» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: SC law to make killing of abortion doctors ''justifiable homicide.''

Written By: Ryan112390 on 02/15/11 at 6:57 pm

A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

"The bill in South Dakota is an invitation to murder abortion providers."
The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/south-dakota-hb-1171-legalize-killing-abortion-providers

Subject: Re: SC law to make killing of abortion doctors ''justifiable homicide.''

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 7:40 pm

This sh*t doesn't stand a snowball's chance of passing constitutional muster.  Jensen knows that.  No sane abortion foe advocates murdering abortion providers.  Jensen is committing an act of terrorism, IMO.  As a legislator vested with the public trust in shaping law that will guide acceptable social norms, it is monstrous for him and his far-right cronies to even suggest killing "abortion doctors" is "justifiable homicide."  The first thing to cross my mind reading the article was, "Sounds like Saudi Arabia." 

As the article points out, there are no abortion providers in the state of South Dakota but for a lone Planned Parenthood doctor who flies into Sioux Falls once a week.  Just maybe those doctors will say, "I can't do my job, I might get shot."  That's a form of terrorism as far as I'm concerned.

What becomes of the 14-year-old girl from an impoverished family way out west of Pierre when she gets raped and impregnated by her own father?  As things are set up in SD now, she's SOL.  Rep. Jensen's rhetoric puts legal abortion even further out of reach.  Yes, his rhetoric alone.  Remember Dr. George Tiller of Kansas City?  Right-wingers kept calling him "Tiller the baby killer," and some dude shot him to death in church!
>:(

Subject: Re: SC law to make killing of abortion doctors ''justifiable homicide.''

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/16/11 at 12:21 pm

Ugh. This is absolutely horrendous. We're going to have abortion providers refuse to perform their already-perfectly legal medical procedure for fear of their lives because of vigilant anti-abortion nutcases.

My only hope is that, should this bullsh*t piece of legislation pass, the state gets the everloving f**k sued out of it.

EDIT

Also, to the OP, your title for this thread is misleading. SC is the abbreviation for the state of South Carolina. The abbreviation for South Dakota if SD.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/11 at 10:19 am

Pro-life, my @$$.

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/17/11 at 10:49 am

This country is in deep shhh

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/18/11 at 4:59 pm

A law under consideration in South Dakota would expand the definition of "justifiable homicide" to include killings that are intended to prevent harm to a fetus—a move that could make it legal to kill doctors who perform abortions. The Republican-backed legislation, House Bill 1171, has passed out of committee on a nine-to-three party-line vote, and is expected to face a floor vote in the state's GOP-dominated House of Representatives soon.

"The bill in South Dakota is an invitation to murder abortion providers."
The bill, sponsored by state Rep. Phil Jensen, a committed foe of abortion rights, alters the state's legal definition of justifiable homicide by adding language stating that a homicide is permissible if committed by a person "while resisting an attempt to harm" that person's unborn child or the unborn child of that person's spouse, partner, parent, or child. If the bill passes, it could in theory allow a woman's father, mother, son, daughter, or husband to kill anyone who tried to provide that woman an abortion—even if she wanted one.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/south-dakota-hb-1171-legalize-killing-abortion-providers

Since politicians cause more harm than abortion doctors I guess they're fair game too

Check for new replies or respond here...