» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Missouri senator wants to repeal child labor laws

Written By: Ryan112390 on 02/15/11 at 5:23 am

I have been writing about politics and legislation from a workers’ viewpoint for the better part of three decades. I still get angry and my blood pressure jumps when politicians come after workers and unions with the same old lies and bull crap that we are seeing today in states across the country. Just check out here, here and here what’s happening in Wisconsin.

But there isn’t much that surprises me anymore, let alone shocks me. Well, today, I’m shocked. Missouri State Sen. Jane Cunningham (R) has introduced a bill to minimize child labor laws. I could find all kinds of colorful words and descriptions to show just how crazed and outrageous is S.B. 222.

But let’s just use the official summary of the bill from the Missouri state Senate website and if you don’t believe me, click here and read it yourself.

This act modifies the child labor laws:

It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen.

Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed.

It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed.

Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished.

It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ.

It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

http://blog.aflcio.org/2011/02/14/mi...r-laws-really/

Subject: Re: Missouri senator wants to repeal child labor laws

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 9:23 pm

Cunningham could introduce a bill to turn the Gateway Arch into the Gateway Triangle and it wouldn't mean diddly.  I wouldn't worry about it until the legislature is debating to vote on it...and you can look for icicles on Lucifer's balls before that happens!
;D

Subject: Re: Missouri senator wants to repeal child labor laws

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 5:46 pm

If I'm not mistaken, the federal Fair Labor Standard act contains protections for child labor.  So is Missouri also planning on leaving  the union?

Check for new replies or respond here...