"), the Egyptian cabinet resigned, and the lulz continue.

I was all set to tip my hat to LyricBoy for calling it, but I just checked all 6 pages of this thread, and he didn't call it in Egypt.  He is on record as having called for this sort of outcome in Libya, though, but we're going to have to wait a bit for that.

For the record, I was also wrong on NATO's willingness to get involved in Libya, as the preceding post proves.  Can't win 'em all.

Written By: philbo on 11/22/11 at 6:48 am

Not so good, actually, but that's some awesome photography work.

There are some fantastic photos there - especially enjoyed the top one with the guy in a gas mask holding a tear gas canister, with a photographer just behind trying to get a shot: something about this latest round of demos where people with cameras seem to be everywhere, outnumbering police and often demonstrators too.

For the record, I was also wrong on NATO's willingness to get involved in Libya, as the preceding post proves.  Can't win 'em all.

I'm not sure that there's a "win" in Libya yet.  Fingers crossed, and all that.

Check for new replies or respond here...