» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Shell Ol publishes report that says... Peak Oil is here

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/14/11 at 6:16 pm

Oil Company Admits Future Is Going To Be Rough

The denials have been coming from the conservatives for a couple decades now that it would ever happen, but here it is... Shell Oil says the peak is here, there's no way the production of oil is going to grow.  Of course when the American Peak Oil prediction was made for the 70s, it was off by a year or two, so here's hoping the same is true this time around.

Subject: Re: Shell Ol publishes report that says... Peak Oil is here

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/14/11 at 6:58 pm

In that case we better start drilling like a mofo...

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/14/11 at 7:22 pm

In that case we better start drilling like a mofo...

Sure, that's the short sighted conservative answer.  May moons ago, in another thread, I suggested that it was just a matter of time, and that oil was to precious to burn.  We need to look beyond fossil fuels. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/14/11 at 10:18 pm

Sure, that's the short sighted conservative answer.  May moons ago, in another thread, I suggested that it was just a matter of time, and that oil was to precious to burn.  We need to look beyond fossil fuels.   

That's what us pro-nuclear folks have been saying for 30 years.

(About 1/3 of my net worth in in the stocks of natural gas, oil, solar, and nuclear companies.  Depressingly, I've still only made money on the fossil fuels, but I believe in hedging my bets.  That company that makes that kickass electric sports car, as well as the people who supply it with batteries and powertrain components - none of which I presently own - are beginning to look interesting again.)

Meanwhile, I'm skeptical of the WSJ's spin on the topic.  I believe Saudia Arabia's reservers are overstated, even if not as wildly overstated as hinted at by you-know-who.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 8:35 pm

That's what us pro-nuclear folks have been saying for 30 years.

That's what the anti-nukers have been saying for 40 years.  As James Howard Kunstler says, no combination of nuclear, wind, solar, and biomass is going to duplicate the luxuries we've had with petrochemicals.  Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to have to scale back our lifestyles, worker harder with our hands, go without so many toys, shop less, and eat smaller portions.

I don't recommend the foregoing as a platform for winning public office.
:-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 5:43 pm

That's what the anti-nukers have been saying for 40 years.  As James Howard Kunstler says, no combination of nuclear, wind, solar, and biomass is going to duplicate the luxuries we've had with petrochemicals.  Ladies and gentlemen, we're going to have to scale back our lifestyles, worker harder with our hands, go without so many toys, shop less, and eat smaller portions.

I don't recommend the foregoing as a platform for winning public office.
:-\\

We're already doing most of that stuff, although I will still winter in PR , but eating less? No way.  To live good is to eat good. 

Check for new replies or respond here...