» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: SC Congressmen wants separate gold-backed currency for SC

Written By: Ryan112390 on 02/15/11 at 6:19 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110214/us_yblog_thelookout/south-carolina-lawmaker-wants-separate-currency-for-state#mwpphu-container

Subject: Re: SC Congressmen wants separate gold-backed currency for SC

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/11 at 10:15 am

That is illegal under Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 5:06 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110214/us_yblog_thelookout/south-carolina-lawmaker-wants-separate-currency-for-state#mwpphu-container

The last I looked, South Carolina was still part of the union (remember?  They lost that war), and the last time I looked US greenbacks say "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private".  I have no desire to go to South Carolina, but I would love to see someone there refuse a US $20.  What a suit  that would be.  Or if we're lucky, they'll secede, and Vermont's National Guard will do another "Full Measure of Duty"  as Vermonters did almost 150 years ago.  Like li'l Georgie said, "Bring em on"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/11 at 7:59 pm

That is illegal under Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution.

Cat

Yep.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/11 at 8:04 pm

Yep.

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

My guess is that this is what they are hanging their hats on, but there is no way that they can refuse to accept dollar bills

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/11 at 8:20 pm

My guess is that this is what they are hanging their hats on, but there is no way that they can refuse to accept dollar bills

Yeeeah...that's what I was thinking, but I don't know what the hell they're going to back these SC bucks with, crab apples and cigarette butts?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/19/11 at 8:30 pm

Yeeeah...that's what I was thinking, but I don't know what the hell they're going to back these SC bucks with, crab apples and cigarette butts?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Well, gold and silver coins, depending on the rate of exchange between them and the metal market, one could make a killing, if one were so inclined

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/11 at 12:53 am

Well, gold and silver coins, depending on the rate of exchange between them and the metal market, one could make a killing, if one were so inclined

And in 18 months, you've got yourself some nice collector's coins!
:)

Check for new replies or respond here...