» OLD MESSAGE ARCHIVES «
The Pop Culture Information Society...
Messageboard Archive Index, In The 00s - The Pop Culture Information Society

Welcome to the archived messages from In The 00s. This archive stretches back to 1998 in some instances, and contains a nearly complete record of all the messages posted to inthe00s.com. You will also find an archive of the messages from inthe70s.com, inthe80s.com, inthe90s.com and amiright.com before they were combined to form the inthe00s.com messageboard.

If you are looking for the active messages, please click here. Otherwise, use the links below or on the right hand side of the page to navigate the archives.

Custom Search

Subject: Iran NOC oppose 'racist' London 2012 Olympic logo

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/11 at 7:30 am

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Arts/Arts_/Pictures/2007/06/05/olympics460.jpg

Iran could boycott the London Olympics after claiming the Games' 2012 logo is "racist" because it resembles the word "Zion" - a biblical term for Jerusalem.

Iran's National Olympic Committee sent a letter to the International Olympic Committee criticising the emblem and its perceived link to the city.

The letter also urges other Muslim states to oppose the "racist logo".

A statement from the IOC said: "The London 2012 logo represents the figure 2012, nothing else."

The London logo shows the numbers "2012" in four jagged figures and until now has only been criticised for its design.

With 18 months until the Olympics, a statement from the London Organising Committee added: " was launched in 2007 following testing and consultation.

"We are surprised that this complaint has been made now."

The letter from Bahram Afsharzadeh, the secretary general of Iran's NOC, was sent to IOC president Jacques Rogge and continued: "There is no doubt that negligence of the issue from your side may affect the presence of some countries in the games, especially Iran which abides by commitment to the values and principles."

Iran won a gold and bronze at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing to finish 51st in the medals table.

Hadi Saei won the taekwondo title in the men's under 80kg category. The competition saw Britain's Aaron Cook miss out on a bronze medal after some controversial judging.

Iran's other medal came courtesy of Seyedmorad Mohammadi, who won bronze in the men's 60kg freestyle wrestling.

Subject: Re: Iran NOC oppose 'racist' London 2012 Olympic logo

Written By: ladybug316 on 03/01/11 at 7:35 am

Geez, you can find trouble any place you look.  Tell Iran to stay home!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/01/11 at 6:39 pm

That logo is butt.  It looks like it comes off a can of a '80s hair spray!
;D

Written By: gibbo on 03/01/11 at 7:03 pm

Oh dear...Iran will be sorely missed.  ;D  ;D  ;D    Were they at previous Olympics?  :-\\

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/01/11 at 7:15 pm

Their retaliation for sanctions, ho hum

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/01/11 at 8:19 pm

That logo has been around for 4 years now. Why didn't they make a stink about it when it first came out? They are making a stink about it now because they don't want the world to know that the two leaders of the opposition party & their wives have disappeared. As all of the distraction over the logo is going on, hopefully, no one will notice.

Hey! Look over there!!!! 

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/03/11 at 12:31 am

Iran could boycott the London Olympics after claiming the Games' 2012 logo is "racist" because it resembles the word "Zion" - a biblical term for Jerusalem.

That's not racist!  It might be Rule 34 of Lisa Simpson doing something Very Very Wrong, and therefore put everyone reading this thread up for prison time in Australia, but hey, at least it's not racist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/11 at 3:07 am

That's not racist!  It might be Rule 34 of Lisa Simpson doing something Very Very Wrong, and therefore put everyone reading this thread up for prison time in Australia, but hey, at least it's not racist.
Thank you for bringing that point up, for it was mentioned at the time when the logo was first announced and I did not know how to put it.

Written By: karen on 03/03/11 at 8:51 am

Thank you for bringing that point up, for it was mentioned at the time when the logo was first announced and I did not know how to put it.

I remember we discussed it somewhere on the boards.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/03/11 at 2:45 pm

Iran should stop being sooooo serious about sheesh! (I know I can, but this logo wasn't tended to be done maliciously....)

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/05/11 at 12:09 am

Hey, I'm not the one posting dirty pictures :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/05/11 at 9:07 pm

Hey, I'm not the one posting dirty pictures :)

It's not the first terrible Olympics logo --

Vancouver 2010: Abstract expressionist giant out to get you!
http://67.22.135.46/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/olympic_logo.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/05/11 at 10:25 pm

Vancouver 2010: Abstract expressionist giant out to get you!

Speaking of Vancouver, let's sing a little song.

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/022010/small_vancouver%20olympics%20mascots%20fail.gif

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things does not belong.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/11 at 4:15 am

An Iranian official indicates the country will put aside a complaint about the London 2012 Olympics logo and attend the games.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/13/11 at 11:54 am

An Iranian official indicates the country will put aside a complaint about the London 2012 Olympics logo and attend the games.

Surprise, surprise.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 03/18/11 at 8:12 am

That logo is butt.  It looks like it comes off a can of a '80s hair spray!
;D

Countless millions was frittered away invested in that design!

(Hey, it's taxpayers' money...who cares?)

I think that this pair sum up the colossal amount of apathy that we're beginning to feel over here...can you name them? Thought not...

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Olympic-mascots.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/18/11 at 10:29 am

I think that this pair sum up the colossal amount of apathy that we're beginning to feel over here...can you name them? Thought not...

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Olympic-mascots.jpg

They look like the Teletubbies on LSD.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/11 at 1:02 pm

Can the rainbow behind them be explained?

Written By: Paul on 03/18/11 at 2:37 pm

If it means what it could mean, then that will definitely upset the Iranians...

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/19/11 at 1:41 am

Single rainbow.  What does it mean?

Check for new replies or respond here...