» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: tell it to the OZARK SENTINEL...or applaud...NO ILLEGALS IN MISSOURI ?

Written By: saver on 02/05/11 at 8:11 pm

Missouri has no illegals, go figure......

Missouri 's  approach to the problem of illegal immigration appears to be more advanced, sophisticated, strict and effective than anything to date in Arizona .

Do the loonies in San Francisco, or the White House, appreciate what Missouri has done? When are our fearless President and his dynamic Attorney General going to take action to require Missouri start accepting illegal immigrants once again?

So, why doesn't Missouri receive attention?  Answer:  There are no Mexican illegals in Missouri to demonstrate.

The "Show Me" state has once again shown us how it should be done. There needs to be more publicity and exposure regarding what Missouri has done.

Let's pass this around:

In 2007, Missouri placed on the ballot a proposed constitutional amendment designating English as the official language of Missouri. In November, 2008, nearly 90% voted in favor!  Thus, English became the official language for ALL governmental activity in Missouri. No individual has the right to demand government services in a language OTHER than English.

In 2008, a measure was passed that required the Missouri Highway Patrol and other law enforcement officials to verify the immigration status of any person arrested, and inform federal authorities if the person is found to be in Missouri illegally. Missouri law enforcement officers receive specific training with respect to enforcement of federal immigration laws.

In Missouri, illegal immigrants do NOT have access to taxpayers benefits such as food stamps and health care through Missouri HealthNET.

In 2009, a measure was passed that ensures Missouri’s public institutions of higher education do NOT award financial aid to individuals who are illegally in the United States.

In Missouri, all post-secondary institutions of higher education to annually certify to the Missouri Dept. of Higher Education that they have NOT knowingly awarded financial aid to students who are unlawfully present in the United States .

So, while Arizona has made national news for its new law, it is important to remember, Missouri has been far more proactive in addressing this horrific problem.

Missouri has made it clear that illegal immigrants are NOT welcome in the state and they will certainly NOT receive public benefits at the expense of Missouri taxpayers.

Taken from:  "The Ozarks Sentinel” Editorial - Nita Jane Ayres, May 13, 2010…If the link below does not work, just type in "The Ozarks Sentinel - Nita Jane Ayres" in Google.  Here is the link to confirm: Be sure to read the reader comments too.

http://www.ozarkssentinel.com/missouri-ahead-of-the-game-in-dealing-with-illegal-immigrants-p1034.htm

Subject: Re: tell it to the OZARK SENTINEL...or applaud...NO ILLEGALS IN MISSOURI ?

Written By: snozberries on 02/06/11 at 12:06 am

It's hard to believe you only have 8 fudges .... I mean 9  >:(

Subject: Re: tell it to the OZARK SENTINEL...or applaud...NO ILLEGALS IN MISSOURI ?

Written By: danootaandme on 02/06/11 at 7:33 am

That would probably meet with a shrug and who cares.  I mean really...does any one really go to Missouri unless they absolutely have to?

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/06/11 at 8:10 am

That would probably meet with a shrug and who cares.  I mean really...does any one really go to Missouri unless they absolutely have to?

Don't you mean Misery?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/06/11 at 11:03 pm

Don't you mean Misery?

See, I just love the hypocrisy here. First of all, everyone knows saver is completely full of sh*t and starts inflammatory threads just to get everyone worked up, yet you didn't question the content of his post, you just took it for face value and proceeded to bash my adopted home state.

Second, if anyone said something like, "Does anyone really go to (insert random Third World country here) unless they absolutely have to?" they would immediately be blasted for being ignorant and prejudiced, and the inevitable response would be "How do you know it's so bad if you've never been there?" Yet you seem to have no qualms whatsoever about making a blanket judgment about the entire population of one of your own United States.

I've lived in Missouri for 6 years now and I'll admit, there are a lot of backwards, ignorant, racist bastards here. But there are also a lot more truly awesome people here who have gone out of their way to make me feel at home.  And don't try and tell me that there aren't any ignorant racist people where you live because I know better.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/11 at 12:39 am

There are a lot of backwards, ignorant, racist bastards here in Massachusetts too.  From the rep the state got, you'd think thar ain't be, but thar is!
:D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/07/11 at 7:59 am

See, I just love the hypocrisy here. First of all, everyone knows saver is completely full of sh*t and starts inflammatory threads just to get everyone worked up, yet you didn't question the content of his post, you just took it for face value and proceeded to bash my adopted home state.

Second, if anyone said something like, "Does anyone really go to (insert random Third World country here) unless they absolutely have to?" they would immediately be blasted for being ignorant and prejudiced, and the inevitable response would be "How do you know it's so bad if you've never been there?" Yet you seem to have no qualms whatsoever about making a blanket judgment about the entire population of one of your own United States.

I've lived in Missouri for 6 years now and I'll admit, there are a lot of backwards, ignorant, racist bastards here. But there are also a lot more truly awesome people here who have gone out of their way to make me feel at home.  And don't try and tell me that there aren't any ignorant racist people where you live because I know better.

You're right, mea culpa.  As to the content, what;s to say?  Missouri has passed some draconian laws.  What a shame

Written By: danootaandme on 02/07/11 at 10:14 am

Oh please, I take it on the chin on a regular basis for being in Massachusetts and loving it, I dish it out, but I can take it, I thought you could do the same but it appears your skin is thinner than I supposed.  I never make blanket judgements, but do have a sarcastic bent which I notice you share, so man-up.  I have been many places, Missouri is one, and like every where it is what you make of it, and the people I know in Missouri would be the first to laugh at what I posted.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/07/11 at 6:11 pm

Oh please, I take it on the chin on a regular basis for being in Massachusetts and loving it, I dish it out, but I can take it, I thought you could do the same but it appears your skin is thinner than I supposed.  I never make blanket judgements, but do have a sarcastic bent which I notice you share, so man-up.  I have been many places, Missouri is one, and like every where it is what you make of it, and the people I know in Missouri would be the first to laugh at what I posted.

OK, I'll man up and admit that I don't know you that well, so I may have misinterpreted the spirit of your remark. But the way it was worded, it didn't really come across as being a friendly jibe. As far as my being thin-skinned, I moved down here from Nebraska just over 6 years ago and believe me, I got a ton of crap over it but I gave as well as I took and they accepted me as one of their own.

I dunno, it just came across as a red state-blue state thing, and that's one of those deals that rubs me the wrong way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/11 at 6:39 pm

OK, I'll man up and admit that I don't know you that well, so I may have misinterpreted the spirit of your remark. But the way it was worded, it didn't really come across as being a friendly jibe. As far as my being thin-skinned, I moved down here from Nebraska just over 6 years ago and believe me, I got a ton of crap over it but I gave as well as I took and they accepted me as one of their own.

I dunno, it just came across as a red state-blue state thing, and that's one of those deals that rubs me the wrong way.

Part of the reason why Carlos calls it "Misery" is because he ended up with a black eye there once. We were going across country and spent the night in a motel some place along Route 44. He got up in the middle of the night and the bed spread was on the floor-the shiny side down. He stepped on it and it slid out from under him and he went down-hard. He was lucky to escape with just a black eye. It could have been worse. So, we are basically talking about a personal experience when we call it "Misery."

Cat

Written By: saver on 02/07/11 at 11:25 pm

Well, I enjoy talk radio show banter,which may include LOTS of the articles,comments,and subjects I post admittedly..but I also listen to 'other sides'..to determine if the subject or article writer is off base..without thinking in absolutes of EVERYONE in MO. is  racist etc..I wouldn't believe that, but I'd like to hear maybe how the author was in for a firing for their  remarks..yet no one has mentioned this. Or this may be a minute based group that got this story in the media ..

I believed others who told me in 'some pockets' of the South, you'd best not be Jewish..groups are out there like this.

I found this news interesting/refreshing after all the 'AGAINST ARIZONA' complaints.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/09/11 at 7:10 pm

First of all, sorry for snapping at everyone earlier. It just kind of seemed to me at the time as a "bash the Midwest" kind of thing so I kind of flew off the handle a little bit.

Part of the reason why Carlos calls it "Misery" is because he ended up with a black eye there once. We were going across country and spent the night in a motel some place along Route 44. He got up in the middle of the night and the bed spread was on the floor-the shiny side down. He stepped on it and it slid out from under him and he went down-hard. He was lucky to escape with just a black eye. It could have been worse. So, we are basically talking about a personal experience when we call it "Misery."

Cat

Just be glad Kathy Bates didn't show up with a sledgehammer.  :o :o :o

Well, I enjoy talk radio show banter,which may include LOTS of the articles,comments,and subjects I post admittedly..but I also listen to 'other sides'..to determine if the subject or article writer is off base..without thinking in absolutes of EVERYONE in MO. is  racist etc..I wouldn't believe that, but I'd like to hear maybe how the author was in for a firing for their  remarks..yet no one has mentioned this. Or this may be a minute based group that got this story in the media ..

I believed others who told me in 'some pockets' of the South, you'd best not be Jewish..groups are out there like this.

I found this news interesting/refreshing after all the 'AGAINST ARIZONA' complaints.

The thing is, maybe I'm not quite as up on local events as I ought to be but I do buy a copy of the Kansas City Star 2-3 times a week on average, yet this is the first I've heard of these new laws against illegal immigrants in Missouri. I'm not saying it's untrue but I would think that if it was such a controversial issue I certainly would have heard about it by now, especially considering that one of my best friends from my new job is an immigrant from Mexico.

I dunno. As far as Arizona goes, I don't think they're passing these laws so much out of racism as they are out of desperation. I do believe that we need to secure our border and at least know who's coming in and out of our country, especially in light of the violent drug cartel wars that have exploded in Mexico over the last several years.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/10/11 at 8:33 am

I dunno. As far as Arizona goes, I don't think they're passing these laws so much out of racism as they are out of desperation. I do believe that we need to secure our border and at least know who's coming in and out of our country, especially in light of the violent drug cartel wars that have exploded in Mexico over the last several years.

I agree re controlling the borders but it is a federal responsibility, and we don't need to be punitive about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/11 at 6:08 pm

Chris Lee should run again in Missouri -- it is the "Show Me" state!

http://betacache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/7/2011/02/xlarge_chrislee_frontimage.jpg

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_thumleft.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...